Travel through Hong Kong

Sorry this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Can my Chinese fiancee travel through Hong Kong to catch a flight to go to the USA on only her American fiancee visa? She has nevr been to Hong Kong before and is from Sichaun province

Thanks

I posted the link to the HK immigration website. Let me get it again:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_9.htm

It is quite clear. They will not *guarantee* entry. However, if she has a booked ticket from Hong Kong to the US, then they will consider her case and *likely* allow her to stay for up to 7 days time (almost always this is the case is what an immigration officer told me when I sent a specific email asking about the how often is it accepted, I think he said more than 99% of the time it is OK under these conditions).

Is she planning to stay there? If she is just transferring and not leaving the airport, maybe more luck. Maybe she should make some phone calls (to PSB entry/exit would be easiest) just to double check.

She can leave the airport and stay for up to 7 days, so long as she has a booked airplane ticket to somewhere else and a valid visa. The only reason she will be denied is if they think that she will stay beyond the 7-day limit.

Again, please read through this carefully...it seems like it should work! I would like to know from people who have *tried* however, has it worked?

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_9.htm

Sorry this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

Can my Chinese fiancee travel through Hong Kong to catch a flight to go to the USA on only her American fiancee visa? She has nevr been to Hong Kong before and is from Sichaun province

Thanks

No problem at all!

As long as her visa is valid and she has an international flight ticket departing from HK within 7 days.

I took a shuttle bus from GZ to HK airport with the Shengen visa (tourist visa to EEA countries, valid for 30 days only) only to catch my flight to Paris in April. I had no problem at all going through customs. They checked my air tickets and visa on the passport then let me through.

I think your fiancee may take a connecting flight from Sichuan to HK then fly out to the states. She doesn't need a transit visa.

I guess I should have been more precise. We are in Guangdong now and we will travel together by by land to Hong Kong to catch a flight to the States. So she won't be "in transit" in the sense of not officially entering Hong Kong. Probably go to Hong Kong the night before a morning flight.

Sounds like no problem. Thanks

I guess I should have been more precise. We are  in Guangdong now and we will travel together by by land to Hong Kong to catch a flight to the States. So she won't be "in transit" in the sense of not officially entering Hong Kong.  Probably go to Hong Kong the night before a morning flight.

From what the law states, all you need to do is to show the person at the boarder that you have an onward ticket for sometime in the next 7 days or less and that you have a valid visa to go to the places listed on that ticket.

From what a person who works for them told me when I asked him to clarify, that it should be no problem, but that they can not 100% guarantee an entrance. However, he definitely did not in any way dissuade me, which leaves me to believe that it should not be a problem.

If you are really worried, go to the website and send them an email detailing your situation and I am sure that they can get back to you in a few days (it took them only 48 hours to get back to me when I sent them an email asking a similar question).

from another active thread, putting it here too... (sorry, admins, am i treading in your water????)

hey all,

i mentioned this over in one of the "polls" threads, but just so it' more accessible. i am putting it here too.

Check em out... pics from my last trip to visit Edith, in may/june 04

Ryan and Edith gallery

PS - I am leaving in less than two weeks (Dec. 17) to see here again!! Going to hainan and her hometown, i'll include more when i get back...  :o

Hello!

It seems that your fiancee does *not* live in one of the cities that HK grants an individual visit visa to. So, I am wondering how you two got to go to HK?

Did you use a business pass for her, did she join a tour group, did you have a connecting flight onto somewhere else, etc?

Were you also able to get into Macau?

Thanks, and btw, nice photos. :lol:

yeah, i have always been very confused about this topic, since Edith seemed to get into HK with no problem. She is originally from a town just outside Wuhan, and is currently living in the Nanhai region, outside Guangzhou. I believe her hokou is with her in nanhai. (if that has anything to do with getting a HK visa.)

From our situation, i always assumed that it was easy for any mainlander to go to HK. She did have to apply for a 2nd passport, it was blue and different from her standard one she got for applying for the K1. I also remember this is all she had. There was no additional stamp or "sticker" in the passport which issued a "HK visa".

Lele, you gave a website in another thread. I checked it out briefly, and i thought that that section 7 applied to my SO?? am i wrong about this?

also, we did not go to Macau.

Ryan

I guess I should have been more precise. We are  in Guangdong now and we will travel together by by land to Hong Kong to catch a flight to the States. So she won't be "in transit" in the sense of not officially entering Hong Kong.  Probably go to Hong Kong the night before a morning flight.

There won't be any prob. I travelled to HK by land from GZ without HK permit but Shengen visa and round flight tickets instead. It was smooth. But I would suggest a connecting flight instead of bus/train travel. Going through 2 cutoms among oceans of ppl with tons of luggages is not a very good choice. I remember last time I carried my 55L backpack and waited in line at the custom for over 1 hour!!! What an experience!

I guess I should have been more precise. We are  in Guangdong now and we will travel together by by land to Hong Kong to catch a flight to the States. So she won't be "in transit" in the sense of not officially entering Hong Kong.  Probably go to Hong Kong the night before a morning flight.

This is what we did, except we took the jet boat from into HK (spent the night there as well). Leaving the mainland and then entering HK was not a problem with the visa and an airline ticket showing departure within seven days.

Guest shenkirk

It shouldn't be a problem even if she can't show a ticket to the US (in the age of e-tickets). My wife went through HK several times with only a US visa in her passport. She even met me at the HK airport when I came back once. The next day, HK immigration asked her why she didn't go to the US. She told them her boss had called her back to work and she couldn't go. They were skeptical but let her leave without incident and haven't stopped her from going to the US (via HK) several times since.