Oregon get together 4?

Guest Long_strider

I work in Tigard and might be able to arrange something at Cook Park. We have used this location for company picnics in the past. I will check out the date and see what I can do. I will post later today about what I have come up with as an option.

We have also used the park on the Williamette near West Linn and Gladstone. It is ok because of the access to water but the facilities are not quite as nice as Cook.

Long_strider

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm familiar with Clackamette Park, that's a good option, although the facilities may not be as good as Cook. I'll look into it and see what's available. Yeah, the most beautiful option would be Latourell (sp?) park in the gorge, but I don't remember seeing a shelter with a BBQ there. But Kim if you think it's good, I'll look into it. Juxin and I will be driving out to Troutdale tonight, we can drive over there and see first hand. I know Blue Lake too, but sometimes that place is like a zoo, but not in the good or fun way.

Guest Long_strider

If we want to use Cook park, I have a friend who is a resident of Tigard and will make the arrangements. The online reservations system for Cook is down right now.

Let me know if you want me to proceed with booking the site if it's available.

long_strider

If we want to use Cook park, I have a friend who is a resident of Tigard and will make the arrangements.  The online reservations system for Cook is down right now.  

Let me know if you want me to proceed with booking the site if it's available.

long_strider

Thanks LS for looking into that!

Latourell Falls in the gorge is also available on that day, but I'm not 100% certain of the facilities available there. It would cost $41 grand total, much more reasonable :blink: Juxin and I will go out there this evening and check it out. If it's good we'll shoot for that (so pretty there!). Otherwise it might be Cook Park. Still trying to get more info on Clackamette Park ... the nice folks that work at Oregon City Parks Department only work from 10 am to 2 pm, nice hours.

Sorry, Jim,

I'm probably too late withs this post ------

---- you have to hunt to find the shelter and picknic area at Laturell ------ its off the road and not obvious--- in fact, you need to turn down a small country road a couple hundred yards into the historic community of Laturell .. very peaceful, but also with a nice trail that leads up to the falls....

Guest Long_strider

I just finished tentative arrangements for June 26th Sunday from 12 until 6 pm at Cook Park for Shelter #3 with the City of Tigard. I guessed at the time. Hope this is ok?

Jim, I will be receiving the paperwork within the next three days by mail. I can cancel the reservation or confirm, whatever you and the others wish to do. I just wanted to get the reservation on the book with the City of Tigard before all the shelters were reserved. Let me know what your thoughts are.

If $ is a concern for the reservation, I can take care of this personally.

long_strider.

Yes, thanks Mike for making the reservation at Cook Park. But! We went out to Latourell Park yesterday evening, and it's an excellent site! Gorgeous scenery there and in the area, and the facility itself is superb ... nice big shelter with picnic tables, and countertop with a sink with running water and several electrical outles should we need electricty. Plenty o' parking. Just outside there is a nice BBQ grill, maybe 2 feet by 2 feet, about 3 feet off the ground, but sectioned in half so there can be two fires going at the same time, then more picnic tables outside, surrounded by nice tall trees, so some tables with have full sun (if any) and others in the shade. Bathrooms nearby, yet still private and a feeling of "remoteness". Lots of green grass, Juxin loves that :blink: Then just a short (but steep) jaunt up the path to the main road, then a 1 minute hike to the beautiful 250-foot falls, very impressive. And the roads that lead to the falls (Historic Columbia Gorge Highway) is packed with scenery. Yet, it is a bit of a drive from Portland (about 26 miles).

I'm voting for Latourell Park. What do you guys think? Cook Park is more centrally located, but Latourell is more ... memorable?

Any objections to Latourell Park??

Guest Long_strider

No problem, Jim! Sounds like Latourell Park is a great place with nice scenery.

It's easy to cancel the reservation at Cook.

long_strider

Jim you da man. If you say the falls then it's the falls. Sounds beautiful. Jason if you want to skip the rental car you are more than welcome to ride out with Bing and I. It is only about a 25 minute drive from our house.

Jim you da man.  If you say the falls then it's the falls. Sounds beautiful.  Jason if you want to skip the rental car you are more than welcome to ride out with Bing and I.  It is only about a 25 minute drive from our house.

Thanks for the offer ! I would like to take you up on the offer. I hate to be a pest, but could you also help pick me up from the airport ?

Any suggestions on what would be a good location to stay ? I don't want you to have to drive all over for me, thats a little too much to ask.

WE'RE ON!

SUNDAY JUNE 26TH, 2:00 PM

LATOURELL FALLS PICNIC AREA

(INSIDE GUY W. TALBOT STATE PARK IN THE COLUMBIA GORGE)

Picnic area website:

Guy W. Talbot State Park (Latourell Falls picnic area is inside park)

You can go to the above website to get MapQuest directions, but the following directions should work well too:

SCENIC ROUTE (very highly recommended)

> Drive eastbound on I-84 from Portland

> Take exit 35 "Historic Hwy; Ainsworth State Park"

> End of off-ramp, turn RIGHT towards "Multnomah Falls"

> 1/10 mile later, turn LEFT onto Historic Columbia River Hwy, towards "Ainsworth State Park"

> Drive 10 miles westbound on HCRH (stop and enjoy many falls along the way)

> Drive past "Latourell Falls" sign, drive 1/10 mile further uphill

> Turn RIGHT onto "LATOURELL RD" (see brown PICNICKING sign)

> Drive down steep hill to bottom

> Turn RIGHT onto "NE LATOURELL RD"

> Drive 100 yards, look for all the happy people

DIRECT ROUTE

> Drive eastbound on I-84 from Portland

> Take exit 28 "Bridal Veil Falls"

> End of off-ramp, turn RIGHT, follow until road ends at Y

> Turn RIGHT towards "HISTORIC HWY WEST; CROWN POINT"

> Drive westbound 3.1 miles

> Turn RIGHT onto "LATOURELL RD" (see brown PICNICKING sign)

> Drive down steep hill to bottom

> Turn RIGHT onto "NE LATOURELL RD"

> Drive 100 yards, look for all the happy people

Lat.: 45.537324 N

Long.: -122.227212 W

Everybody is welcome - looking forward to seeing everybody there!! More posts to follow regarding places to stay, things to bring, etc.. P.S. We have the picnic area for the whole day, from 8 am to 8 pm :ph34r:

Well we Californians don't expect a lift from here but when the place is settled could you post near by hotels to crash for the night and can someone give us lifts that would help. Airport on arrival to hotel/motel (hot water preferred), hotel/motel/youth hostel/card board box to BBQ, BBQ to airport. If this can be arranged between those with cars I think it would be a great help for us foreigners. Seems the foreign invasion is swelling are there enough lambs around portland for this or should I bring a few goats.