Chinese Telegraphic Code theory

I was just thinking of any possible additions to this ridiculous delay...one that came to mind was the Chinese telegraphic code. On the P3, it states to write the fiancee's Chinese name in telegraphic code, so I was wondering maybe this "adds" to the delay because some codes might have been entered wrong, left blank, or whatever. The post above said that GZ enters "something" in the system. Could that "something" be the Chinese telegraphic code? I'm thinking that's a way that DOS can perform the name checks, and these codes are the only readable format for both parties, GZ and DOS.

I don't know if GZ even uses these codes anymore; I've heard that some couples don't even fill out this portion. I've also heard that GZ doesn't even take these codes into account anymore. As for us, we "tried" to put down the codes, but I think we only got 1 out of the 3 correct.

Any other perspectives on the Chinese telegraphic code?

Given the code, experts can actually write down the Chinese characters, because they are uniquely organized (I read it somewhere). It's an easy two way translations between the code and the character, which is important for cable...

I spent several good hours in the library trying to look for the right reference when I was filling the form.

Pinyin will have too many words for the same pronunciation.

Anyways, I don NOT think the current situation is a technical problem any more, but rather a managerial and executive one - given the random processed cases...

My fiancee's name has 3 words, but we knowingly wrote down 1 correct code out of the three, and for the other 2 words, we wrote the codes for whatever looked similar. Do you think this will affect our case? If so, do you know of any links on the Internet with this information. I know the CUC message board has info, but it didn't help us.

I believe the telegraph code is only sent to Chinese government for them to keep track on who has actually left the country. The US is not that sophisticated to understand the telegraph code, or to go back in time that far, as telegraphic code has long be out of use when the telegraph died a decade ago. The modern way to represent Chinese characters is GB2312, as is used on 001, or Unicode. Then again, if US government still issues papers printed 10 years ago, do you really think they can keep track of the technology?

sy

I believe the telegraph code is only sent to Chinese government for them to keep track on who has actually left the country.  The US is not that sophisticated to understand the telegraph code, or to go back in time that far, as telegraphic code has long be out of use when the telegraph died a decade ago.   The modern way to represent Chinese characters is GB2312, as is used on 001, or Unicode.  Then again, if US government still issues papers printed 10 years ago, do you really think they can keep track of the technology?

sy

I don't think that has anything to do with the Chinese government, who will find out who left the country anyways by the Custom.

Basically the US government still use technology that is over 10 years old - which is the telegraphic code, even before computers, that can be easily used in cable communications..

We were lucky. We filed the initial paperwork at Shenyang Consulate and they had a book which gave the Chinese Telegraphic codes. I didn't find it hard to use at all.

This would be a good way to solve the problem of how to enter the Chinese names into their system. But then, that would be too obvious and easy.

Oh, right.  They are still using technology that's 100 year old.  We are the victims of technology, or the lack of.  But I still doubt if they actually use Chinese characters for their name check.

image - pattern recoganition could be used, something like the way they used for fingerprints, but i doubt they actually immplemented that...