A Visit to GZ Consulate

Just attended the info session on Thursday 10/28. Here is some info and observations that you all may find of use.

Approximately 30 people were in attendance. Only 3-4 were there for K1/K3 visas that had not yet had their interview scheduled. This included myself. All the others were there becuse of "Blue Slips." Most were applying for other relatives they were trying to bring over to the US. Because there were so few K1/K3 people they limited questions for us to about 25 minutes. There were 2 US Consulate officials in attendance, one was a Deputy Vice Counsel I believe, but didn't get the name. The other may have been a VO from some of the remarks he was making, but could not be sure of this.

The following are answers given by the 2 gentlemen.

*From NVC to GZ will take approximately 2 months.

*For GZ to exam documents and screen will take another 2 months.

*Wait in line for interview will be an additional 4 months. But the second

name check must be completed before you are put into this wait line.

*The second name check "usually" takes 2 months but can take longer.

*As of 10/28 they are scheduling interviews for applications that were

completed with name checks/screening/examination on June 20th.

*There are 2 main reasons for "Blue Slips."

A. Not enough evidence of a "VALID" relationship. (I'll get into this later.)

B. Public charge concerns due to age, health, family situation, or

financial situation. They do no not want the beneficiary to become

dependent on the US Government for any support.

*You have up to 5 years to subit additional evidence in the even of a "Blue

Slip."

*They answer approximately 200 e-mails a day.

*For the I-134, submit the very latest info that you can obtain.

I was able to get the last question in which was, In regards to the interview and avoiding the "Blue Slip", is there any conclusive evidence that could be brought to prove a "VALID" relationship. Up to that time the 2 gents mannerisms and attitude was relaxed and a little bored. As soon as I asked this though, their body language became more alert, and they got a little more attentive to myself. The way they spoke was not quite defensive, but I sensed they were being careful with their words. Of course this was just my observation, but that was the vibe I was getting. Here is their reply:

There is nothing absolute that would prove a valid relationship. Anything that could be faked is always questionable as evidence. This includes photos, documents and yes, even videos that could be altered. The number of visits and the amount of time together is important in their eyes. A video is not required. It may or may not be viewed if submitted during the interview. It may be requested with the 'Blue Slip" in which case then you would definitely supply a video. Bring everything that you can that you think will prove the establishment of a valid and genuine relationship. But the man I thought was a VO greatly emphasized that the interview is not about documents. It is first and foremost an INTERVIEW. It is usually something during the interview that causes the VO to question if the relationship is valid and there is a need to scrutinize the application in greater detail. (How they can do this during such a short interview seems a bit suspect in my opinion.) He also said even though your fiance(e)'s verbal english is not good, as long as you can show evidence of some kind of communication and how that can work for you and can establish a relationship, that would not be a stumbling block.

On a personal note, have been here in Shenzhen for 1 week. Got to meet Mark and Bea today (Friday) and their beautiful daughter Elizabeth. She has these incredibly dark blue eyes and a full head of dark hair. Mark had better keep a close eye on her when she gets older, the boys are going to go crazy for her!! :) Also got to meet some of the lovely 001 ladies, Anna, Maggi, and June and Mark's place. Oh yes, my Ling was there also of course. :P There was also a beautiful arrangement of flowers from Carl and Bing to add to the festive mood. Will be here for another week before heading back to Maui. Also Saturday 10/30 will mark 1 year since Ling and I filed for her K1 visa and we are still waiting for the second name check clearance. So it looks like at least another 4 more long and torturous months for us. :lol: Oh well, I will certainly enjoy the time I have with her now. :P

Hope you all have a Happy Halloween!! Sorry for the length of the post.

Jon

Good Information but I have a question...

I know what the name check is but what is

screening/examination  check you said they do????????

I have a P-3 of June 21--but apparently than means nothing now....

George

George,

Sorry about being unclear. I meant the screening and examination that GZ does in China on your fiancee. So we have GZ doing work on the application as well as the "super secret agencies that refuse to be named because of national security concerns" that perform the second name check.

