Seeing the trees from the forest

I need some advice from the pro's.

We were married in China in January '04. Our beautiful son was born in October '04. I received the I-129F approval February '05. NVC sending packet to GUZ, Feb '05.

Good records: Our son has a Chinese birth certificate, American birth certificate, American passport, and soon the B-2 visa.

The problem: Due to her first marriage (no children) my wife became 3 years older than her chronological birth date. Thus she has some mixed records showing her birth date and no actual birth certificate. It seems her family birth records are ambiguous.

The possible: My wife says she can acquire a modern-style birth certificate showing her actual age + 3; therefore collaborating her age with her Chinese ID card. But no collaboration with the family records.

Does anybody have any advice? I am not familiar with the older Chinese family records and what is necessary to provide in the next steps of our K3 process.

Thank you,

GSmith

:blink:

Well I'm no expert (I only play one on the computer), but I would think that if your wife does manage to get an official birth certificate with the 3+ years, that one would take priority over anything else. Family records are one thing, but official records are what count when verification is necessary. Just MHO.

As for your son, if he has an American passport, why bother for a visa for him? He should be able to get in the US, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

In China NO body's actual birth date matches the ID card. On top of that, usually they go by Chinese calender, so unless you figure back you'll never really know what day in western calender she was actually born on. On top of that, half the time no one kept official records like we do in the states.

DHS guy in GZ told me there's 2 ways to go about this birth certificate problem.

1. Get official birth certificate from hospital.

2. Letter from PSB or village government stating an official birth record doesn't exist, but this is the "offical" birth date and place.

We opted for getting number 1, which would be the same as your wife acquiring the modern style birth certificate. Turns out the guy in her home town that would issue #2 would be her father, which we thought would look REAL fishy, so didn't go that route.

As it is, the birth certificate has to be notarized and translated with notarized translation at the government office that does that sort of thing also, so once that's done, you should be ok.

Bob