Earthquake in So Cal

Depends on what map you look at or who you talk to. Generally its De, Md, Nj, Ny, Pa, DC, Va. some maps say Wv too. Some maps do not consider Va or Wv as mid-Atlantic.

The mid-west is considered by some as Oh, In, Il, Mi, Ia and Mo, but I've seen maps that include Wi, and Mi. Once I was researching info about the mid west states and I even found a map that included the central and northern plain states and Texas too as part of the mid-west, Texas a part of the mid west? go figure.

A funny thing about maps..........

In my step-daughter's history textbook from school last year, in it was a few pages about China. One of the pages showed a vicinity map of China and surrounding countries. The map was color coded, showing China in red and surrounding countries, including Taiwan, in green.

My wife laughed and said if this was a map made in China, Taiwan would've been shown in red, just like China...................... :D

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/ http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Qua.../ci14116972.htm

I once read that the safest area in the country to live is in the Middle Atlantic states.

Hello from the Middle Atlantic! :angel:

Us Californians know something the rest of the US doesn't. When the "big one" hits. VA will be the 1st state to slide into the ocean. Only CA will be left above water. That's why it's so expensive to live out here. If everybody could afford to live in CA, everybody would. Like puh, helllloooo. :angel:

Wait till Lao Po gets here, they'll be reporting 5's and 6's on the richter scales daily. haha NOT!!! :angel:

Go Big or Go Home!!! http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/index.html

Magnitude 9.0 OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA

Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 00:58:49 UTC

Question: Where can I find more information on tsunamis?

Answer: Please see our Tsunami Information Links.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Can we expect many aftershocks to this earthquake?

Answer: There have been numerous aftershocks detected following the recent magnitude 9 megathrust earthquake. The U.S. Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center (USGS/NEIC) continues to record many newly occurred aftershocks. As of 1:00PM, MST, December 29, sixty-eight aftershocks have been cataloged. The largest occurred about three hours after the main shock and is now assigned a magnitude of 7.1. Thirteen of the aftershocks thus far cataloged have magnitudes of 6.0 or larger. . There have been no reports of tsunamis being generated from the aftershocks. We know from past experience that the number of aftershocks will decrease with time. However, the number of aftershocks can be quite variable. There might be short episodes of higher activity as well as lulls in activity, but the overall trend will be for fewer aftershocks as time goes by. Seismologists are not able to predict the timing and sizes of individual aftershocks.

The number of cataloged aftershocks will be constantly changing, as new aftershocks occur and as USGS/NEIC analysts newly locate aftershocks from the first few days after the earthquake. Magnitudes assigned to individual aftershocks may change somewhat as new data come in. An up-to-date catalog of analyst-processed USGS/NEIC epicenters and magnitudes is at

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Qua...quakes_all.html.

I just read about that on your links, looks like the one in CA was not that bad.

I heard on the news (possibly the bbc) that the earthquake in SE Asia could cause a chain reaction and there could be increased seismic activity around the world as a result. The report also said that SE Asia could suffer aftershocks for up to a year.

I just read about that on your links, looks like the one in CA was not that bad.

I heard on the news (possibly the bbc) that the earthquake in SE Asia could cause a chain reaction and there could be increased seismic activity around the world as a result. The report also said that SE Asia could suffer aftershocks for up to a year.

the one here in so cal wasn't bad at all. i think they said a 4 on the richter. epicenter about 20 miles from here (riverside). what i felt could have been mistaken for moon's burrito after-effects, without the air pollution, thank you. radio said the 4 was at 4:30 a.m., and a 3-something aftershock around 6:30 a.m.

afterthought: it strikes me that maybe it was a bit insensitive or in poor taste to make a joke about our little quake here, after all that devastation in s.e. asia. i apologize for that.