Chinese New Year

snip...

Many Chinese work seven days a week.  

I never worked 7 days a week, also none people of I have known work 7 days a week, we used to work 5 days a week... sometimes work in holidays too, but the company has to pay 3 times salary for that over work.

and it's not legal if the company force the employees work in the weekend or offical holidays. :lol:

... in Shanghai it's illegal... I don't know the other parts of China well

I have had quite a bit of contact with people outside of the big cities and people who do not work in factories and such, the people that make up the vast majority of China. Think about all the people who own or work in those tiny little shops. Think about the taxi drivers and mini bus drivers and conductors. Think about the farmers. (They work 7/365 even in the US) Hotel workers - restaruant workers and owners. The postal service was mentioned already - There are many others. The conditions are very different in Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc. Even in a major city like Shenyang, the unemployment is so high that people will not argue with an employer or report them for being required to work more than the government stipulated hours. I have been told of factories up here in the north requiring "voluntary" time of workers to work extra shifts.

Not criticizing your answer, you may very well know more than me. It is just that I have seen very many instances of people required or choosing to work 7 days a week.

yes, Owen... you are very right about most of people who are from countryside or small cities have met strict working situation...

that's why most of parents in China concentrate every source of energy, money, time to educate their kids... better education brings better life. :o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I mentioned in a post elsewhere that, now being the oldest male in our family, I inherited the title of Grandfather.  That makes Spring Festival very expensive for me!  Remember that here nieces and nephews call me grandfather.  Besides, I'm American, that means I'm rich!  I have a constant stream of kids coming after me for the red envelopes!  Talk about wanting to hide in the closet!

...hummmmmm

... I think 80% of Chinese would call you 'Grandfather' as you have such a long beard!! :lol:.... so... will you give me a red envelop Grandpapa?! :o

That formula is true anywhere in the world.  Too many Americans are losing sight of the fact that a good education is a necessity to a good life for their children in the future.

Thanks for the agreement Owen!

... so if the one who doesn't do his/her best to get a better life... who else shlould take the responsibility for him/her? :lol:

By the way, I mentioned in a post elsewhere that, now being the oldest male in our family, I inherited the title of Grandfather.  That makes Spring Festival very expensive for me!  Remember that here nieces and nephews call me grandfather.  Besides, I'm American, that means I'm rich!  I have a constant stream of kids coming after me for the red envelopes!  Talk about wanting to hide in the closet!

sometimes that does not go with ages, or how old you are, but rather goes with the generation - so it is highly possible that someone about the same age as yours call you grandfater :P :lol: :o

the "red envelope" is a tradition, I guess in American, a grandfather would give his grandson stock shares or securities, like 2 shares of MOT :D but in China, cash is given out - usually they will say a prayer for you like best wishes for health, etc.

sometimes that does not go with ages, or how old you are, but rather goes with the generation - so it is highly possible that someone about the same age as yours call you grandfater :D  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

the "red envelope" is a tradition, I guess in American, a grandfather would give his grandson stock shares or securities, like 2 shares of MOT  :)  but in China, cash is given out - usually they will say a prayer for you like best wishes for health, etc.

kkimm!

...you know the rules very well! :o I am very impressed! ... are you one of the active players too? running around and chasing for red envelops?? :P kidding kidding... but you really explained it very detailed and clearly. :)

but such a pity, I only got $0.6 in my life! http://digi.pchome.net/icons/5.gif... so I swear none can gets $0.6 from me but $60! lol :P

Enight,

Since my family is big (lots of uncles, aunts, and cousins), I have collected over $2000 (USD) for all the years.  When I get marry, I have to give instead of receiving.  :rolleyes:

wow Tony! 2000 American bucks? :o :) you have been a rich boy! would you lend me one of your relatives? just one is fine! I will be very appreciate your generosity! lol :D

yes, when a person married, it means he/she is an adult, so have to give red envlops instead of receiving :)

... but you still can collect money from your rich relatives in the wedding though!

:rolleyes: grab your chance Tony!!! go for it! :P

Enight,

Wedding is expensive.  Chinese banquet costs about $50 per head. American banquet costs a lot more.  You don't make money in wedding.

Tony,

$50 per head in which resturant? or in what level hotel? mostly $40 per head of banquet is charged in 5 stars hotel in Shanghai.

usualy one table can sit 10 people, so that means they charge one table for $500!!

we would consider $150 to $250 is a OK banquet for wedding, and the hotel would provide a wedding suite for the new couple to stay one day, and a big wedding cake, and Champagne glasses tower (sorry, can not explain it well in English, you just figure it out by guess then :rolleyes:), etc...

Enight,

Wedding is expensive.  Chinese banquet costs about $50 per head.   American banquet costs a lot more.  You don't make money in wedding.

Tony,

$50 per head in which resturant? or in what level hotel? mostly $40 per head of banquet is charged in 5 stars hotel in Shanghai.

usualy one table can sit 10 people, so that means they charge one table for $500!!

we would consider $150 to $250 is a OK banquet for wedding, and the hotel would provide a wedding suite for the new couple to stay one day, and a big wedding cake, and Champagne glasses tower (sorry, can not explain it well in English, you just figure it out by guess then ;)), etc...

Enight,

In Boston, the Chinese restaurants usually charge between $300 to $600 per table for banquets. Then you have to include the 20% tips. Furthermore, if you get a professional photographer, video guy, and a band, then it can add another $3000 to the cost. Unlike China, America is expensive. If you have a American banquet at a nice hotel (3 or 4 stars), then it will cost at least $100 per head. Then you have pay for church too if you have ceremony there.

Enight,

In Boston, the Chinese restaurants usually charge between $300 to $600 per table for banquets.  Then you have to include the 20% tips.  Furthermore, if you get a  professional photographer, video guy, and a band, then it can add another $3000 to the cost. Unlike China, America is expensive.  If you have a American banquet at a nice hotel (3 or 4 stars), then it will cost at least $100 per head. Then you have pay for church too if you have ceremony there.

I see, Tony, thanks for the explanation...

I would rather to save that much money to do something else though... maybe go visit all the Disney Land? :(

I have never been in Disney Land yet :rolleyes:

Enight,

In Boston, the Chinese restaurants usually charge between $300 to $600 per table for banquets.  Then you have to include the 20% tips.  Furthermore, if you get a  professional photographer, video guy, and a band, then it can add another $3000 to the cost.   Unlike China, America is expensive.  If you have a American banquet at a nice hotel (3 or 4 stars), then it will cost at least $100 per head.   Then you have pay for church too if you have ceremony there.

I see, Tony, thanks for the explanation...

I would rather to save that much money to do something else though... maybe go visit all the Disney Land? :(

I have never been in Disney Land yet :rolleyes:

Kate,

Disney world is even better than Disney land.