K1 Denial after white slip

Since the Embassy is in China, does the work ethic and way of doing business appear to be more 'American' or 'Chinese' in attitude?  I've wondered if such a setup takes on the prevailing attitude of handling people that goes on in that host country?

I think the consulate in GuangZhou must have its own "work ethic" if one can call it that.

I cannot think of any other business or government office here in the US, that would ask people to wait outside for anything, and then hours later, tell them that everyone in the office has gone home for the week-end.

My own opinion about the consulate in GuangZhou, is it treats people in the most demeaning, degrading and unprofessional manner I have ever witnessed.

If this sort of thing happened in the US, if it were a company, it would be out of business in no time, and if it were a government office, there would be complaints and protests all around.

But that is only my personal opnion. I am sure the people at the consulate in Guangzhou don't have any problem with asking people to stand for hours and then later tell them they have all gone home for the week-end.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the consulate in GuangZhou must have its own "work ethic" if one can call it that.

I cannot think of any other business or government office here in the US, that would ask people to wait outside for anything, and then hours later, tell them that everyone in the office has gone home for the week-end.

My own opinion about the consulate in GuangZhou, is it treats people in the most demeaning, degrading and unprofessional manner I have ever witnessed.

If this sort of thing happened in the US, if it were a company, it would be out of business in no time, and if it were a government office, there would be complaints and protests all around.

But that is only my personal opnion. I am sure the people at the consulate in Guangzhou don't have any problem with asking people to stand for hours and then later tell them they have all gone home for the week-end.

I think that what I'm trying to get at is whether they are following the behaviors and norms that Chinese might be more apt to do. From all I've heard, I think it's a mistake to compare them to a US company, even if it is the US Embassy.

In order to understand these behavior, one needs to figure out where it comes from.. if it's simply because they are on Chinese soil or because they are simply good for nothing government workers or it's a power issue, etc.

I was awestruck while in China to see how different people were often handled or how the people would stand in rain for hours without a complaining comment because that's just the way things are.

I can see your point.

Things are different in China, and maybe this sort of treatment can be considered more common or normal there.

But the US consulate in China should be working and operating by US standards, treating other people with the US sense of human rights and dignity.

The workers at the consulates are ambassadors in a sense of what is American, just as we are when we are in China. The Chinese people learn about the US how Americans treat them.

At a minimum, I would think the consulate should provide a "waiting room" for those who are waiting for visas, etc. This would seem to be the least they could do.

Just wait till you have to Adjust Status in the US.. The BCIS offices here in States aren't that much better.. I remember standing outside the BCIS (formerly INS) Office in Seattle in 2000 for over 5 hours. Happened during a cold spell so it was bitterely cold outside. Me and the person I was inline with would take turns going to my car and getting warm. There must have been 100-120 people in line that morning. I have also recently been to the Federal Building in Boston and had to wait inline outside too, although the wait was not as long as the Seattle Office. It was still an all day trip none the less. So don't expect our lovely State Dept to change policy just because your within the US borders.

I have come to believe that if it has anything to do with the government, federal, state, or local; doesn't matter, when it come right down to it...

You must hurry up and wait :-)

I got visa yesterday!!!

The other 2 and me who didnt get visa on Friday while we hold the white slip finally got our visa yesterday!!!

Good luck to everybody.

njbernie: CONGRATS!!! Happy you got your visa!

springmud: CONGRATS too!!!

You had us scared but at least you got the visa!

It's pretty close to inconceivable to me that they would get down to the last 4 visas then just go home because it was quitting time!

Trigg: You should send your little lady over there to give them a good mop slappin!! Dang gummint 'ficcials - :D

Finally back home with my SO and her Visa! First off, thanks for everyones support, I was going nuts and this is a really good place to turn to when you need some support. Here's the summary or what happened.

My SO's interview was on the 14th of April (Thursday). We were hoping to leave by the 16th because if everything went well, we would have received the visa on the afternoon of the 15th (No more flights back to her home town till the next day).

April 14th Interview, White Slip.

April 15th Denail slip. (Rainbow of colors: Yellow, Blue, Green, Pink).

April 18th Notarized my Visa on the Consulate and Attended the Citizens Hour

April 19th 9-10AM Resubmitted the requested paperwork

April 20th 2-3 PM Picked up the result (Got the while slip again). This time were were not as excited because, it was the same white slip as she got the first time.

April 21st In the morning, she got her shots and picked up her International Stamp of immunization records.

April 21st 4-5 PM Picked up her VISA!!!

Interview questions:

1) Why do you and your fiance want to get merried?

2) What does he do for work?

3) Here did you meet?

4) When did he see you?

According to my SO, the interview went pretty well, the VO was friendly and courteous. But if I ever see that bast-*d on the street, I am willing to get a little violent. He's young, early to mid 20s, curly blond hair, short, thin, glasses, braces. I was looking for him the whole time I was there after the interview, couldn't have been so tough to spot.

Lessons learned:

1) I would have saved a day if I resubmitted the paperwork on Monday. Instead, I decided to wait for the citizens hour for some questions to get answered.

2) Have more confidence, I did my homework and read alot of information to prep my materials, and the VO got me worried that I did not do my job properly.

3) If you are there, make sure you have your SO show them your passport even if they don't ask for it. Just have your SO tell them you are outside waiting and have her show it to them.

4) Make sure you have an extra week, or at least time for the followup if you are denied. It takes at least another 3 days. I was lucky I took an extra week off work.

5) Imodium is a lifesaver! Watch wat you eat & drink, I got food poinsoning the first day in Guangzhou, had the chills, fever for a day and digestive issues for a week.

Finally, good luck to everyone going through this painful ordeal!

ab