cigarette custom in China

Over 10 ten ago, a family's member offered me a cigarette in Hong Kong. Since I don't smoke, I refused the cigarette. After that, he didn't treat me like a family member.

In China and other Asian countries, smoking is very common especially business meeting. When someone offer you a smoke, it means that he treats you as a buddy or business partner.

In US, smoking is becoming a bad habit and less common in public places. Do Chinese people still regard smoking as part of life? If your future father-in-law or brother-in-law give you a cigarette, it is tough to refuse it. -_- :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 10 ten ago, a family's member offered me a cigarette in Hong Kong.  Since I don't smoke, I refused the cigarette.  After that, he didn't treat me like a family member.  

In China and other Asian countries, smoking is very common especially business meeting.   When someone offer you a smoke, it means that he treats you as a buddy or business partner.

In US, smoking is becoming a bad habit and less common in public places.  Do Chinese people still regard smoking as part of life?   If your future father-in-law or brother-in-law give you a cigarette,  it is tough to refuse it.   -_-  :D

Yes, if you go the northeast of China, you need to drink along(liquor). The friends and family will offer you a drink in the dinner table, if you don't, they will think you are avoiding them.

Over 10 ten ago, a family's member offered me a cigarette in Hong Kong.  Since I don't smoke, I refused the cigarette.  After that, he didn't treat me like a family member.  

In China and other Asian countries, smoking is very common especially business meeting.   When someone offer you a smoke, it means that he treats you as a buddy or business partner.

In US, smoking is becoming a bad habit and less common in public places.  Do Chinese people still regard smoking as part of life?   If your future father-in-law or brother-in-law give you a cigarette,  it is tough to refuse it.   -_-  :P

Yes, if you go the northeast of China, you need to drink along(liquor). The friends and family will offer you a drink in the dinner table, if you don't, they will think you are avoiding them.

Jim,

I need to see you drunk. :D :P

That is so true!! I had dinner with my fiances co-workers... I dont drink, but they kept hounding me till I drank with them!!! It was funny though, they got sooooo drunk..  ah.... good times -_-

Kevin, they will like to see you drunk. I can imagine that. It happens very often in China. It is fun to see people drunk and talk too much. Somebody drunk and sleep though.

That is so true!! I had dinner with my fiances co-workers... I dont drink, but they kept hounding me till I drank with them!!! It was funny though, they got sooooo drunk..  ah.... good times :D

Kevin,

That is intriguing how the MMs try to show you off by planning a big dinner with their friends, usually in a private room. I found this custom to be very important to them but I kind of felt like I was the show and tell for the evening! :o ;) :blink:

Yes, that is very important in China. Hi, Jim, you are drunk and talk. :lol: :D Somebody drunk and sleep though.

That is so true!! I had dinner with my fiances co-workers... I dont drink, but they kept hounding me till I drank with them!!! It was funny though, they got sooooo drunk..  ah.... good times :D

Kevin,

That is intriguing how the MMs try to show you off by planning a big dinner with their friends, usually in a private room. I found this custom to be very important to them but I kind of felt like I was the show and tell for the evening! ;) ;) :blink:

Yes, that is very important in China. Hi, Jim, you are drunk and talk. :lol: :D Somebody drunk and sleep though.

I think I'm one that gets loose lips! :o :o :D

Jim, You can sleep and talk. :D :D

I bet you will remember all those dinners! In Chinese say "no liquor, is not a good dinner".

Sorry to say, I am one, who would refuse the ciggerate not matter what. I realize there is different customs and differnt believes, but that is one, I will not do under any circenstantces.

I do not get offended if people smoke I just try to find a non-smoking place to hang out until they are done, so I except smokers to feel the same way when I don't, and if they do, that is their problem.

I have never liked it, and always pestered the parents to quite. I refused to run to the store and buy them for my parents even if I was going there anyways. I cannot stand them. You are talking to someone who would be driving the car with my mom, and she would lite up, I would pull over and get out of the car until she was done, as I cannot stand it.

Scott

Sorry to say, I am one, who would refuse the ciggerate not matter what.  I realize there is different customs and differnt believes, but that is one, I will not do under any circenstantces. 

I do not get offended if people smoke I just try to find a non-smoking place to hang out until they are done, so I except smokers to feel the same way when I don't, and if they do, that is their problem.

I have never liked it, and always pestered the parents to quite.  I refused to run to the store and buy them for my parents even if I was going there anyways.  I  cannot stand them.  You are talking to someone who would be driving the car with my mom, and she would lite up, I would pull over and get out of the car until she was done, as I cannot stand it.

Scott

A Shenyang wedding would definatly be out of the question for you.