Wok Cooking at Home

For those who are interested in a high heat wok stove for a low cost.

Check this site out:

http://www.outdoorstirfry.com/

I've been using this for about six months now and it is great if you

want resturant quality stir fry.

It will help your baby from getting homesick.

I also bought my 16 inch, hand hammered, carbon steel wok (imported

from China) at this site:

http://www.acemart.com/

You can view a photo of my set up at:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/59ef6/#TL

Happy Cooking...........

My wife doesn't use one.

Before she arrived here, I had purchased a really nice 16" carbon steel wok but she seems to be happy with the skillets and frying pans.

The only thing I didn't have was the meat-clever type knife. She had asked for one so I ran all over town to find a good one. Finally found one. She also wanted a pressure cooker. I was able to get that at Wal-mart.

I've been looking at a wok stove for quite some time.

The single burner unit for the home starts at about $1200.

Then you need a hood and fan, a major investment.

What I like about the high heat unit is you don't have to

worry about you wok cooling down when adding more food

and liquids to your dish.

The cooking process continues.

You just have to get use to working a bit faster if you've

been using the flat bottom on the regular stove top.

Wow, that setup is awesome. Only problem is I'm afraid it is all so big she will cook so much you won't be able to eat it all.

Ping and I had an interesting talk the other day about cooking tools and she said the best wok is made not of steel but of iron (I'm using my translation books here), and I pointed out my old iron skillet and asked her again, like this, and she enthusiastically said yes. She said that really you would not want to buy a new one because if you do then you have to spend about 10 hours rubbing the inside of it with a brick and then continue on with several more steps to get it seasoned right (I am translating here from the original Ping-lish) but the best is to get a really old one. We then digressed into talking about the infamous cultural revolution, as we so often do. It seems there are no yard sales in China because of this, and no junk shops, so it is not easy to get an old something over there.

Out here in the Portland area we have a sports and auto store called GI joes.   They have them there at a reasonable price.

I used to live in Portland. There is a large "All Asian Market" near SE 82nd and Hawthorne (across a side street from a Safeway store). They have woks, asian utensils, asian foods and many asian items. If you took your wife there she may have thought she died and gone to Asian Heaven. Check it out.

Wow, that setup is awesome.  Only problem is I'm afraid it is all so big she will cook so much you won't be able to eat it all.

Ping and I had an interesting talk the other day about cooking tools and she said the best wok is made not of steel but of iron (I'm using my translation books here), and I pointed out my old iron skillet and asked her again, like this, and she enthusiastically said yes. She said that really you would not want to buy a new one because if you do then you have to spend about 10 hours rubbing the inside of it with a brick and then continue on with several more steps to get it seasoned right (I am translating here from the original Ping-lish) but the best is to get a really old one.  We then digressed into talking about the infamous cultural revolution, as we so often do.  It seems there are no yard sales in China because of this, and no junk shops, so it is not easy to get an old something over there.

I believe the Iron wok is more popular in Northern China, aka Mandarin Wok.

Also it is used in Japan.

Just stay away from stainless steel and non stick woks as they

do not season. They are good for making soup and that's about it.

As far as cooking goes; I use pie pans to move my stuff from the chopping

block to the wok. It is easy to eyeball the correct portions and make the

transfer smooth. You can just stack up several dishes and get them ready to go.

The 16 inch wok is great for two or a whole family.

My fiancee's mother has a 20 inch, well seasoned wok. She is a great cook.

It's cool to watch her in action. Martin Yan wouldn't be able to keep up with her.

We have an electric stove so I bought a small one burner gas stove at the Chinese store on 82nd and Foster. I built a small cabinet for it and put in a 5 gallon propane tank. Stove cost about 50 dollars and the tank has lasted since last May. Hmmmm maybe I better check it and see if we are getting low yet. Must be enough BTUs Bing smokes up the house regularly with it. Next project? new kitchen cabinets with range hood closer to the stove. Right now I only have a ceiling fan that doesn't even come close to doing the job.

We found woks on eBay, but per the usual, it's hit and miss. The nonstick woks are pretty much useless. Our "nonstick" stuck, peeled and now looks like a train wreck.

We have searched and found 2 Asian supermarkets and a few markets nearby (we're south of Wash DC). Also, the regular groceries carry enough decent produce to substitute ably.

Thanks for the AceMart site - we may be buying another wok from them.