Riding Out the Storm in Alabama

If anybody happened to think about me and Ping and Jing-jing we are doing okay so far. The worst part has not hit yet here in NE Ala but should be here in about an hour. I am expecting to lose our electricity any minute. If our place will hold up we will be okay because we have plenty of food and water. Ping and I both were doing some what might be called panic cooking this morning. If it gets really bad we are going to break out the best whiskey and sing songs and tell stories. The two ladies are jabbering away in the kitchen right now, laughing and having a great time eating lunch, I ate American food earlier. I laughed at myself, this morning I was cooking fried green tomatoes. I've got my most important documents and all the immigration papers in a folder ready to go with us if we must leave. Will let y'all know what happened later. Hoping for no tornado. Wish us luck.

Robert,

I hope all you get is rain. I am over in China and Ivan was headed for my home in Gulfport, MS. My Mom stated all they got was heavy rain and some high winds that knocked down limbs.

So I guess I will have a house, job, and car to come back to. Hope you have that kind of good luck too.

Dave

Robert,

Hope you are still up and running... I was thinking about you --- had the impression you were not on the coast so, you were out of harm's way --- but got an update on the internet --- seems Ivan is still packing hurricane winds inland... Hope you can hunker down and wait it out!

(and give us a post hurricane report ok?)

--Kim

I am very grateful for all the good wishes. The weather reports had given the impression that really strong winds were going to come way inland but by the time they got here we only had some 60 MPH gusts. Here in my small town we did not even lose our electricity though 850,000 customers in Ala did. We lucked out this time. Ping is now making celebratory fried sesame balls. (Made with a dough of cooked and mashed sweet potato with this special vegetable starch, made nearly into a ball then stuffed with a dollop of this sweet bean paste like comes inside of moon cakes, then formed into a ball and rolled to be round, then put into a bowl full of sesame seeds to coat them. She will then heat the oil in the wok and deep fry these delights, yum!).

I believe I will leave the six gallons of water jugs I filled up last night and set by the dryer and let them sit there for a while. Ping will enjoy keeping on laughing at me for that for a couple more days.

Ping is now making celebratory fried sesame balls.  (Made with a dough of cooked and mashed sweet potato with this special vegetable starch, made nearly into a ball then stuffed with a dollop of this sweet bean paste like comes inside of moon cakes, then formed into a ball and rolled to be round, then put into a bowl full of sesame seeds to coat them.  She will then heat the oil in the wok and deep fry these delights, yum!). 

Yummy yum!!! I love those sesame balls!!! :D

Glad to hear you are all safe and sound...

Yummy yum!!!  I love those sesame balls!!! :P

Ohhhh I love them too! Amy's sister cooked dinner for us and she made sesame balls for dessert, but they weren't fried. They were white and soft and slippery with a sweet center. I thought they were flavored with poppy seeds so I asked if they had poppyseeds inside. Amy didn't know the English translation, so she looked it up in the translation dictionary. You should of seen the looks on their faces! I think they thought I had asked if there was heroin in the sesame balls!!!

:D :D :D

Robert we are happy you faired well, with the storm, could have been us in S.W. Fla as the first predictions, well we have a new one coming to watch JEAN, I need to see if the old part of the family did well, as they live north of Panama Fla. O if you have a hurricane party can we come? enjoy the part of shots of whiskey. should we bring a 1/2 gallon to start? how about some crawdads? smoked mullet? JUST ASKING

Robert we are happy you faired well, with the storm, could have been us in S.W. Fla as the first predictions, well we have a new one coming to watch JEAN, I need to see if the old part of the family did well, as they live north of Panama  Fla. O if you have a hurricane party can we come? enjoy the part of shots of whiskey. should we bring a 1/2 gallon to start? how about some crawdads? smoked mullet? JUST ASKING

Crawdads and smoked mullet! Golly dang it sounds like you know how to have fun even better than my family folks do!!! Yeah, bring a half gallon, all in pints, so we can swig straight out of the bottle. I hope your old family people were okay because they did get hit hard down there at PC.

DaveR, I am glad that Mississippi had no problems.

Hummmm....

Does sound good... we have 'crawdads" here in Oregon --- called: "crayfish" excellent! and bigger than I remember them growing up in the east (Potomac River)... Plus you can catch them in cold, clean streams, which I think improves the taste..

Any smoked fish is good ... but mullet must be exceptional, since I remember it as sort of an oily fish..

My favorate fresh fish in the world is an Eastern Blue --- caught as a hard fighter (even known to attack surfers on the outer banks of NC) --- but most people don't like the oil, prefer the striped bass --- not me: get a fresh fillet of Blue, and put it straight on the grill!

--Kim

We just had the visit of tropical storm Jeannie to Puerto Rico, winds reaching 60-70MPH, no electricity for 3 days now, but thanks God no major disasters, makes me realize that I should be better prepared the next time it happens, and that one of the best decisions I've ever made was to buy that old gas bar-b-cue.