we got a blue slip

I agree inconsistency is the main problem. Yes they should ask up front for evidence that there is effective communications in the original application. Electronic translators should be accepted by all VOs equally. This entire process should have clear and concise instructions coupled with honest informed help from our government and especially the consulates. How can they criticize our ability to communicate when they can not effectively communicate with us or with them selves? 9/11 happened because of a complete lack of communication and nothing has changed since then except we are being used as examples to prove that our government is on top of everything. If they can make the mistakes to my case by losing my original application then over looking that my SO’s daughter was on the original application then how can they say I have a problem communicating. Seems to me they have a complete lack of understanding and compassion as well which leads to their failure to communicate. :blink:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I visited with Meixiang from September 10 2003 until October 10 2003. I live with her in her apartment and we traveled to several different places during that time. I have not been able to return to China because of the type of work that I do. Up until recently I am the only one who is qualified to do my job so it has been impossible to return. Meixiang and I have discussed this many times and feel it is more important to save all my vacatin time to be with her when see gets to Denver.

I call her two times every day and she learns English and I learn Chinese. Her English has improved a great deal but I am sure she could not understand the vo if he was speaking to her very quickly which is what Meixiang's daughter told me.

My understanding is several sos have gotten visas without speaking fluent English. My understanding is that they only have to prove we have a relationship. For some reason my case has been different from most.

:blink:

Just one of the truly maddening things about this process is the unpredictablity of the interview. My SO has limited English skills and that was not a problem at her interview. She told me she knows others with very little or no English who got visas. I realize they need to mix it up a little to catch cases of fraud but there seem to be no real standards at all. It just depends on the luck of the draw for your VO... :blink: My best wishes that you can overcome this painlessly and enjoy your family which is all any of us wants... :wub: :wub:

I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visas soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon....................... anybody seen the wizard today I could use a magic trick right about now.

:lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear and I fully understand your frustration. but look at it another way, VO has at least shown you reason for the blue slip. I have heard that sometime VO just give the blue slip without any reasons. you can supply the required VHS video, and i am sure you will get your visa after that. don't worry, You will be fine.

quick question, anyidea if Video CD would be acceptable at the interview?

also is there a format that one should follow for the personal letter to the VO at the interview?

thanks and Good luck

Felix

I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visas soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon I will have the visa soon.......................

I think there are places in GZ that can put together a vhs tape for you (for a fee of course). I hope they do not pull that one w/me since I can not speak Mandarine (but my wife speaks English real well).

Boba,

Really sorry to hear about the blue slip --- particularly with all you have been through! I was in China the same time you were for my first meeting with Fei, and that seems like a life time ago (well, actually, more like our teen years..)

I am confident as the others are, that this is probably your last major hurdle for the visa.. And for the benefit of others, (Carl will know more, and hopefully will post) but I don't recall any situation where a mechanical translator was ever acceptable as a means of communication ----

And I would also add that it certainly is the luck of the draw as far as VOs go --- Fei wasn't even offered the opportunity to speak in Mandarin (or Cantonese) ---- the VO simply launched in on her in English asking questions quickly and pointedly, obviously trying to shake her...

I expect good luck for you both!

eeyore,

You have no problem because she will be able to speak English during the interview.

I have been working on a video tape already in antisapation of something like this. It is already on the way. I wish I had started a little sooner then it would have been there for the interview.

Boba:

I'm in the same boat...little english on my SO's side and little mandarin on my side. My SO is taking english lessons, however, I'm sure that a tough VO would shake her in a hurry. I have purchased a computer for my SO that translates back and forth...still electronic.

How much mandarin do you speak and how did you pick it up? How long was the VHS tape? What did you talk about?

Phil & Yun

Boba,

Really sorry to hear about the blue slip  --- particularly with all you have been through! I was in China the same time you were for my first meeting with Fei,  and that seems like a life time ago (well, actually, more like our teen years..) 

I am confident as the others are, that this is probably your last major hurdle for the visa..  And for the benefit of others, (Carl will know more, and hopefully will post)  but I don't recall any situation where a mechanical translator was ever acceptable as a means of communication ----

And I would also add that it certainly is the luck of the draw as far as VOs go --- Fei wasn't even offered the opportunity to speak in Mandarin (or Cantonese) ---- the VO simply launched in on her in English asking questions quickly and pointedly, obviously trying to shake her... 

I expect good luck for you both!

When I flew to China to make the infamous video I went to the information session. The visa officer talked about overcoming blue slips based on the VO questioning communication. He said that there is no requirement that you speak each others language. If you are denied because the VO questions your abilty to communicate you need only prove that you can and do communicate. This can be with electronic translator, pen an paper or anything that proves the relationship works. Same as you the VO wanted me to make a 5 minute video speaking and writing Chinese. Bing and I made a 15 minute video speaking english and the blue slip was overcome. I believe today as much as I did a year ago that it was the fact that I dropped everything and went over there to fight them that made the difference. The video was the token gift to the great god of GZ.