Hope some veterans can help me out. I'm planning my trip to see my SO through her interview. I'm not sure how early I should go there.

She lives in Nanning, and I figure I could meet up with her there and head up to GUZ.

The question is, how long does the medical exams take and do we have to go to a medical center in GUZ?

The medical checks need to be done in GZ by a clinic on their approved list. The most economical option would be to meet her in GZ. take care of the visa then go to Nanning together. Here is a good tip. DO NOT RIDE THE BUS TO NANNING. The bus drivers are nuts. It was one of the most harrowing rides of my life. Every year many Chinese die in bus accidents due to careless bus drivers. They pass trucks on blind corners going uphill on two lane roads, take corners so fast the luggage falls out of the racks above. have no respect for other vehicles. and woe be to the farmer on his bicycle who gets in their way. Take the train or fly. Much safer.

The P4 packet has a list of medical facilities to do the exam in various parts of China. Zhi Xian just did hers in Guangzhou at the medical center in Shamain Island by the consulate and the exam itself took a couple of hours depending on the workload and how crowded it is. They suggest allowing 4 hours for the exam. You don't need advance appointment. They do a lot there, I was impressed how friendly and efficent they were, compared to the place I have to go to for my residence visa exam.

But, you don't get the results back for 3 days, which is standard because they do HIV testing and it takes 3 days for the test to do it's thing. We went Tuesday morning, and the test results were ready for pick up on Friday afternoon. I think this would apply no matter where you do the testing, so if you're traviling to a place allow for the time the test results take.

I don't think you have to do it in Guangzhou, that was just the place most convenient for us.

Hope this helps.

Bob

You can go to *any* hospital. I happen to know that the one Rong went to in Beijing returned the results the same day (although it took ALL day to do so). Since you are closest to Guangzhou, I recommend going there. However, be careful! There have been some issues with people getting ripped off by doctors/staff there on the take...

Also, in terms of anywhere in the world you go, China is similar for danger as a function of transportation:

car (most dangerous)

bus (next)

airplane (quite safe)

train (likely the safest of them all)

And, if you want to feel better, the busses in thailand are far worse than in China, since there, most of the time, the condition of the road is terrible, in addition to everything Carl has said! Yikes!!! :D

No you don't have to do it in GZ but it does have to be on the approved list. If you go to the consulates website there is a list of authorized places. None of them are in Nanning. GZ will be the closest place for her.

Here is a link to the GZ website page that tells what to do and where to do it for the medical.

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...edicalexam.html

Thanks for the replies everyone, all good info. I've been to Nanning before, I know what you mean by the local transports...

I didn't know there was an expedite service! That would be great since we have very limited time.

I don't want to stay in GZ too long, much less in China. My hope is to have her get used to her new home when she gets back, I figure it would help if I didn't go right back to work on our return. So shorter I stay in China, the more I could spend time with her when she gets back.

elcajongr, where did you go to get the expedite service?

My fiancee also went to the Hospital near the Consulate. She arrived at 9:00 AM in the morning and received her results by 5:00 PM the same day. She paid 100 RMB for expedited service. The exam was 800 RMB.

She did not get any shots. They told her to get the visa first, then come back for the shots. They told her if she doesn't get the visa she won't need the shots.

The name of the Hospital is:

Health Care Center of Guangdong International Travel, 33 Shamian North Street, on Shamian Island. It is just down the street from the Consulate.

I would advise calling ahead to confirm how fast you can get the expedited service. I'm sure it depends on how busy they are on any given day. It was not busy the day my fiancee went on 2/07/2005.