Hello All,

I was just wondering about tax returns. Last year I had already married my wife so when I went to do my taxes I thought I would be get a better refund. But because she didn't have a social security number (or some other special number that was also acceptable, I can't remember what it was called), I was not able to file that way. I was told that I can go back and amend the previous year's return, so it is not lost, but I don't want to have to amend 2 year's tax returns.

When will my wife get a social security number (or equivilent number) so I can file my taxes and get a better tax return? Or is there another way to do this?

Ling & Brian

Look for information on a "Taxpayer Identification Number" (TIN).

I believe you need to file a form W-7. It should be easier for your wife to get a TIN than a SSN, and she should be able to get while still in China.

Sorry I don't have much more info on it, but the question comes up periodically.

----- Clifford -----

Actually I got a ITN number for my wife so I could file as married joint return which increased my refund by $3000.00. You do have to file a Tax Return with the request for a Individual Tax Payer number and you need a certified copy of her Identification. You can not claim her as a deduction though because she is not here, but since you are married you can file a joint return and do not need to report her income. The only problem I had was they didnt like the proof I sent them for her ID so I got a friend at work to notorize the copy of her passport for me and I sent that to them. Next they sent another letter and asked when she entered the US. Duh!!! I put on the last letter she wasnt here yet. So I went to the IRS office we have in town and talked to a lady there, she made a call and asked about the ITN number and they asked when did she get to the USA Duh!!!! I told the lady she's not here yet lol.. I had the number given to me right there. A few days later I got a letter with the Number Verification. So Guess what? Now they can't find the return and I have to file another one ( Geez) But PUB 519 is the one you want or just go to search for Form W-7 it should come up and it should be fillable.

I looked at the W-7 and it seamed pretty simple---but then I looked at the pub 519. (now thats one big story problem) Iv been doing my own taxes for years...simple when there is only one... I think I will have someone do this for me for a couple years or until the story problem gets smaller... Then I will start doing it myself again..

I got married a year ago OCT and did not file married last year on my taxes... Guess I better get that fixed.... Iv been claming 0-single on my

W-2---maybe a x-mas present from Uncle Sam is in Order..

• 3 weeks later...

I printed off the W-7 today to look it over. I filed last year with my wife using the W-7. It was simple and the IRS were very accommodating. My wife has her SS number now so I will use that. Thanks for the replies from you all on that subject.

I messed up, or should I say my tax preparer messed up, on the 2002 tax year. The tax preparer put "NRA" which was rejected by the IRS.

For the 2004 tax year, I will claim my step-daughter as a dependant. The only thing that worries me about the W-7 is that it says for use for those "not eligible" for a SSN. Our spouses and dependants are eligible for a SSN but not easily obtainable and certainly not obtainable by the April 15th deadline, at least in our case. I might need to call the IRS helpline to find out. I am sure I can get a ITIN to use for tax purposes until my step-daughter is able to get a SSN. It seemed to work okay for my wife.

Can I just say one thing? The United States Tax Code Sucks!

I just found out yesterday that I didn't do what I need to do in order to claim my wife. I thought I was going to get $14, now they want over $500.

Why, oh why can't we just all pay one flat rate or something and do away with all the f^*%& loopholes?

You guys are talking about the same thing I didn't do, so this is good. It looks like I can fix it, but it just represents more hoops that the government wants me to jump through if I want to get along in life.

Thank God somebody understands this sh**, I'm going to have to get a dose of Ritalin to focus long enough to figure out what I need to do. Once again, thank God for the collective wisdom on CFL. You guys really are a blessing.

When will my wife get a social security number (or equivilent number) so I can file my taxes and get a better tax return? Or is there another way to do this?

The equivalent to a SSN is a TIN, Tax ID Number.

My wife has a TIN, even though she has yet to set foot in the USA. I was lucky, I got her a TIN just before they changed the rules for granting them in December 2003.

Even if you can't get a TIN, one can certainly get a ITIN. I used to get a lot of them for clients. Even an Australian liquidator who never set foot on U.S. soil or has any connection other than being legally the person in charge of a bankrupt australian corp. owned by a us parent that needs to check the box to have its losses flow up to the U.S. parent.

On a separate question, does any one know or have a link to information on how a U.S. citizen file a U.S. tax return when all the salaries are made working for a overseas company? Itemized deduction? tax credits? charitable contribution? Does the remaining income abve 80k gets taxed at the low bracket or is it exemption with progression? The state and federal credit phase out apply before or after the 80k? Is the exemption of 80k plus housing cost? Thanks.

Got the answer from IRS publication. Thanks any way. It is above the line deduction. Hypo: if income is 150k, 80k exluded income, plus 20 k ( or whatever is the access of housing over federal base) housing exlusion. Adjusted income is then 50K, then deduct the charitable and itemized deductions, say with 20k left taxable income. Calculate tax on that, Ipeeeeeee, low income! Then take a credit for tax paid to HK on the 50K income (50kx16%=9k?). Will owe Uncle Sam nothing! But with some extra foreign tax credit carry over to be used when there is more income tax liability in later years. Overall tax burden: 16% on income determined the HK way (basically there is a housing deduction for HK purposes, to reduce the tax rate to 15%). Now, that is federal, state, local, social security and medicare combined at 15%. Income goes too high? The partners all gave up their U.S. citizenship and hold strange passports with language that I can't read. If congress repeals the foreign earned income credit as they threatened to do in 2003 tax bill. I will get one of them pink passport!

A joint return requires all taxable income to be reported by both people.

I'm not sure if that is correct.

In the publication link it says that an nonresident alian income is only subject to us tax if its an u.s. source income. There are some exceptions.

Looks like the publication has all the required info, just have to sort through it.