Kai is on his way!

I don't know about SFO but when Bing came through Seattle it took her

1 1/2 hours to clear customs and immigration once she stepped off the plane. I was pacing back and forth like an expectant father at the top of the escalator she would be coming up into the terminal. I had my camera ready and I almost missed her lol. She was nearly at the top when I finally saw her.

the line in SF last june was about an hour long when I come through.. most plane transferees at the air port are 2 to 2-1/2 hours between flights for this reason...

what airline did you use to get her here and how much --If I may ask.. Im doing the same next month but will have her fly into Portland..

Last time I cleared customs at PDX George was about 4 years ago when Delta still had the Japan flights.  I was amazed at how fast it went.  Maybe 30 minutes tops.

Thanks

now to figure out to park there waiting with all the new rules or park in short term and take shuttle..

parking may be more expensive than air fair..

Thanks for all the responses! From my own experience (standing in the USCitizen line) it took about 1 hour to get through customs and the Visa holders' line was a heck of a lot slower than our line! :redblob:

Does it seem wrong to figure in the custom clearance, when I plan what time to arrive at the airport? What if he gets through quickly and is there waiting when I arrive? I just hate the waiting. If his plane lands at 12noon do you think it would be a stretch for me to show up at 1pm?

For ghall20, My husband bought his ticked direct from the airlines (Air China) for 3200 RMB ($400). From my experience, it is definitely cheaper to buy tix in China.

Last time I cleared customs at PDX George was about 4 years ago when Delta still had the Japan flights.  I was amazed at how fast it went.  Maybe 30 minutes tops.

Thanks

now to figure out to park there waiting with all the new rules or park in short term and take shuttle..

parking may be more expensive than air fair..

Short term parking isnt too bad if you arent there forever. 10 dollars ought to cover it.

Portland Airport Parking

Portland International Airport (PDX) offers travelers several parking options, all of which are located on Airport Way with direct connections to I-205. The lots feature quick and easy access, as well as close proximity to the airport terminal. For your security and convenience, the PDX parking facilities are fenced, well lighted, paved and open all hours. We have ample parking and no reservations are required. We also offer free jump starts and flat tire assistance. The rate at all parking facilities is $3/hour, and discounted daily rates apply as listed.

Parking Garage — $18/day $3/hour

Conveniently located next to the terminal, this lot has more than 3,300 public parking spaces. Garage clearance is 8 feet.

Economy Lot — $8/day $3/hour, 7th Day FREE

The Economy Lot price is less than or equal to other off-airport lots, and closer to the terminal. The 7800-space Economy Lot is located near I-205 off Airport Way. The lot has red and blue sections, which correspond to color-specific PDX parking shuttles. Be sure to note in which section you parked so you'll know whether to return to your vehicle on a red or blue shuttle.

Long-Term Lot — $14/day $3/hour

Take a leisurely walk or catch one of the courtesy shuttles that run regularly to the main terminal. Located near the parking garage, this surface lot has more than 1,400 spaces.

PDX Parking Shuttle — Economy and Long-Term

Free PDX parking shuttles run from and to the economy and long-term lots every 7-9 minutes from 4:00 a.m. to midnight, and every 15 minutes from midnight to 4:00 a.m. Parking shuttles drop off and pick up passengers at the terminal's baggage claim/lower level section. All shuttles are wheelchair accessible.

Thanks for all the responses! From my own experience (standing in the USCitizen line) it took about 1 hour to get through customs and the Visa holders' line was a heck of a lot slower than our line! :o

Does it seem wrong to figure in the custom clearance, when I plan what time to arrive at the airport? What if he gets through quickly and is there waiting when I arrive? I just hate the waiting. If his plane lands at 12noon do you think it would be a stretch for me to show up at 1pm?

For ghall20, My husband bought his ticked direct from the airlines (Air China) for 3200 RMB ($400). From my experience, it is definitely cheaper to buy tix in China.

It would be a miracle if he made it through in less than 30 minutes. I imagine you would be safe with an hour. Worst case scenario he may have to sweat out whether you're coming or not a little while.

You mentioned driving down to SFO 6 hrs. Sounds like you must be in the Eureka area. How about coming north about 6 hrs to the get together Dec 19th?

That is precisely where I am...great deductive reasoning skills! :D I would love to participate in the get together, but it depends on cash flow. Thanks for the invite! :o

Perhaps you could help us find reasonable lodging? I don't know Portland that well...only been there for a few family gatherings (ex-boyfriend's family) conferences and concerts but always stayed with ex's family...don't think i will be ringing them up :o