Hawaii Marriages

Just some information to pass on, in case anyone plans to get married in Hawaii. My family is originally from Kauai, so we got married there.

You can legally change your middle and last names when you get married in Hawaii. The lady that interviewed us for the marriage license pointed it out to us several times. She said we could hyphenate Helen's last name, use Helen's maiden name as the middle name, make up any middle name we wanted to use from then on, etc. On the Marriage Certificate its written as "Declared Middle Name" and "Declared Last Name" for each person. Your names prior to the ceremony are also on the Marriage Certificate, along with parents. The person who performed the ceremony also pointed it out to us.

The only set back to getting married in Hawaii, is that you don't get an official Marriage Certificate for three to four months after the document is submitted to Hawaii Vital Records. If you need an emergency copy, then you have to request one. The emergency copy takes four weeks after the document is submitted. So make sure the person performing the ceremony submits the document immediately. Also when you apply for the license fill out the emergency copy request the same day, it only takes two minutes.

It was good to be home, and even better to see the family. On such short notice, the turn out was great. Just like a family reunion, Hawaiian style.

Congradulations cqhk ~!

Nice to hear you and Helen are doing most excellent! Sounds like a very good time was had by all ~!

And great advice for those marrying in Hawaii ~ in the near future that will include John and Hai Yan, I think, also Portland Jim and Juxin will be visiting soon, too!

Finger out some fresh poi for me! Hope to get back with Fei and try that together sometime soon ... got me thinking about it...

--- Kim