A comprehensive list of common documents needed

After reading through some of the visa FAQ's, i seem to have a pretty good idea of all of the documents and material that will be needed for this intense visa petition and application process.

There are some things i keep hearing about (like the police record) that i haven't really seen mentioned much in the FAQ's and guides, so i assume that stuff is mentioned in the application package later on in the process.

I was hoping to compile a list of common documents that need to be gathered. I feel really overwhelmed with the whole process, being unsure whether to go K1, K3, or DCF, etc... At this point, i think i'll feel a little better if i just spend a couple of days gathering and acquiring all of the supporting documents that i might need for whatever visa route i end up going with (much of which i probably won't need, but the more i have gathered, the more i'll feel at ease).

Here's a list of stuff i read from the guides:

Birth Certificates (both)

Divorce documents (if divorced)

Death certificates (if widowed)

Passports (both)

Make copies of all pages of Passport (both)

Certificate of Name Change (if applicable)

Marriage certificate (if applicable)

Passport photo (both)

3 Years of US Federal Tax Returns

3 Years of 1099 and W2 if joint returns

Recent Pay Statements from current employment

Statement from Employer

12 months of bank statements (if assets are to be considered)

- or Statement from Bank Officer

Proof of having met in past 2 years

- photos of both together

- boarding passes when visiting

- photocopies of passport stamps

- email correspondances

- letters and phone bills

There are a few things that I don't know much about:

- Police Records (what exactly is this? what is the official name/document that I should ask my fiancee to acquire?)

- Are there any medical records needed? I know a medical exam needs to be performed, but is there anything she should start gathering?

- I remember someone mentioning providing documents of to prove you are single. Is that necessary and how do we acquire this?

Anything else I am missing? Any other document no matter how unlikely will be needed, or how little it might help would be worth noting, since I want to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks very much, and i hope this thread will be helpful for others :lol:

I will try and add my 2 yuan worth.

The list of documents looks good. If she has a child you willneed their birth records and court documents supporting of her custody. You may also need a letter from her ex, allowing you to let the child emigrate to the US. This will probably be needed at the interview, not at the start of the process.

The police certificate is something she can get from her city of residence(hokou). It may not necessarily be the city she is living in. It is usually good for 6 months or 1 year, but it is better to get it when you are close to getting the p-4 or interview.

I do not know if she has to do anything for the medical exam. My fiancee just called one of the hospitals in GZ that were on the list and checked on the times for the exam. She then showed up and a few days later she had the results back. I know you can pay extra and have the results back the same day, but you must arrive at the hospital when they first open.

I am not sure about the single certificate for her. I know she got one, but I do not know where. I did a letter stating I was single and wished to marry her when I send my 129F. I did another letter after the p-4 as an update, stating I still wanted to marry her.

I am sure others can give you a little more info.

Dave

audelair, first welcome to CFL. The visa process isn't as straight forward as it could be, and there are plenty of people who can share there experiences with you.

As for a comprehensive list of documents, the application forms themselves are pretty good at listing specific documents you'll need. For example, the I-129F form for the K1 application is pretty elaborate in stating what documents you need to show (1) you are a U.S. citizen; (2) you are both able to legally marry; (3) what additional documents are needed; (4) picture requirements; (5) fees; etc.

Generally check http://uscis.gov and http://travel.state.gov for documents and requirements before making a list of what you "need" from sites like this one. What someone may have needed before may not be relevant in your case, or may have been required previously and no longer so. Fees also change.

What is VERY helpful from sites like CFL is the documents needed for things like demonstrating your "proof of relationship" (which you need to show that you are able to marry). These are a bit more ambiguous as they are somewhat particular to each person's individual situation, so a definite list can't be generated.

For example, MOST people find it helpful to provide copies of boarding passes and airline tickets because it will show the American fiance(e) visited China. Pictures are also generally good. And copies of phone logs and e-mails. Basically you need to show that you have met in person and have an ongoing relationship.

