How do i get the case number?

My Receipt date is FEB 8 2005, my NOA2 was Feb 28th 2005, according to the website of the USCIS when i log in, last update was March 1 2005, i got approved, so when do i get my case number? how do you know the progress of your case? do you get emails from USCIS throughout the whole process or do i need to register at the NVC website?

i am confused on how to check for updated information, is USCIS the same as NVC?

Mike and Xiaodan

Mike:

To see if you have a case number, call the NVC at 603-334-0700 then do either of the following:

1. Through the IVR (automated system): press 1 - 1 - 1. then you will be prompted to enter your CIS receipt number. If the NVC has assigned a case number to you the automated message will tell you. If not, try each day until you finally have one. Once you have a case number then dial 603-334-0700 then press 1 - 1 - 2 and enter your case number. This is where the automated message will keep you updated on the status of your case through the NVC.

2. To speak to a live NVC agent: press 1 - 5, and hope to reach a live person. If the phone lines are all in use, call back until you get through.

In my opinion use option 1 (automated message) unless you have an important question to ask.

Mark

If you filed a 129, you will NOT be entered into the automated system. Use the option to talk to a live person when calling NVC. They will tell you the date that your case has (hopefully) been approved and your papers sent to GZ. Use that date to contact DHL to track your petition (and corresponding clearance delay - about 3 or 5 weeks) until it actually arrives at the consulate. Then you can e mail GZ to get some further status on your case.

Good luck

GOOD NEWS!! my package was sent from the NVC to GZ on march 11th and i have the case number.

but i they didnt give me thr DHL tracking number for me to track the delivery, anyone know how to get this info from DHL? also what is the timeline from NVC sending the package to GZ and then getting the P3?

also what is this 2nd background check?? i thought the background check was completed by the NVC...... i filed a 129F.