GZ same as always

I just spent over an hour attempting to call GZ on the 8399-2000 number. I was, by actual count, cut off 39 times and got a busy or "no such number exisits" message 7 times. I finally used one of the numbers that you've asked us not to post and got an answer after two cut offs.

Suffice it to say that nothing has improved. The operator did her best to convince me that I should not be calling that number and that she could not possibly forward my call. She finally admitted that no information team members were available because they were all in a meeting upstairs.

The answers I finally got out of her really pissed me off. Guangzhou always answers e-mail promptly. Guangzhou would do nothing concerning any case that had not been returned from Washington after a name check request, no matter how long the wait. It was impossible that a name could have gotten lost in the system.

Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent immediately afterward and that was sent to Mary Harty's office. I am back to making a pest out of myself. It is obvious that nothing is really being done to resolve the situation.

Ref# 115846

Dear Consulate Officer,

Since your operator at phone number 8121-8000 x5639 today insisted that all e-mails are promptly answered, I am re-sending below this my copy of my e-mail from December 23rd, which was not answered. In addition, I am sending a copy of this correspondence to Assistant Secretary Maura Harty at the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State

Washington, D.C. 20520

In attempting to call your customer service number 8399-2000, I was disconnected by your system 39 times, by actual count, this afternoon (January 6, 2003) between the hours of 1400 and 1500, the specific times that you list,

"Our phone number is: (86-20) 8399-2000. Recorded information is provided twenty-four hours a day. Information Team members answer inquiries from applicants and petitioners Monday-Friday from 2-4PM Guangzhou time."

After not being able to connect with an "Information Team member", I called the 8121-8000 number. I was told at that time that no "Information Team" members were available because they were all in a meeting upstairs. This is during the time that the consulate is advising people that "Information Team members" will be available. Furthermore, that is no excuse for simply being summarily disconnected from the information phone number. This is an on-going problem, which has existed for some time at Guangzhou.

Your operator this afternoon valiantly attempted to not answer any questions and to get me to give up, but since letters, e-mails and phone calls are not answered, I was intent on registering my discontent while I had the opportunity. She finally indicated that if no reply were received from Washington on case numbers submitted, then no action would be taken by the Guangzhou Consulate. I pointed out that that would mean that any case that was lost in the system would never be resolved and that after waiting with no action since August, (now at 21 weeks with no action) I had every reason to believe that this particular case may have become lost in the system. She did not dispute that point, but insisted that it was impossible for a case to be lost. That response in itself indicates a serious problem in the system. If your people cannot accept the fact that mistakes do happen and that an error could have been made, then this current deplorable state of affairs with the delays of family based visas and refusal to provide any information regarding the cause of the delays will continue.

All I was calling for this afternoon was to determine if the consulate was still waiting for the name check clearance, when her case was submitted to Washington for the name check, and what has been done to determine if cases with this long of a delay have need of further action. None of these questions were answered.

As it was explained to me today, the current system would easily allow for a simple keyboard error to permanently prevent the resolution of any case submitted. It is not difficult to see the flaw in the system, or lack there of, and to devise a procedure to prevent cases from entering the potential state of deadlock. I spent time in management in American industry and I would have been fired if I were responsible for the total incompetence, lack of initiative and lack of concern for customer service that I see taking place in this entire process.

Quote of previous, unanswered e-mail follows: (Note we are now at 21 weeks with no action)

I am a US Citizen (Passport number xxxxxxxxxx) inquiring as to the status

of my wife's visa. Case number: GUZxxxxxxxxx Wang, Chun Xia

She was interviewed on August 12th and was advised that there would be a

delay in issuing the visa, but that she should have recieved notice to

return to pick it up within approximately 4-6 weeks. It has now been 18

weeks and we have not recieved the promised notification.

Roger Owen Krout

owenkrout@hotmail.com

Owen:

Believe me when I say that your experience today with trying to contact GZ exactly mirrors the one I had. I suspect you and I were busy being cut off during the same time period :D However, I must admit, you were more persistent than I. I gave up and started ranting to myself after 22 unsuccessful attempts. :D :P :angry:

I never got anyone with a pulse.

I e-mailed them two weeks ago asking for the answers to three specific requests for information. I think I may have posted this but in case I didn't, here were the questions.

1. Has case number xxxxxx cleared yet. (Answer: No, we cannot predict how long this process will take. We will contact Ms. Chen

blahblahblah... :angry:

2. When was her case submitted for clearance? (No answer at all)

3. What steps do I follow to make an appointment with a Consular Officer? (Answer: The IV Office is open to American citizens from 2-2:30pm Tuesday and Thursday for inquiries. No appointment is necessary) :angry: :wacko:

It should also be noted that this response was two weeks in coming and basically contained nothing but the usual boiler plate drivel GZ is so famous for. I have been to the Consulate numerous times and received no info any more helpful than these totally useless sorts of responses. I mentioned in a post last week that I am about at my wits end in dealing with these folks. No, I am not going to go off on a flamer here (well...maybe a little

one :P) But I am sick and tired of this entire mess and especially the problems in GZ. I have been there enough times to witness the problems myself.

