I LOVE HER COOKING

I wonder if anyone has considered this. My stove is electric and there is no way that it will cook like the propane burners that they use here in china. I am in china at this moment.. I have looked for the burners in the U.S. and I have not found any. Has anyone crossed this bridge???

I love the way she cooks and do not want to change it anymore than is absolutely necessary. I still have six months to get it set up thanks to Guz.

Maybe there is a way to buy those burners on the net???

Don't you have a gas line in the kitchen to change your stove to a gas one? Most kitchens have a line. When I moved to this apartment I was glad they have a gas stove. A gas stove gives much more control and gets higher heat for stir fry. I don't like cooking on electric and the ovens are terrrible. If there is no gas line, there are beautiful outdoor propane/natural gas grills today that are as fancy as any stove.

If you just want something simple on the counter (have a good exhaust fan) Coleman is the way to go http://www.centurycamping.com/stoves/camping/

Jingwen went from gas to electric when she came to the States.  It took a little practice (no instant on/off) but she's adapted well...and her cooking is still delicious.

Yea, waht Frank said. I have eaten a meal that was put together by Jingwen and her assistant Fang Ling-I think they could cook using a bic lighter and it would be Mmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmm good!!!!!

While cooking quality is certainly a qualitative issue all I can say is that my first trip back to the U.S. after more than a year in China left me really disappointed. I remembered all the foods, and was dreaming of them (having pictures of pancakes dripping with syrup on my kitchen table didn't help much!) but it really can't measure up to some of the food here in China.

As for getting a gas cooker, have you checked camping good stores, or sites related to r.v.ing? I'm sure that these kinds of places would have something along these lines. I'm not sure if these kinds of things will do, but we used to have something like these when I was a kid and we'd go camping:

http://www.bossoms.com/html/cooker.php

Here are a few more products that might be a good place to start (I went to www.google.com and typed in portable gas cooker and then let it rip to get all these and the above link):

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/ic...Stand&ovtac=CMP

http://shopping.lycos.co.uk/search/portabl..._gas_stove.html

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/general/ministov.htm

Anyhow, I hope these things help, or at least get you on the right track! Now as for the price of my free help, I'd gladly accept in return for free help a free bowl of spicey Sichuan style chicken fried rice next time we cross paths ;-)

Seriously though, if that isn't what you want, use google - that's a great way to find stuff on the 'net.

Jingwen went from gas to electric when she came to the States.  It took a little practice (no instant on/off) but she's adapted well...and her cooking is still delicious.

Same for me. She has adapted extremely well. Despite my efforts, she has no interest in replacing the electric with a gas stove w/ hi-output burner.

Guest blsqueaky
Jingwen went from gas to electric when she came to the States.  It took a little practice (no instant on/off) but she's adapted well...and her cooking is still delicious.

Same for me. She has adapted extremely well. Despite my efforts, she has no interest in replacing the electric with a gas stove w/ hi-output burner.

Also the same here. We really do not even have a kitchen in my apartment. All that I had before she arrived, my slow cooker, micro, and of course every bachelors friend, the George Foreman Grill. Since she has arrived, now 2 rice steamers, an electric hotplate(which quit the other day, what do you expect for $6), she already bought another one, a counter top oven, big thing, xmas gift from landlord, and of course the hot pot, so I guess, she has adapted well to cooking with electric.

BTW, the foreman grill is now semi-retired, untill I get a bug up my butt, want to cook something special, which is going to be this weekend, and if my housecleaner gets her way, it will become fully retired

... and of course every bachelors friend, the George Foreman Grill. ...

BTW, the foreman grill is now semi-retired, untill I get a bug up my butt, want to cook something special, which is going to be this weekend, and if my housecleaner gets her way, it will become fully retired

Oh squeaky ... you gotta get the George Foreman Grill back out in action! I just got one a couple of months ago and simply love it - easy and good cooking, and easy cleaning.

This is something I've been thinking about too. My apartment now has only electric, but I think it will be ok after some adjustment. After I graduate, however, I'll be looking for a house to make sure I can have a gas stove. It's just better.

Somewhat off topic, but I notice that here on this thread and a lot of other threads a lot of guys saying how great cooks their wives are. I want to go ahead and burst the bubble of a lot of guys who are still waiting on their SO to make it over and say - don't count on this always being true.

If your SO is a little bit older (and especially if she has kids already) there is a pretty good chance you have some good eats to look forward to. On the other hand, my time in Shanghai taught me that in an effort to get more young women in the work force, the art of cooking is being lost by many Chinese women. In the office I worked in the vast majority of the secretaries had no idea how to cook anything. They brought in home cooked food everyday for lunch, but it was always cooked by their mothers. They told me that they were hoping their husbands could be good cooks, but it seemed to me that guys spent even less time learning the kitchen fundamentals. So, while I'm sure many Chinese women (and men) will continue to learn at home how to whip up some delicious dishes, it is far from being a given.

...the art of cooking is being lost by many Chinese women.  In the office I worked in the vast majority of the secretaries had no idea how to cook anything.  They brought in home cooked food everyday for lunch, but it was always cooked by their mothers.

So true, so true. Jingwen's daughter, age 21, can boil noodles..... well that's about it. :blink: Mama did all the cooking in China.

I am not expecting her to be a great cook. She keeps saying we wont go out for Chinese food when she comes. I am skeptical because I know she doesn't like to cook. However, I am a very good cook but hate to clean up. No listen and weep guys. She unwinds by cleaning and enjoys it. So once she is here no more cleaning up after myself! :P :blink:

Somewhat off topic, but I notice that here on this thread and a lot of other threads a lot of guys saying how great cooks their wives are.  I want to go ahead and burst the bubble of a lot of guys who are still waiting on their SO to make it over and say - don't count on this always being true. 

If your SO is a little bit older (and especially if she has kids already) there is a pretty good chance you have some good eats to look forward to.  On the other hand, my time in Shanghai taught me that in an effort to get more young women in the work force, the art of cooking is being lost by many Chinese women.  In the office I worked in the vast majority of the secretaries had no idea how to cook anything.  They brought in home cooked food everyday for lunch, but it was always cooked by their mothers.  They told me that they were hoping their husbands could be good cooks, but it seemed to me that guys spent even less time learning the kitchen fundamentals.  So, while I'm sure many Chinese women (and men) will continue to learn at home how to whip up some delicious dishes, it is far from being a given.

My fiancee was a career women and one of her ex's complaints was that she was not a good cook. She doesn't have much confidence in her ability to cook but everything she's cooked for me has been good. Of course, most young American women can't cook either. I learnt to cook myself to overcome that deficiency. So we plan to do some team cooking in the kitchen (and later in the bedroom :blink: )

I am not expecting her to be a great cook.

Thank God mine is a great cook. She grew up in Guizhou and is an expert in Guizhou/Sichuan cooking.

If you like it hot, stop by anytime. Actually, anything she does is outstanding. My co-workers love an invitation to stop in for lunch. :greenblob:

I am very lucky, She says many of her friends cannot cook well.