Things like the police record and medical check are only necessary at the final interview and are explained when the foreign fiance(e) receives the P3. So, you may want to start checking out where you need to get those things done, but there's plenty of time later.

Good luck!

Hi there,

No expert here by any means, but here's what we filed with the 129 for k1 and got no RFI's so far. Our 129 is in customs delay in china, waiting to go to guangzhou consulate to issue p3. Im sure others will chime in with more suggestions.

#1 on the list

Membership to CFL

Paper and lots of ink for your printer.

I129f :

Birth Certificates (both with translations into english)

Divorce decree's (both with translations and certified)

Death certificates if applicible (both with translations)

Good color copies of Passports all pages (both, and showing dates of visa stamps clearly)

Passport style photo's (both 2 each) frontal

Letter of intent to marry within 90 days of arrival into usa, 1 page discription of how you met, (online etc) when and how you met in person and your intent to marry. (both with translations and notorized signatures of you, your fiancee and whoever translated the docs for you)

Proof of relationship for 129f,

Every scrap of paper trail you can come up with.

Rental reciept for hotel in china.

Itinerary for trip.

ticket stubs for trip from travel agent.

I even copied the tags from my luggage (overkill? Maybe

:lol:

Reciepts from china (grocery store, resturant, gift shops, taxi, train, etc.).

Photos of the two of you together 3 - 5 (with place and date the photo's were taken and with your names written on the back of the photo's)

Letter from your employer, telling of your length of employment, salary (or yearly income) position, and whether your a permanent employee in good standing with your employer. Employers signature notorized.

2 emails from you to her, and from her to you, for each month you have known eachother, copies of any and all letters or cards sent with postmarks to show dates. We threw in some chat text for added measure.

Phone records (if you have them) and copies of used up calling cards.

Reciept for engagement ring (with translation if you bought it in china).

Reciepts for any monies sent to your fiancee (western union etc. ) subject of conjecture here. (red flag for immigration?)

Completed I-129f, Completed G325A for both (with translations and original signatures, notorized).

Completed G28 if using a lawer.

Single paper (as my SO calls it) notarized. Proves she is not currently married, shelf life of 1 year I believe? I can ask her where your fiancee can get one, if no-one else chime's in.

Check for 165.00 usd made out to INS\CIS (fee changes so check first).

Your NOA1 number will be stamped on the back of the returned check after they cash it. (likely to get the check back before you get NOA1 postal mail confirmation of reciept).

Form ??? stating all the information within the packet is true and accurate, signed by you and notorized.

Cover letter (description of contents of 129f packet).

Im I forgetting anything? Ohhh yeah Patience and endurance. ;)

K1 for interview, as I understand it:

Affidavit of support completed I-134 Your notorized signature (guangzhou says not always needed, but provide it anyway).

One year (most recent tax return showing 125% of federal poverty guideline for family size, applicable to your situation.) 3 years tax returns, is for AOS after she is in the usa and married to you.

Another Employment letter. Notorized.

Another set of letters of intent, dated closer to the interview date (both, original signatures, translated and notorized)

Letter from bank officer stating, when account was opened, list of all deposits and withdrawls, and current balance (shelf life 6 months ? I believe) (the newer the better I think?) Notorized.

Lawyer says no need for check stubs, but , what the heck!!!!

:lol: it can't hurt.

Documentation showing property (land house etc, ownership and market value if your income is below 125%).

Any and ALL addition papertrail you have accumulated since you sent in the 129f. Including your NOA1 & NOA2

Send originals of everything you sent in with the 129f, to your fiancee, or better yet, take them to her and be with her at her interview (even though you cannot go in with her

:lol: . Good time to create more proof of relationship.

I believe your fiancee will recieve instructions about getting a medical exam and police certificate with the p4 invitation for interview letter from guangzhou.

Make duplicate or triplicate copy of EVERYTHING!!!! CYA!

Im sure I have forgotten a hundred things but Im sure someone will add to or take away from my list :lol:

Good luck, buckle up, its a long bumpy, sometimes lonely ride.

