Travel Guangzhou-Hong Kong, Exchange $$ for Yang

Hi All.

I have never seen this info posted in reading here and VJ.

Seems all flights to Hong Kong arrive after last bus has left for Guangzhou city and airport.

First, do buses from Hong Kong airport go into Guangzhou or only to Airport?

What has been experience of you folks with spending the night after arrival in Hong Kong? Hotels are quite pricey I have noticed.

I know I need Yang to pay taxi, bus, etc. Most money changers at airports close in early evening I think. What has been experience of you "world travelers" going over to China.

My trip is planned for late April.

Thanks to anyone who can lend assistance with above questions.

I will start posting time schedules of documents after we marry and file I-130.

richard

There are several YMCA/YWCAs in Hong Kong. A YM is located right next to the Pennisula Hotel on the Kowloon side. Its prices are reasonable for a hotel in a prime location, a block off Nathan Road. There are money changers around there. The best rates for Changers I have found is at the Chungking Mansions, I think it is the third Changer on the right side from the entrance. It is on Nathan Road a block or sofrom the YM I mentioned.

The Chinese money is called Yuan.

I'll second the vote for the YMCA. It's only a five minute walk from the metro which is another big plus. I've never stayed there, but some friends have and they liked it.

The rates are pretty good, and the location is perfect to explore Kowloon a bit before heading up to GZ. One small problem with that though. There are very few stores, if any, open before 10am. I think the only thing you will find open before 10am is McDonalds and 7-11.

If you want to see some of HK it may be best to do it the evening you arrive.

I think you can even make a reservation online at this site:

http://www.asiatravel.com/hongkong/ymcasalisbury/

Singapore and Cathy Pacific can put you in HK at 06:30.

HK to GZ / GZ to HK.

Fly:

There are several connecting flights through out the day.

Train:

There is a bus that goes to the main KCR station to and from the airport.

Have your Lady check the schedules.

Check the HK Airport website for transit info.

I forgot about money exchange.

When going to China only exchange enough to get

you to your destination.

Once in China use the Banks or the Hotels for the better rates.

Don't bother about changing back to US $$$. You will need it for

the next trip.

I've got about $200 of both Yuan & HK$ in my travel wallet right now.

That is more than enough to get me to my Hotel on my next visit.

For pkfops or anyone else with knowledge of money exchange...

Question is getting Yuan on arrival....For first trip does one go to local bank (( live out in rural area of WA state), and ask them to order some yuan for travel?

I am worried about arrival in evening and if I don't carry yuan with me, I have no way to find exchange open to change dollars...

Thanks to all for the input about this $$ thing and also travel to Guangzhou from H.K. airport..I think I will try the bus if flight gets in before last one leaves at night.

Since I usually avoid the flights that get to HK in the eveining I've not had this problem, usually I book flights that leave LAX at midnight or so and arrive HKG or CAN in the morning. Get on the plane, have a couple glasses of wine, dinner, then snooze the night away.

However, there is also the possibility of taking the train from Hung Hom to Guanzhou, or barring that, KCRC to Lo Wu, then taxi or bus to Guangzhou. But that's getting kind of exotic if you don't know the territory. There's also turbo ferries direct from HK airport to Fu Yong/Shenzhen airport and Dongguan Taiping. You don't have to clear HK immigration.

What time does your flight get into HK?

Can your SO meet you at the Ferry/border crossing/train station?

Bob

For pkfops   or anyone else with knowledge of  money exchange...

Question is getting Yuan on arrival....For first trip does one go to local bank (( live out in rural area of WA state), and ask them to order some yuan for travel?

I am worried about arrival in evening and if I don't carry yuan with me, I have no way to find exchange open to change dollars...

Thanks to all for the input about this $$ thing and also travel to Guangzhou from H.K. airport..I think I will try the bus if flight gets in before last one leaves at night.

You can buy yuan at the HK airport.

Check the HK Airport to see how late the

exchange booths are open.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/money.html

If not check with your local airport (SeaTac?)

You can play it safe and only exchange $50.

I found that the local exchange rate for RMB here in Kansas to be terrible. The rate at O'Hare airport wasn't much better, so I only changed about US $50 which was enough to get to the hotel.

If you arrive in HK you should be able to get some HK$ at an ATM in the airport. I'm sure there is also an exchange desk there where you can get RMB. If you buy your ticket to GZ in HK maybe you can pay with HK$. Then you can wait until GZ to get RMB at an ATM.

Spify79,

Everytime I go to HongKong, my plane usually arrives at the airport at 10:50PM !!!!

I have never had a problems getting both HK dollars and RMB (chinese dollars. Also called Yuan) at the Travelex Currancy Exchange booth at the airport.

In fact, I'm looking at an exchange receipt from my last trip there 4/1/2004 at 23:28 (11:28PM!!)

And just for you! I called them just now to verify... They are open til midnight every night.

I take the airport express train into Kowloon and stay at one the following hotels (all within walk dist to each other): Park Hotel, Ramada Inn, YMCA, BP Int'l Hotel(BoyScout Hotel..Cheap).

P.S.: I live in Spokane, WA. You?