Living in Guangzhou for awhile

Hi all. My company closed down and I've been laid off. I've decided to start saving my unemployment pay and take the opportunity to go live with my gal in Guangzhou for the next 3 to 6 months. We are planning to rent our own apartment and she says we can find a good place by going through an agent. Aparently we can get a nice place for 2,500 to 3,500 Yuan/month.

I want to make a smooth transition, considering I first have to pack up my wonderful apartment in San Francisco-- a painful experience. I hope to find someplace clean, quiet, fairly comfortable for someone used to living in the US. Has anyone lived in GZ for a few months and had experience with going through an agent? Any recommendations on good parts of town to live in, caveats on renting apartments, etc?

What about pets? Has anyone ever heard of shipping a cat to China before I go? Perhaps someone traveling there can take the cat for a fee? I understand they have a 45 quarentine period but they sometimes allowing the animal to undergo quarentine at home. I have a great Himalayan cat who I hate to give up.

I should be going to GZ in November. Anyone else going also?

cheers,
Icebreaker

Kind of pricey, in my mind. Place better be swank for that kind of money.

I generally paid around $120 month.

Ask some questions. Places are not always fully equipped as you would expect them to be in the US. Sometimes it's kind of like Norway - you may need appliances and lights, and sometimes even flooring is up to you.

Guest jinping/larry
Hi all.  My company closed down and I've been laid off.  I've decided to start saving my unemployment pay and take the opportunity to go live with my gal in Guangzhou for the next 3 to 6 months.  We are planning to rent our own apartment and she says we can find a good place by going through an agent.  Aparently we can get a nice place for 2,500 to 3,500 Yuan/month.

I want to make a smooth transition, considering I first have to pack up my wonderful apartment in San Francisco-- a painful experience.  I hope to find someplace clean, quiet, fairly comfortable for someone used to living in the US.  Has anyone lived in GZ for a few months and had experience with going through an agent?  Any recommendations on good parts of town to live in, caveats on renting apartments, etc? 

What about pets?  Has anyone ever heard of shipping a cat to China before I go?  Perhaps someone traveling there can take the cat for a fee?  I understand they have a 45 quarentine period but they sometimes allowing the animal to undergo quarentine at home.  I have a great Himalayan cat who I hate to give up.

I should be going to GZ in November.  Anyone else going also?

cheers,

Icebreaker

Hey Icebreaker,

If you dont mind traveling for 45 min or so,check out "Country Gardens"

It is fairly new and very nice. More in the country though. You take a short bus trip (5 or 10 min) to go grocery shopping.

I stayed there for 2 weeks. I had to pay for the whole month($300)US Dollars.

Clean,pretty good air, really relaxing. Check it out.!!!

Larry

Thanks, Country Gardens sounds nice, especially getting clean air.

The expensive places my girl checked sound quite swanky, 2 or 3 bedrooms, dining room, in a nice neighborhood. I'll have her take pics of a few.

In other news- hooray!!! I just got the email from the USCIS that my I129F has been approved! The CSC is finally catching up, even if somewhat randomly. I wonder how long at the NVC?

I just got my chinese visa today. I wanted to stay up to 6 months but she said the limit is 90 days, yet it can be extended in China.

bye

• 2 weeks later...

I 2nd that last post.

I used to live in the marina SF and it is worlds apart in GZ from being clean air. I have a good friend who lives near the EAST train station. Great area in a room with a view. He pays about 2500 yuan a month. swank!!.. If I am correct is the "downtown area"

My honey lives in Yangshou, Guangxi so that is where I am.

Might want to give your cat to your friends or parents for a spell. Sounds like it can be an extra headache in China you don't need when filing for visa

I did a 5 month trip to Central America a few years ago and gave the cat to my mom and dad and she adapted well.

john

shui niu