Some Do's and Some Don't's

Glad to have you back, RMark... 

And thanks for the interesting post! 

King .. about the dog ... 

.... during my first visit to GZ in 1997, there was a huge open-air  public market just off the island... (gone now)  maybe you know of it? 

Have a great photo of a lean, skinned dog hanging from a meat hook......

---- Kim

I think it is called the Qing Pin market.

I remember seeing a skinned cat on a meat hook and donkey hind quarters.

That was on my first visit in 98.

Cool..................................

I was kinda brought back to reality last night. I told my donkey guts story to my ex- inlaws (they are Mexican) and they just looked at me like, "So?"

They started talking about "tripas" and how good they are - goat guts.

Not everyone in the world eats like Americans do. We are a pretty self-centered lot, aren't we?

Just to bring this back to a more visa oriented topic, I got my I-134 notorized for free at the consulate. While I was in the waiting room there, the elevator stopped and a tall, black woman inside quickly pushed the button to close the doors as soon as she realized no one was getting on. I wondered if it was the infamous "Black Pearl".

As far as a Chevy Chase movie, it might be perfect. I haven't gone into enough detail here to do it justice, but maybe I'll continue the story in the "Our Stories" section.

Glad to have you back, RMark...  

And thanks for the interesting post!  

King .. about the dog ...  

....   during my first visit to GZ in 1997, there was a huge open-air  public market just off the island... (gone now)  maybe you know of it?  

Have a great photo of a lean, skinned dog hanging from a meat hook......

---- Kim

There was a market about 3 blocks away that fits the description. At least as far as the dogs go. There were carts piled high with goats and dogs.

We were there in January and the wife took me there twice to buy fruit.

Not far from there is a KFC and on the third floor next door is a 24 hour cyber cafe. Very cheap. The only down side is the keyboards are missing the letters on the heavily used keys. Makes it tough for us hunt and peckers :D

One of our farewell dinners in GZ was at a "locals" hot pot restaurant. Apparently, someone had ordered chicken. A man walked by with a live chicken being carried by it's feet. The chicken made this really eerie moan. I never heard anything like it. Maybe the chicken knew it's time was up or maybe it was just the rush of blood to it's head. After a few seconds of this chicken's last testament, it was back to dinner as usual.

I pulled a nice piece of mutton out of the pot and seperated the skin from it. I put the skin on the plate and ate the meat. Everyone laughed at me as if to say, silly American, you throw out best part!!! :D :lol: :lol:

Just for the record...

"Do not, I repeat, do not buy your honey a round-trip ticket..." ORIGINATING from the USA!

I purchased (and used 1/2 of) a Round-trip ticket ORIGINATING from HONG KONG for my fiancee without a problem. :lol:

And after we arrived in USA, I sent in the unused return half of her ticket and was given a milage credit for future use. (don't know if United will do this now. BUT the RT ticket FROM HongKong to USA works just fine).

Welcome back... Best Wishes for a GREAT Life!!

P.S. Someone had posted that you can have papers notarized at the American Services section of the consulate. Yes, you can! For $30 a signature!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :o

I've posted that you can BUT normally state THEIR FEES- it is $30.00 for the first signature and 20.00 for each additional page. Shanghai Consulate has $100 of "notary" fees from me. I think NV. notaries are limited to $5/3.

CW....Howdy!!

Since Cosmiclobster was at my boat last Saturday, I already said hello to him and Amy a couple of times. Amy has been taking a lot of photos of my boat, etc., I think to send to my wife (they're good friends). Both Steve and Amy seem to be in a constant "super happy" state. Oh hum...must be nice.

Oh, sorry, got side-tracked....notaries on base here in Port Hueneme are free....so beat that!!

Dave B)