I prefer Crackin's over cheeto's :lol:

Mark

OH! and more patience.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It's great to see so many people that have stuck around to help others. I hope someday soon, i will have my stuff taken care of and i can also be of help and service to those that need it. :ph34r: The bureacratic process is all the more painful because it is 2 people in love that just want to be together.

At the moment, I have no idea whether i can pursue the DCF process in Australia (her being a Chinese citizen going to school there, and me being a US citizen NOT residing in Australia). So i am trying to gather all documents i might need for either the K1 or DCF process. I sent in an email to the consulate in Australia and if i don't hear back soon, i will give them a phonecall.

Thanks again for all of the advice. The lists have been really useful. I think i might go to the office store and pick up some folders or binders or something, because it looks like this is going to be a huge project!! :blink:

I saw your post on BE about not being able to go to OZ until late summer. That puts a little different spin on things. If you two have met in person in the last two years and can document that, I'd suggest filing a K-1 now.

1) The time saved by doing DCF would be offset by getting the K-1 petition approved (and possibly) through NVC.

2) If she is still residing in OZ, she would still be interviewed at the US consulate there rather than GZ.

3) Doing so would eliminate most of the uncertanty in the process.

4) Additional travel would not be required on your part.

Thanks for the advice!

Your take on it is similar to how I was feeling, since I wouldn't be able to start the process right away.

However, they did mention the difference in terms of the DCF process being able to allow her to get an immediate green card / permanent residence upon arrival into the US. the K1 process would be a much more tedious process after arrival, is that correct?

That was the main issue that was brought up in recommending the DCF process over the K1, despite the advantages that you mention in support of the K1.

Any thoughts? Thanks again for your feedback!

Need to determine priorities and then decide which process best meets those. I'll toss out a couple for starters.

1) How long to get a visa. Is it most important to get a visa so she can be here in the US?

2) Authorization and ability to work.

3) Green card status. Green card allows work and travel without additional paperwork. Also starts the clock ticking on the 3-year residency requirement to apply for citizenship.

4) Additional paperwork and processing. K-1 must file for Adjustment of Status after getting married in the US and requires an interview where you both attend. Time from application to green card varies from a few months to a few years - depending on your regional office. Work and travel while the AOS is pending requires additional paperwork and fees.

Ah this is a good method. let's see...

1) Being here in the US not much later in December is very important to us, for emotional reasons, but no other practical reason (waiting a little longer is ok)

2) Authorization and ability to work is not important for the first half year (up to a year if necessary) or so after she arrives in the US.

3) Green card status would be important, since we plan on traveling overseas (she needs to finish her thesis and do her defense in Europe in summer 2006, and we have family reasons for returning to China once a year).

4) If the fees and paperwork for work and travel is straightforward and not too expensive (what are we looking at?), it is something we can handle. I'd be looking at the need to work within a year, and a need to travel out of the country about once every 6 months.

Additionally:

Will her status here have any effect on whether she can get health insurance either separately or through my employer?

Thanks very much. I appreciate the time you are taking helping me decide. This is exactly what I need right now :ph34r:

thanks again for the detailed response. yikes, one year for a K1? for some reason, i thought 6 months was pretty do-able! I don't think my fiancee can stay in Australia for that long without extending her visa there, nor would she want to.

Hmmm....

Another option.. Do you or anyone else know how easy it'd be for me to gain residence in China if i marry her there? And just live there for a year or two, while we wait for a K3 visa to get her into the US? Or is that even do-able?

At this point, i'm pretty much throwing everything in the air, and seeing every option I can think of!

actually i have taught English in China for a year... that's how i met my fiancee :greenblob: (she wasn't my student but a master's student in the English department). I actually really enjoyed it and would look forward to pursuing another contract at a different University (or even the same one).

Thanks for the warning against the K3's... hmm, DCF within China would be through GZ, right? I hope to hear from some people who have tried it.

Thanks again, you've been a big help in helping me sort through this :greenblob: