what's the longest we can stay in China?

I just went to the Chinese consulate in Los Angeles to apply for a visa to go back to China. The say the longest they can give me is 120 days for a one time visit. What if I want to stay longer, can I apply for an extention in Beijing? Anyone know what would be the max days for an extention? And how many times can I apply extentions?

In my experience, I was able to obtain 2 extensions for 30 days on a 90 day visa before having to leave the country. When I was on a 180 day visa, no extensions were permitted. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to a 120 day visa.

You must leave the country before your visa expires. Going to Hong Kong is considered leaving and you can reapply for entry there. If you overstay your visa, it's a 500 to 1000 RMB fine per day. If you are in serious violation, you may be barred from entry in the future.

If you really want to stay in China for a longer period you can get a work visa. My work visas were for 1 year.

Many Americans teach English at a college or university. If you were already in the country I'm sure you could easily find a job doing this. I think the employer would probably take care of getting the visa for you.

Assuming all of you above are K-1 this may be so.

*IF* MARRIED different rules apply.

Taking my ORIGINAL redbook (and a photocopy) to the Chinese Consulate in SF got me 2 multi-entry visas for 3 months each (Should have gotten the 6 month one's then- plans changed). Towards the end of the 2 visas expiration date I went to PSB Entry and Exit Bureau @ 333 Wusong St. Shanghai and got extended for almost 3 months- (the extension began on the day I APPLIED for it NOT the expiration date of the other visas). Took about a week to process.