I, too, find it highly interesting that all the IV officers were upstairs in a meeting during the time they were supposed to be available for phone calls. I know, maybe some folks might think that they were perhaps formulating a plan to deal with our visa problems. Pardon my cynical nature, but I doubt it. I also find it quite disturbing to hear that they still say that it is not possible for a case to be lost. They told me the same thing during a personal visit three months ago. I badgered them a bit about this and finally they said that, well yes, they "supposed there was a possibility". What is even more infuriating is the part you mention about how they now say that they do not act on a case until they receive notification from Washington. I guess when someone in a past post mentioned they operate on a "passive system", they weren't

kidding. :o :blink:

I am considering a personal visit again, maybe toward the end of next week. I don't hold out much hope for anything of substance to happen, but then, what can it hurt other than my having to endure six hours on a bus. For those of you who may not understand why this would be problematic, please see Owen's past posts on Traffic in China :o :o :o

I know you can't post anyone's direct contact info on the board, but I, too, would like to send an email to Ms. Harty. Pardon me, but right now I'm kind of steamed at wasting two hours trying to get through on the phone and also because of what happened to you when you did get through. Enough is enough. :angry: :o :rolleyes: :(

It is public information from a DOS web page. Help yourself.

E-mail Harty: http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form_cat/a..._form_visa.html

E-mail Powell:

http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form_cat/a..._secretary.html

Contacts at DOS: http://contact-us.state.gov/

Mick, if you are serious about making a personal visit, let me know. I am ready to join you if I am not in Washington trying to get thrown out of Congressmens offices.

Owen:

Yes, I am seriously considering another trip to the Emerald City! I doubt, however, that I will get to see the Wizard himself. I am unsure of exact date yet. I know if I go, it will probably be on Wednesday, either next week or the following. I have to check with my wife who is, as I type this, in class teaching. I don't ever make any firm travel plans without first consulting with my better half! :D She has to give exams next week and may be reluctant to go as she will have a lot of grading to do. I may, however, go solo. I think its time to show my face there again. Like I said, it can't hurt (except for the bus :rolleyes: )

I'll post you with the exact dates when I firm up the plans. Thanks for the Harty info and, by the way, hope you are feeling better from your recent bout of illness. Stay warm :D

Would love to see you there. I'll keep you posted.

Nothing like going back into management mode to make me feel better. It probably helped that I wasn't feeling top notch as it just made me crankier.

No, this time I was not subservient. I wanted answers and let it be well known that I was not satisfied with the usual pabulum. My wife was listening to me and even though her English didn't let her follow everything, she could detect that I "sounded like a boss". Now she says she is afraid because they know my name. I told her I made sure they knew my name and I hope they get to dread my name coming up.

Just got off the phone with my fiancee. She too called GZ for two hours this afternoon, encountering nothing but a busy signal. She was calling after learning that one of her friends, who interviewed in early December, and whose I129F was submitted in March 2002 - FOUR MONTHS AFTER OURS- picked up her visa today.

Also, I have been e-mailing the info team every three days since December 26, seeking the same information as Owen and Mick, and have yet to receive a reply.

Given the complete lack of concern shown for any of us by GZ, may I once again suggest that we raise these issues with Consul General Norris.

Jim:

Thanks for the info. I tried the 001 site but couldn't make heads or tails of what was on there. :rolleyes: My wife will be back from class in an hour or so. I'll ask her to kick our computer into Chinese mode and go to the web site. If there is anything interesting to note, I'll post it. Hopefully some folks did get EMS. At least that means some parts of the clogged drain are breaking loose. Where are you in the States by the way? It's about 6:30 PM over here in Guangdong, so that means you either get up pretty early or stay up quite late. Otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing these posts right now. :D

Owen:

I think the management mode is appropriate considering the circumstances. My wife gets a little panicky when mine kicks in as well. Of course, mine is also flavored with a wee bit of Irish temper. :D Fortunately, it rarely happens. But in regards to GZ, it is well-deserved I think. Keep after them!

La Diva said one of the gals called and an EMS letter was on the way. That was it. It is difficult to translate that board with babelfish. :blink:

Looked at the posts carefully again. There was only one gal reported that she called GZ today and was informed that EMS for her would be on the way TOMORROW. No others reports on this even i tried to read line by line.. :P ;)

I come from a good German-American family. Seems like the Germans have a knack for sounding authoritive. I learned from my Father how to chew on people when you need to. Wish he wasn't so deaf now that he can hardly conduct a telephone conversation as he used to be totally intimidating over the phone.

It is public information from a DOS web page.  Help yourself.

E-mail Harty:  http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form_cat/a..._form_visa.html

E-mail Powell:  

http://contact-us.state.gov/ask_form_cat/a..._secretary.html

Contacts at DOS: http://contact-us.state.gov/

Mick, if you are serious about making a personal visit, let me know.  I am ready to join you if I am not in Washington trying to get thrown out of Congressmens offices.

Owen,

This is truely a dilemma in GZ. I personally dont think they have a clue as to how to fix this mess, or maybe the meeting was about how to fix it. Either way, someone should be managing the phone to help people.

This type of management would never fly in the business world.

As I said before, The name checks are not lost, they are just not being

re-submitted.

During the first part of Nov. all the names were being re-submitted but was put on the back burner or black hole to clear the mass 5100 clearances that DOS sent to GZ.

We all need to be involved and write, call or fax to the DOS and CA

All the numbers are here in this site.

Ask when was your name submitted or resubmitted.

The date of the name submittal is very important.

If it has not been resubmitted, your in the black hole.

I know they are still many names that have not been resubmitted.

Nothing will be done untill the resubmittal of your name check.

I am luckybabe's laogong. I finally got them to tell me that date last week after a ton of complaining. I have called numerous times, and each time had been told that they could not look that information up for me and that itw as not possible to do so (even when I told them that I knew it had been done for others). :blink: