1000 RMB fora birth certificate!?

My fiance's father finally tracked down her birth certificate. Quite a relief really, because we thought we'd have procure an alternate form of identification. But the county official on the scene charged him 1000 RMB for it! That seems way too high. He's not gonna get it till tomorrow, so there is still time to fight it, if that's possible. Though I think it would be a no-win situation. "You can't fight city hall" was never more true than in China.

On a related issue, how much are they gonna screw me when it comes to getting the police records?

Thanks,

X.L.

It took 3 trips to the Police station and sitting around for about 4 hours to get the police report. Then to get all of her documents translated and notaried cost about $1,250Y. I don't know if that is a rip off or not ; but there don't seem to be many alternatives. Everyone is taking their last bite before she leaves!!!!

Phil & Yun

It took 3 trips to the Police station and sitting around for about 4 hours to get the police report.  Then to get all of her documents translated and notaried cost about $1,250Y.  I don't know if that is a rip off or not ; but there don't seem to be many alternatives.  Everyone is taking their last bite before she leaves!!!!

Phil & Yun

You got charged a little more than double what it would have cost in Dalian, where an official document with notary and translation costs about 800RMB. Good luck. Where is she from?

Yep, that's pretty much what I figured. Don't know what recourse we had, though. She's from eastern Guangdong (Shanwei), an area notorious for petty corruption and opportunism. I'm fairly certain appealling to a higher authority would have only resulted in a higher price tag.

Luckily, I think we've got some guanxi in the police department that will come in handy.

I have a question about translations of these documents, but I'd better make that a new post.

xl

In Shenzhen we also paid 1250RMB for the police, birth, and marriage combo pack.

Do you recall which notary office you went to in Shenzhen? I've seen a big one in Nanshan, not far from Shekou. I also saw a smaller one in Futian, somewhere on Shennan Lu. How long did the translation process take?