lunar vs. rational calendar

It's is certainly causing us some problems. Her passport has her lunar birthday, but the birth certificate they finally issued to her had lunar and gregorian (is that the still the correct term?). The notary won't translate anything for her till the discrepancy is cleared up, but nobody will help her. she's been offices in the town and county and nobody will help. She's setting out again Monday with red envelopes. hopefully that will help.

Anybody else have calendar related problems?

Yeah the whole lunar calendar vs. solar calender thing has caused some trouble and confusion for us too - especially for birthdays.

Yes indeed you are in a pickle if her birth certificate has her lunar birthday, and her passport has her solar birthday.

Not too sure what to tell ya. For whatever it's worth ... I'm sure the folks at GZ have encountered this problem before.

If the Gregorian date is given on the birth certificate it should be translated that way and the relationship of the dates to her passport is clearly established. There are many countries using other calendars such as Japan, China and Israel. This is well known by the American government and documents are expected to reflect it. There should be no problem. Just have directly translated what you have.

Be glad it isn't the Japanese calendar which uses the name of the emperor and year from his accession on birth certificates.

The other choice is to forget the birth certificate and get one of the alternative documents issued matching the passport.

I do not think it necessary to refer to the Gregorian Calendar which labels October, November and December as the 8th, 9th and 10th months rather than 10, 11, 12 as rational. Are you implying that all other systems are irrational? The Julian date used with the same January 1st start progress by day of the year i.e. 1,2,3,4,5.......365, 366. It is used by most companies in pack date codes. July & August were added to correct a mistake and pushed the 8, 9, 10 months off by 2.

Sorry for the unasked for information but I get upset at my calendar being referred to as archaic or irrational when it has worked accurately for nearly eight times as long as the Gregorian and is currently used by millions of people.

The Gregorian calendar was initiated by Pope Gregory XIII born at Bologna, 7 Jan., 1502; died at Rome, 10 April, 1585

Something a little intersting about lunar and standard calanders.

This year my lao po will have her standard calender birthday on the lunar calender holiday, in the different month.

Sounds a little like the timezone thing. 'I call you in the morning before I go to bed tonight'.

There are many countries using other calendars such as Japan, China and Israel.

Be glad it isn't the Japanese calendar which uses the name of the emperor and year from his accession on birth certificates.

I'll second the problems that someone from Israel might have. Their lunar calender months start in the middle of our months, the length of the months change from year to year and every 7 years one month is repeated, Adar 1 and Adar 2. :o

Plus, their "day" goes from sunset to sunset so if you were born after sunset, you were really born the next day. :lol: :o

Fun Fun Fun !!! :lol:

There are many countries using other calendars such as Japan, China and Israel.

I'll second the problems that someone from Israel might have. Their lunar calender months start in the middle of our months, the length of the months change from year to year and every 7 years one month is repeated, Adar 1 and Adar 2. :greenblob:

Plus, their "day" goes from sunset to sunset so if you were born after sunset, you were really born the next day. :greenblob: :greenblob:

Fun Fun Fun !!! :greenblob:

Personally having grown up with the day starting at sunset and the year at end of summer I like the system and don't see a reason for changing. It is a matter of philosophy since there is no begining end to a circle. I like the Jewish philosophy that from darkness comes light = darkness starts the day.