Jon

does everyone have to go through the second name check? What's it

anyway? Is it for you or for your fiancee? If DOS says you pass

security clearance, does it mean second name check complete?

Also, i was told by DOS that GZ got my security clearance on 27 Oct,

does it mean my date for waiting in line is Oct 27, not July 7 when

they received my p3? If it's true, it means my fiancee probably

gets an interview in Feb, not in Dec as I thought.

/Wade

does everyone have to go through the second name check? What's it

anyway? Is it for you or for your fiancee? If DOS says you pass

security clearance, does it mean second name check complete?

Also, i was told by DOS that GZ got my security clearance on 27 Oct,

does it mean my date for waiting in line is Oct 27, not July 7 when

they received my p3? If it's true, it means my fiancee probably

gets an interview in Feb, not in Dec as I thought.

/Wade

Wade,

From the info I got, they said that the second name check is standard for everyone now. By everyone, I mean the Chinese fiance(e). Her or his name is run through a number of different agencies databases to acertain if there is a name match with a known criminal, terrorist, previous visa fraud, etc. If the name does match, which it can with similar sounding names, then the process takes longer because they must do further checks to verify your fiance(e) is not the name on their databases. Which government agencies do this checking is a "secret" according to DOS. So you never know who is holding up your application. At least this is what I believe happens. There are other CFL members who are more knowledgable than I on this matter. You also might do a search.

I think you are correct about the interview time. Otherwise, when Ling fianally passes the second name check, she would get an interview almost immediately because we have been waiting since July 6 on the name check. :D But the earliest I think we could get the interview is February according to GZ timeline. That is if the namecheck clears today. :D

Is she enthusiastic about going to live on the Big Island?

Robert S.

Actually, she's a little apprehensive about moving to Maui. I shown her pictures of the island, and her first thought was it looked like a village!! :D She asked where the buildings were and I pointed out the county building of 11 stories as the tallest building on the island and she had a look on increduality!! :D I guess I'll need to fly her over to Honolulu to get a big city feel every now and then. :D

Hey ~!  How can you not like Maui! 

....  wish I was there right now  :lol:  my favorite swimming spots on earth!!

Big Island too ~  although I haven't visited there yet, read enought to know I would like it!

I stand corrected. I did not know the Big Island was actually named Hawaii.

Jon, have you been to all the islands?

Do they have high speed internet service fairly widespread there?

Is it true that everything in the state of Hawaii is really expensive? It is a shame that I have the ability to live anywhere in America with my job but I keep staying here in my hometown.

Jon, have you been to all the islands?

Do they have high speed internet service fairly widespread there? 

Is it true that everything in the state of Hawaii is really expensive?  It is a shame that I have the ability to live anywhere in America with my job but I keep staying here in my hometown.

Robert S,

I've been to all the major islands except for Molokai and Niihau. But Niihau is restricted to Hawaiians only. Of all the islands I like Kauai the best.

I think most of the islands have high-speed internet now. Either DSL or cable. Just got cable service myself about 1-month ago.

That's a definite yes that things are more expensive in the state. Plus, some things on Maui itself are more expensive than other islands. For example we've been paying around $2.65/gallon for gas for quite a while. On Oahu, it's going for maybe $0.30/gallon less. But its still a great place to live. Come out and visit when Ling finally gets here.

jon

Jon:

I appreciate the detailed report on your experiences at the US Consualte in GZ. I will be in China in December and plan to attend the Information Session on 12/16/04 (Thursday) if it is open. I have checked the US Consulate in GZ website but I still have a few questions. Hopefully you can help.

1. Do I have to register (e-mail ahead of time) to attend the session or show up at the Consulate?

2. Can I bring Pei Yun (my wife)? I don't think so, but I thought I would ask.

3. What can I bring into the Consulate? Cell phone, book, pen, etc.?

4. Any other "things" I should be aware of?

5. What is this about registering your passport with the Consulate?

Does this mean my wife must wait outside the Consulate, while I attend the session. If I can attend I will try to inform you all on the contents of the session. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

Mark