Mother & Father Coming To America

I've searched the board and found some topics, and I know I've read discussions on this before, but I need some help/clarification.

We would like to bring her Mother and possibly her Father too, to visit for 2 weeks. They live in China, we live in USA. She came here on a K1, and now has 2 year Conditional Status.

Well, around April of next year, we will be parents ourselves. We would like to bring at least her mother here for 2 weeks, even if it's after April, (likely at the rate things go). However, the reason for wanting her to come is a good one I think, for a visa.

But, if I remember correctly, some people had difficulty doing this. On the other hand, I've also heard stories and have met other couples' parents who came here with no problem, it seems. That may directly be due to these parents having enough assets--I wouldn't know, didn't ask.

Unfortunately, her parents are not wealthy. They barely get by on the farm they live on/own.

1) So does anyone know what our chances are of succeeding at this?

2) What kind of visa is this?

3) I suppose Guangzhou is the only city that issues whatever type visa this is?

4) Timeline--is it K1/K3 excruciating hell all over again?

On another note, what is the deal with Chinese tradition of mothers after the child is born? I've heard things from not bathing to staying in bed for 2 months. I know of no doctor that would recommend that, and I cannot seem to find proof or evidence of any facts that state this rectifies anything. Other than the stories of old chinese women who have constant head pain that was caused by not following this tradition...

Any help on the visa info is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hey Finenn,

Well the last part is easy. Just see the thread "Chinese childbirth- 30 days in bed" in the culture forum. Last date of post was 10 Sept. by Lenjia. It is also stated as a fact in a book I'm reading "Culture Shock Shanghai at Your Door". It is called "zuoyuezi" or "seated month". Several weeks of bedrest and "healing foods".

I believe that most of the answers for a visitors visa can be found on the US Embassy site for China- maybe someone has this info at hand. (Likewise there are somewhat recent posts on this situation at CFL). Richard

Being as a Chinese women I think maybe I can answer your second question here. :angry:

And YES, it is nessary for women who just give birth lay in bed for 1 month or more. Old people like my gradema told me that it is coz after you give a birth, your bones are kinda felling apart (Not really felling apart, it's just they are lose... you know.) So, if you don't take care of it seriously, it could cost huge problems to that women's health. Stay in bed and move as little as you can is just trying to get it tight up I guess. For example, if she uses row water (water that not heated) to wash any part of her body, it will leave her ache when she is getting older. (So, gonna be heated to 100C and let it cooling down.) Every different part of China has it's own "rule" to deal with this proccess but it's well known important issue for damn sure.

Good luck on your mother and father in-law's VISA.

As far as bringing your wife's parents for a visit.

This subject comes up periodically.

Here are a couple of previous discussion topics to review.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=5683

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=4320

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=3304

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=1&t=5364

In the past some members have had the visas denied. Others somewhat recently have had visas approved.

Ok, here is what you need:

- Apply for a visitor's visa.

- Prove STRONG TIES TO CHINA

- NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER LIE TO THE INS

- You may also have to show adequate support in the USA.

While your inlaws may be excited about seeing their daughter in law, and grandchild, don't make it sound like they will never want to return to China.

In the past, I have suggested that it may be easier to invite the mother in law to visit and leave the father in law in China (STRONG TIES). But, that may not be necessary. And, it would likely be more pleasurable if both are able to visit.

If all goes well with the first visit, then it is likely that it will be much easier to get visas to visit a second time.

Oh, and about the lying thing, somewhere I read a note about someone's father in law making up a phantom child to pretend that he had "strong ties". But it horribly backfired on him.

If one attempt is denied, try again. Apparently some people are granted visas after multiple applications.

The visa type would be a B2 visitor visa. The parents would have to go to the Consulate in the consulate area covering the Province where they live. For instance, if they live in Sichuan Province, they would go to the Consulate in Chengdu. There are 5 different consular areas in China.

My take on having your wife's parents go would be to just have one go at a time, at least in the initial attempt. I would suggest the mother, timed to go for the birth or soon after. That way there is the factual point that the mother would not stay in the U.S. as her husband is in China, etc.

Good luck.

My husband was shocked one time to see a Japanese lady here outside with her baby born just a few days before. He'd never seen a baby so young before. Wonder what kinds of strange things he will insist on me doing (or not doing) when we have a child...

He also told me when he applied for non-imm visa that a lot of the older people get their visas more easily. Presumably less risk for immigration...? Not sure why if they are visiting family, but that's a good thing. Definitely just having one should help if they are too poor to prove strong ties.

But did anyone else hear about this woman who's husband was killed doing construction in NY? She went to Shanghai consulate to apply for visa to go claim his body - denied. I still can't believe it. I hope that CO lost their job. Fortunately it made it into local news and Hillary Clinton and a councilman intervened and got her the visa...

Okay, so that's not really relevant here, but just shows you can never know, sadly...