Teaching English in China

I haven't done that but I've heard people say they had a great time with it. Public or private school? I have also heard some bad stories of teachers who get placed at poor quality schools.

Back in the 70's I taught ESL in Japan to all ages and in different schools. It was a wonderful experience.

I've taught in kindergartens here though it wasn't my main job, just a side thing I did for awhile. I think LouRose also works at a kindergarten in Beijing.

If you want any info about it you can PM me.

It's so incredibly easy but be careful- some of them are the worst managed schools I've ever seen in China.

tonyontherock,

I'm not sure how to respond to your question. Are you planning on teaching EFL, or just want some of the horror and/or good stories of teaching young children in China?

There might be a particular website that answers both of these questions. The site has both subject's realted to students, off-topic, and people who want to teach.

Several people I know are teaching in SEA, and I might be able to point you in the right direction if you need other avenues of investigation. Please excuse my hesistance, in not providing more information. I don't like putting other URL's on PJ's and Donhaso's site.

The site for school related "stuff:"

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=9

This other site is from same URL, and is off-topic with teachers of EFL in China:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewforum.php?f=44

Both sites have search engines, which are fairly efficent.

I taught in Korea and Thailand and knew some guys who taught in China. Overall ESL in Asia is quite often a business first and educational institution second. In China, like the Southeast Asian countries, the money is pretty low. You may get a school which pretty much expects you to give in to whatever they demand, as obedience to your superiors is expected.

Additionally, contracts may not be all that meaningful if you are a foreigner.

But, if you go just to experience the country and are not worried about career advancement, pay, or any sort of real health benefits, then the experience of teaching/living in China or anywhere else in Asia will be an experience you will cherish for a lifetime!

I originally went for one year and stayed over there for three. I lived in two countries, visited two more, and found my future wife in yet another country. If I could work in my career field there, I would most likely still be there.

Research the schools on the sites such as eslcafe.com as someone mentioned, that is the place to find out all you need to know. I hope you have at least a BS/BA and/or some teaching experience. No experience is fine if you have the degree.

Plan on staying at least a year to really learn the culture and the one thing that will make your stay there 100 times better is study the language and use it as much as possible, even if you flub it and people laugh (with you not at you).

Good luck and do it while you can...you will never regret it!

Thanks every one for the help and advice, including the in person advice given. I am actually in China now and will be making some visits to the schools here in different cities to get a first hand feel. I am a native Chinese speaker and most likely will not teach English in China personally. I was looking for information and experience of others for a related business purpose.