Another question about the Single Certificate

Hi,

To continue an earlier thread about the necessity of the Chinese fiance's Single Certificate, can anybody tell me what it looks like?

My fiance already has one, or something like it. It's a little green booklet with her picture and personal info (name, birthdate, sex, SINGLE, etc). Does that sound right?

While I'm at it, what do the police records look like? Is it a computer printout, or more along the lines of a statement (i.e. "To Whom it May Concern, Ms. XXX has never been arrested...")

Sorry if these questions seem unimportant, but we are both unfamiliar with some of these documents and don't want to show up with the wrong ones.

Thanks a lot,

XL

Guest jeff.and.li

I got a single certificate that I ended up not using! (long story...) It cost me $85 and a trip to several government agencies. In the end I had my notarized original form (which I had to fill out in English and Chinese-- the Chinese part by guessing and assuming they were asking the same questions as the English part), which was stapled to the document I got from the Secretary of State and topped by the China consulate's handiwork (another page, in Chinese) and stamped so that the stamp extended onto the other pages. It sure looked official when it was all done. But it looked more like a few 8-1/2x11 sheets of paper stapled haphazardly together than a book.

Your Chinese consulate office should have given you detailed instructions about how to get your single certificate. My journey to get this certificate began and ended there.

Are you talking about a single certificate from America? I don't think I need one of those. I've never been married and as somebody pointed out, we all sign a statement with our I-129 that should suffice.

I'm talking about the Single Certificate for the Chinese fiance. Like I said, she has one, but it is not what I expected (a small booklet rather than a certificate) so I want to verify that it is correct. Also, it expires in March so I assume she will need a new one. (Luckily we've got some guanxi there, too, too help offset the birth certificate debacle.

Cheers!

Are you talking about a single certificate from America?  I don't think I need one of those.  I've never been married and as somebody pointed out, we all sign a statement with our I-129 that should suffice.

I'm talking about the Single Certificate for the Chinese fiance.  Like I said, she has one, but it is not what I expected (a small booklet rather than a certificate) so I want to verify that it is correct.  Also, it expires in March so I assume she will need a new one.  (Luckily we've got some guanxi there, too, too help offset the birth certificate debacle.

Cheers!

I went through all this some months ago, and you still need an Affidavit of Single Status to be married in China.

You can get the format at the Chinese Embassy to the US website. You need the statement notarized and the notary further certified by your Secretary of State with an Apostitille.

Once you have all this it needs to be sent to the Chinese consulate that serves your area and they need to certify and notarize it themselves. Once you have all these documents you will be free to marry in China.

Read his post again. This is NOT what he's talking about. He does not intend to get married in China; his Chinese fiancee needs a certificate to show her marriage status at the interview for the US visa.

The Chinese fiancee can get this quite easily at the local public records office.

I haven't seen that, but I have seen the police certificate. It's more or less like a statement that the individual has never been arrested, etc. and can be obtained from the PSB.

Are you talking about a single certificate from America?  I don't think I need one of those.  I've never been married and as somebody pointed out, we all sign a statement with our I-129 that should suffice.

I'm talking about the Single Certificate for the Chinese fiance.  Like I said, she has one, but it is not what I expected (a small booklet rather than a certificate) so I want to verify that it is correct.  Also, it expires in March so I assume she will need a new one.  (Luckily we've got some guanxi there, too, too help offset the birth certificate debacle.

Cheers!

I went through all this some months ago, and you still need an Affidavit of Single Status to be married in China.

You can get the format at the Chinese Embassy to the US website. You need the statement notarized and the notary further certified by your Secretary of State with an Apostitille.

Once you have all this it needs to be sent to the Chinese consulate that serves your area and they need to certify and notarize it themselves. Once you have all these documents you will be free to marry in China.

Read his post again. This is NOT what he's talking about. He does not intend to get married in China; his Chinese fiancee needs a certificate to show her marriage status at the interview for the US visa.

The Chinese fiancee can get this quite easily at the local public records office.

I haven't seen that, but I have seen the police certificate. It's more or less like a statement that the individual has never been arrested, etc. and can be obtained from the PSB.

I know, I deleted the post myself

My SO got her single certificate and police report when she started this process. I included copies of them when I sent in our I129F.

They are both white booklets, a little bigger than 8.5 by 11, with empossed title pages, embossed seals and signatures. The English versions also had a sheet with the translator's seal and signature and sworn statement that it was a accurate translation.

Thanks to a freekin process that took over a year, she now has to get new ones again. They were both in the $70 to $100 range I think.

We went with the copy of the little green book with translation and notarized but NVC rejected this so we got notarized certificates from a government office in China to certifying that the green book was accurate and that dongdong had single status. I'm not sure when they expire but since that was July 2004 we are going to update just so there is no possibility of rejection from a 10 month old notarized document.

My SO got her single certificate and police report when she started this process. I included copies of them when I sent in our I129F.

They are both white booklets, a little bigger than 8.5 by 11, with empossed title pages, embossed seals and signatures. The English versions also had a sheet with the translator's seal and signature and sworn statement that it was a accurate translation.

Thanks to a freekin process that took over a year, she now has to get new ones again. They were both in the $70 to $100 range I think.

Could you tell me how your SO's new single certificate write? I included copies of my single certificate when I sent in our I129F. Now we have interview date, so we get a new single certificate, but they write different words ( state contents differently ) I mean the expression on my new single certificate is not the same as the first one I got. So I would like to know how your SO's new single certificate express to make sure that my new one is no problem. Thanks.