GZ WARNING AGAIN

cqhk Posted: Apr 10 2005, 07:52 AM

Sorry to hear the muggings and the thefts happened. At least no one was seriously hurt.

I've lived in Hawaii, California, Arizona, Virginia, Utah, and Georgia. I've been to Guizhou, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou. Quite honestly, I felt safer in China than most places I've lived or visited in the US.

Yes, I saw the predators in China, but really now are they even close to the kinds of predators that we have in the major cities here? Not even close.

I've ridden MARTA in Atlanta, GA and I've ridden the subway in Guangzhou. Guangzhou's subway is much safer. Could the train station in Guangzhou be more dangerous than Central Station in NY?

While in China we walked whenever possible, and we walked around until the early hours of the morning. We saw some shady characters, but not even close to the shady characters I've seen walking around in broad daylight in LA.

Never had a Chinese person mad dawg me like I've had people do to me in Hawaii or any other place I've been in the US. Definitely never had a Chinese person square off on me and yell, "State your claim m-therf-cker!"

Your SO going to Guangzhou for the interview is like someone from NY going to LA for an interview, or visa versa. If she's a stranger to the place, then she just needs to be a little more aware of things.

I don't think any barrio in America is safer than Guangzhou. lol, come on. NY safer than Guangzhou? I admit, not even Hawaii is safer than Guangzhou for a tourist. Just avoid the bad areas, and think safety first.

Predators prey on the weak whether out of hatred or straight meaness. We shouldn't make ourselves victims of the fear. Just remember it's better to lose a few dollars, than to lose a few teeth or worse. Swallow your pride and give up the goods. Realisticly, if you get mugged in China you are dealing with more than just the two people confronting you. Just like their American counterparts they run in packs. If it came down to a brawl, one american is no match for the worms that will come out of the woodwork to get a good shot in on you. And, what happens to your SO after they take you out?

Seen it happen many times in Hawaii, CA, and Utah. Send a small guy to bait a bigger guys into a fight. Next thing you know, someone's going to the hospital. Seen teenagers pummel grown men, so please swallow your pride especially if your SO is with you.

As far as health, lol. That is a different animal. Los Angeles is living in the country fresh air, compared to many cities in China. That's one thing China definitely has to work on, the polution. I'm sure they'll get it together.

I did have a few close calls with some clowns in different areas in Guangzhou, but Helen pulled me away. She was right to do so. No telling how many more of those clowns were around. Just keep walking, cat calls never hurt anyone. Now if you're rolling deep, then by all means take care of business.

And in Shenzhen as well as Guizhou, I wanted to confront some idiots walking by who made comments about Helen being with a foreigner. lol, no one identified me as Chinese. Helen said I was too big to be Chinese, even though my eyes and skin look asian.

Anyway, if this were a poll, I'd vote China is safer in relation to violent criminals and random acts of violence.

However, if I was a criminal I'd rather be locked down in a US prison. San Quinton must be a resort getaway compared to prisons in China. At least in the US, prisoners get three square meals, a bunk, exercise, and tv. Not to mention visitation. In the US if you're on death row, then you relax for a few years. In China death row means exactly that.

That was my comment on the other Guangzhou Warning thread.

I wonder if 001 has LA Warning Threads or NY Warning Threads. People do what they do to survive, just like here in the US. Just be aware, and don't get so caught up in the fear. Wasn't it chicken little who said, "The sky is falling." Theft is not a China thing, theft is a social/economic thing. For that matter most crimes are.

Fortunately, it seems most of the posters here haven't had to live on that side of the tracks.

I gotta run. Still have work to do. Just my thoughts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic