No Driver's License or Social Sec#

Nicola and I have been here for more than 2 months now and she still has no social security number and can't get a driver's license. Is that normal? I saw some people were able to get social security numbers within a month of arriving to America. We are scheduled for Biometrics October 12th does that mean things are coming our way or what? I know we're not in a terrible situation and I really do feel for the people waiting for P4's and interviews. This is a small issue for us the main mountain has been climbed. I just don't know what the deal is with waiting so long for the rest of this mess! Anyone know how we can get a social security number faster or get a driver's licence for Nicola without a number?

Hey bud let me see if I can help. When Jing got here on march 20, the following week I took her to local SS we got her card in two weeks They did not even look at her birth cert. Just her passport with visa. However after we got married on May 27 went to SS to get name change 1 month later got a letter from local SS rep that said she needs EAD or proof of applying for AOS and then they would do name change BCIS would not allow it to go through this is in writing from SS.. No big deal as the number does not change when you get married anyway..So had what I needed for Insurance etc.

Go to the Social Security Site on the net and you can find your local SS office there. If you have about 60 days left on the visa you should be OK.

If you filed your AOS from what I understand you get a letter from them saying they have recvd. you should bring that with you and you should not have any issue..

We all make some mistakes in this process. Here is my take on doing AOS for K-1

1. It really helps if you live in Portland Oregon. (just kidding but it is fast here)

Ok here's the real list.

1. Get married within 70 days of arrival.

2. Take a certified copy of your marriage licence, her passport with visa and I-94 to the Social Security office. Apply for social security number with married name. Very easy to do if you have the marriage license.

3. After the social security card arrives go to the DMV to get her a state ID card or dirvers licence.

4 Go to the Bank and put her on your bank accounts.

5 Go to your district USCIS office and file for AOS and EAD. In Portland they will issue the EAD on the same day other cities may as well.

K-1 is easier I think than K-3. I suppose because marrying in China your wife keeps her maiden name making it a hassle to change it here.

Well we just got back from the Social Security office and they said Nicola will have her letter in 2 weeks! I can't believe it!! $800 for AOS to our lawyer and they forgot to mention that we can get her social security number! Now she will get her driver's license tom and start being treated as a human being! I'm SOOOOOOO EXCITED! Thanks again for everyone's help.....Don.......Carl.......everyone. I really am excited about this because she can start her life now!

Our lawyer did give me the number to the Social security office and I called and punched in our zip code for the nearest social securtiy office. Anyone needs that here it is:

1-800-772-1213

We all make some mistakes in this process.  Here is my take on doing AOS for K-1

1. It really helps if you live in Portland Oregon.  (just kidding but it is fast here)

Ok here's the real list.  

1.  Get married within 70 days of arrival.

2.  Take a certified copy of your marriage licence, her passport with visa and I-94 to the Social Security office.  Apply for social security number with married name.  Very easy to do if you have the marriage license.  

3.  After the social security card arrives go to the DMV to get her a state ID card or dirvers licence.  

4 Go to the Bank and put her on your bank accounts.

5 Go to your district USCIS office and file for AOS and EAD.  In Portland they will issue the EAD on the same day other cities may as well.  

K-1 is easier I think than K-3.  I suppose because marrying in China your wife keeps her maiden name making it a hassle to change it here.

Ya, every state is a little different on some of these points.

We got Mei's SS# before we got married, and she had it in two weeks.

Then we were able to add her to the bank accounts and the ID card etc.

However in CA, for the EAD, they do not accept EAD applications in person. We had to mail the whole batch (EAD, AP, AOS) and then each application is handled as they see fit. Oct 4th she has the EAD interview. Mei and only Mei must go to the interview at 7am at the local USCIS office. Still have not heard about the AP or AOS.

K-1 is easier I think than K-3.  I suppose because marrying in China your wife keeps her maiden name making it a hassle to change it here.

Yeah, I don't understand why it is so much more difficult for K-3's to get EAD, SSN, etc. than it is for K-1's but marrying in China, you get a really cool little red and gold case to carry your really cool little red marrying booklet!....... :D