Number of times visited in China

I continually read that one question that is asked is "How many times have you met in China?" Does this mean that if you met in person once, but speak everyday on the phone and webcam and know you love each other, that it is not enough? How many have received approvals but met once in person. According to the regulations, once is enough and even that can be waived under certain situations. I would like to hear from those of you who met once. What happened? How long was your one meeting?

Well, sadly there is no hard fast way to answer that, since the interview is so subjective. Many members here only met once and did fine. And that is all that is required, technically speaking. But I think that during a long process, the longer the time between meetings, while it might not "raise a red flag", may make them concider other things more closely, be a little more careful in their consideration.

I would say, if it's humanly possible to meet more than once, do. It's good for both of you to see each other again, and good at interview time. If it's not possible, then don't worry about it, just be sure all the other "bases" are well covered. Have a good tight packet. No sence in worrying about something too much if you can't change it.

Does this mean that if you met in person once, but speak everyday on the phone and webcam and know you love each other, that it is not enough?

No. And Yes. Multiple visits help, but do not gaurantee you will get approval. There is no set criteria for passing the sniff test; if there was then all the fraudsters would know EXACTLY what they had to do to get in. :D

I think about the only thing you can do to guarantee her getting the visa is if she is holding a newborn baby with your nose and ears on her lap during the interview.

Happy new year to all!

Yes, sometimes we talk about this too. Well, according to these who had been denied for their visas, to visit China only once is part of the reasons. There are many other reasons to make VO give us a red flag, of course. Especially the visa jouney takes so long, normally takes one year or 18 months or even loger, if it is possible, to visit China twice at least is more resonable to VO, I think.

On the other hand, to talk face to face to husband or wife is quiet different from only talking on telephone and chatting. I feel we got to know each other deeper and deeper every time we met. We learn many things and communicate more nicely after meeting each time. Visiting more times can make relationships between us more wonderfully. All of us here are walking in the way for visas, our aim is the same, to get reunited with our beloved ones soon...May we all do our best to reach our aim.

Unfortunately, as Moon Carol suggests...

The process to obtain a K-visa is constantly evolving to stay ahead of visa fraud. My Fei just got her k-1, but it was hardly a slam-dunk, even though I have visited many times..

A problem with a "one visit" application is that it places your SO squarely in the profile of recent visa fraud --- this has been well documented here, because it was reported widely in the press ---- a Chinese national in Washington DC who was finding American men (at fast food restaurants), sending them to China to be with a "fiancee" and "meet the family" --- and thus create a photo and travel document that was quite good for supporting a K-visa..

Since that scam was discovered, I think (and this was supported in Fei's interview) that Guangzhou is relying much less on the family photos, and more on other evidence --- such as entrance and exit stamps in passports... and other forms of evidence, known only to the VO...

Personaly, I would highly recommend multiple trips --- and I would also suggest that if you only have one trip, you should be there there for the interview, and be prepared to take the time to answer a blue slip!

There is no set criteria for passing the sniff test; if there was then all the fraudsters would know EXACTLY what they had to do to get in.  :unsure:

Of course, it also means legitimate couples have a definite chance of being unjustly denied <_<

Lai and I met three times: in Hong Kong six months after we met online, once in the US just before sending the K-1 petition, and once more in Hong Kong at the time of her interview. I was able to accompany her to the waiting area in front of the interview window, so the VO could see I was there with her.