It is great that China is peaceful now towards the world. I love the way the government takes good care of the people in so many ways.

From what I have seen and read I am not so sure. When I first went to China ( Nanning) I was very impressed with the public places - airport, boulevards, and modern buildings. I was struck by the health of the people and the their public behavior.

However, there are problems. I have noticed that: (to a greater degree than the West):

1. happiness dwindles as people get older. I think living in China can be a real drag. When older people laugh it is often mirthless and cynical!

2. most people in China are very poor. The country is stunningly beautiful. The poverty is stunning, too. Incomes are very low. The media makes too much of China's wealth. I think, China is like the USA in the 1920's. A thin veneer of wealth enjoyed by comparatively few.

3. Most people seem very worried about money. It leads to real fear over education, jobs, and retirement.

4. family dynamics can be very stressful. Ask yourself why so many 30-45 year old women want to marry a an overseas person.

5. Sucking-up to bosses and police is a way of life. It is not always based on respect but on real fear.

6. the violent (recent) past of China is in the back of everyones mind!!!!! Most of us have no idea how violent China can get when it gets nasty. Interestingly, people seldom talk about the old days. But they remember them, believe me!

Just another point of view,

Rup

It is easy to gloss over anyplace by ignoring what is around one. Happiness is more from the little things. China is in change and it should be interesting to watch. By marrying us our spouses have increased their options and we have too. I know I am anxious to begin exploring the possibilities.

Growing up as a minority in America, I don't see a whole lot of difference between the countries as Rup describes. I'm glad to say things have improved from that stand point but unemployment and low wage jobs are increasing in America while China is showing improvement in that (yes as the economy changes job displacement is a real problem). Perspectives differ but everyone hopes for a better future.