Hi All,

I am thinking about buying a new PC and want one that will support Chinese. I mostly run Linux at home, and my client runs Windows 2000, so I have never even used Windows XP.

Does XP Home Edition support Chinese? What about XP Professional? According to the write-up of XP Professional, they support "hundreds of languages", I'd assume that includes Traditional and Simplified Chinese??

Here's the blurb on XP Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...ultilingual.asp

Does anyone run this?

Thanks,

P.J.

Guest Silverion

Every version of Windows XP supports traditional and simplified Chinese. You will be able to both read and type (it installs IME)

Here is address of the article and excerpt:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/us...l_languages.asp

"It is recommended that you install these files only if you are going to be entering or receiving text in one or more of these languages. The Chinese, Japanese, and Korean files require about 230 megabytes (MB) of space on your hard disk. In addition to the language files, Input Method Editors (IMEs) are installed for each of the three languages."

Cool, thanks for the info everyone. I'll probably just buy a Dell, which you can get Windows XP professional for an extra $60 as an option, no need for the Chinese version for me, since I won't be able to understand it. I need to be able to input/download Chinese, that has become apparent to me in creating this site. I also need something integrated with the OS, like the IME packs. However, I don't want my menus in Chinese, otherwise I won't be able to find my way around my own PC. :) :o

Silverion, do you need special language files or IME installs for Russian? My PC at home and work both seemed to open the Word document with Cyrillic no problem, and I do not recall installing this at any point.

Thanks,

P.J.

Cool! Jim's back! I hope you are feeling better, Jim!

Hmm ... I figured one of the Candle future site enhancements will be adding something new and different above and beyond the 1000 posts=10 blue thingys. Haven't figured out what yet, but figured I would custom-craft a graphic for it. I'm sure whatever it ends up being, Jim will be the first person to reach it. Heck, I don't even have my 6th blue thingy yet. :o :) :)

P.J.

Guest Silverion
Silverion, do you need special language files or IME installs for Russian?  My PC at home and work both seemed to open the Word document with Cyrillic no problem, and I do not recall installing this at any point.

P.J.

There is a "cyrillic" pack just like the "east asian". Some programs do show russian characters correctly w/o the pack.

I talked to one of my students who is a computer science major and he told me, "No problem." That he would come by after his finals and install what we needed to let my wife take part in the 001 forum. Of course, I have learned that in China, "No problem." often really translates into, "Can't be done!"

I'll let you know what it is that he does, if I can keep up with what he is doing at the time.

Our computer is a Toshiba with XP Home edition installed and it reads and types Chinese very easy even for a laowai like me. All you have to do is set it up in the language option on control panel and you can choose on the language bar you will get which language you wish to type in. Menus stay in English 99 percent of the time also.

Daniel

I was able to get the IME enabled, supposedly.  The icon appears in the tray and I can select the input language, but we still get nothing but English.  Something is switched wrong somewhere.  I'll figure it out eventually.

No problem, Owen...just do a little RE-engineering!

Owen, can you fix my microwave too?? I'm in sales.... not engineering ... I need to reheat that left over pizza I got before leaving for PEK 26DEC :lol: