No, she's not a criminal.

ShuPing had no trouble getting the police in QiQiHaer to give her a copy of her records, but when she called Nanning to get those, they told her they wouldn't be able to help her because her ID card is from QiQiHaer.

I can't believe that one could get arrested in Nanning, but because their National ID Card was from QiQiHaer, no one would know about it.

So what does she need to do? At the moment, she has a friend in Nanning trying to get the info for her. Barring this, ShuPing will be going back to Nanning prior to her interview to try to get it. Did we miss something?

Also, is the police certificate provincial or municipal? ShuPing lived in YiZhou before she moved to Nanning, but both are in GuangXi province, does she need one from each city or just one from the province?

I think the consulate is aware that you can only legally get a police report from the one location in China. My understanding is that the police report they provide states "No record in China". I would email the consulate if you are concerned but remember everyone is in the same boat. Just like the consulate knows that petitions expire in 4 months. They renew them. Since Chinese law provides that you can only obtain the police report in one location, the consulate has to be aware. I do not think that your gal will be able to get police certificates from each place. I would make sure that the certificate she did obtain is for "China".