Nothing much to be aware of. Just get in line. After immigration push through those waiting at the luggage carrousel and grab any bag that looks like yours. Proceed to the next line. Show bags if you are singled out otherwise go up exit ramp. Pretty much your typical airport.

Are you meeting at the exit from customs or is she waiting for transfer? What is she doing once she is free on her own?

The longest part and most difficult is getting through the crowd to pull your bags off the carrousel. Usually the whole thing takes 25 to 30 minutes even if it seems longer.

If the flights are on schedule 3 hours should be about right. That gives her 1.5 to clear customs and go to the other terminal and 1.5 to clear the next security and board. If you can handle that in China you can probably do it anywhere else in a breeze. Have you ever tried navigating the Chinese train stations?

I think there are free courtesy buses between terminals. You can find a website for LAX and show her the terminal maps which should help a lot. It's a pretty big place, but if she confirms with the driver when she gets on the bus she should be ok.

Three hours is a good layover time. If her plane is late and customs is jammed there's still plenty of time to get to the next flight.

Good luck.

I think there are free courtesy buses between terminals.  You can find a website for LAX and show her the terminal maps which should help a lot.  It's a pretty big place, but if she confirms with the driver when she gets on the bus she should be ok.

Three hours is a good layover time.  If her plane is late and customs is jammed there's still plenty of time to get to the next flight.

Good luck.

Thanks, I have sent her copies of the LAX map and explained the terminals to her. She also knows about the free "shuttle bus" and to ask to be told when they arrive at terminal 7. United Express has many commuter flights to San Diego each day so if she misses her schedulled flight I think they will put her on the next available flight within an hour. Lack of communications will be the main concern. Hopefully the 3 hours will be enough. If she arrives LAX ahead of schedule that's even better.

Check the LAX website to confirm what terminal she will use. Not all international  flights go to Bradley.

Thanks, the web site indicates Bradley for Air China. I came into terminal 5 using China Southern.

Now for the confusion factor. I think I have confused Air China with China airlines. China Airlines uses Bradley, Air China uses Terminal 2? She will arrive on Air China. Thanks for the wake up call.

I guess another question will be what/where does the SO/ wife go as far as counter wise with all the paperwork, and what happens there? We'll be arriving LAX also. Can I go through that line also or do I have to go throught the citizen's line?

Once the Immigration parts done, I've been through there many times so know the drill. Get the luggage, let 3 people look at the paper I filled out and give the paper to the 4th (is this a unioin shop or what), then exit to the lobby, take a leak, go outside and get a deep breath of the jet exhaust, find a shuttle to car rental, get the car, stop at the Shell Station on Century BLVD for Cheeto's to tide us over for the long drive to the hotel.

Bob

I guess another question will be what/where does the SO/ wife go as far as counter wise with all the paperwork, and what happens there?  We'll be arriving LAX also.  Can I go through that line also or do I have to go throught the citizen's line?  

When we came through Bradley last month I just went through the visitor's line with her and even right up to the desk. No problem at all. The officer looked at our passports together and processed me through first, then told me to wait on the other side. If that happens to you, Don't leave sight of her. There's plenty of time to get the bags. She may need you. The officer asked me to come back to the desk, then changed his mind and told me to keep waiting.