non-smoking restaurants in Beijing?

Guest Fionas_Fiance

Guest Fionas_Fiance
But in all these things if you are marrying a Chinese you just have to make some adjustments. Imagine how much adjusting your fiancee is going to have to do in your "Paradise" and that's going to be to live, not just visit.

The only complaints I ever hear from people about where I live

is that the weather is too boring. For us, a hot day is 76 F (24 C) and

a cold day is 68 F (20 C), year-round. There is no humidity and no bugs.

There is no crime, plenty to do, downtown is clean and nice, there are

lots of parks and the beaches and mountains are beautiful. I can

honestly say that I would rather live here than any other place on

Earth. I feel very fortunate to be living here.

The biggest adjustment I think my fiance will have to make is to

get used to being happy all the time.

Of course, I'm sure she will miss some friends and family. But I

don't think she's going to miss the smog, traffic, congestion,

disease, poverty, crime, teeny-tiny living space, buses, and

smoke.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Don is right about Hep. B

Sadly, the only thing I know about either of Eve's or Jet's birth parents is that Jet's mother has active hep B --- it showed up in Jet's blood work, but very fortunately for Jet --- it is only the antibodies to Hep B ----

--- so while it will be a hardship for her birth mother, it was actually a gift from her birth mother to her ---- because it made her immune to Hep B...

Of course, I'm sure she will miss some friends and family. But I don't think she's going to miss the smog, traffic, congestion, disease, poverty, crime, teeny-tiny living space, buses, and smoke.

Wow, I didn't realize China was such a horrible place....

Perhaps compared to glorious SF it is a hellhole, but like anywhere in the world it depends where you live and how much money you have and what you find interesting and rewarding. I find life ceaselessly interesting here.

Yes, my husband found the US clean, spacious and people polite, but he and I are still both very happy here (I have a better life here than I ever had in the US) and frankly I find this kind of stereotype insulting.

My doctor said Hep A is needed for travel to China.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatit...faqa.htm#travel

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatit...itis/b/faqb.htm

HBV is spread when blood or body fluids from an infected person enters the body of a person who is not infected. For example, HBV is spread through having sex with an infected person without using a condom (the efficacy of latex condoms in preventing infection with HBV is unknown, but their proper use might reduce transmission), by sharing drugs, needles, or "works" when "shooting" drugs, through needlesticks or sharps exposures on the job, or from an infected mother to her baby during birth.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatit...itis/a/faqa.htm

"Hepatitis A virus is spread from person to person by putting something in the mouth that has been contaminated with the stool of a person with hepatitis A. This type of transmission is called "fecal-oral." For this reason, the virus is more easily spread in areas where there are poor sanitary conditions or where good personal hygiene is not observed.

Most infections result from contact with a household member or sex partner who has hepatitis A. Casual contact, as in the usual office, factory, or school setting, does not spread the virus."

I have had the Hep A and B series of shots as well as the Typhus vaccination. It was recommened by my doctor before travel to China. But I also had it because of work. Am constantly picking up towels and garbage from guests, and who knows what kinds of things they do or leave behind. Also, in the event I need to perform rescue breathing/CPR I don't want to take the chance of getting hepatitis. I know of a couple of firefighters who contracted hepatitis in this fashion. In fact, we are taught if we don't have a microshield mask to do rescue breathing, we are not supposed to try to save the person. :P

My doctor did say I should really be concerned about Dengue Fever. Not just in China, but any tropical environment. He said its the fastest growing tropical disease in the world? There is no vaccine and I think there is no cure. You just have to suffer through it. About 1-1/2 years ago, there was an outbreak on Maui, that was traced to some people who visited Tahiti and were bitten by mosquitoes who carried the Dengue Fever. So when the people came back to Maui, their blood was infected and then bitten again by mosquitoes who spread it to others. Sort of like the West Nile virus?

Of course, I'm sure she will miss some friends and family. But I don't think she's going to miss the smog, traffic, congestion, disease, poverty, crime, teeny-tiny living space, buses, and smoke.

Wow, I didn't realize China was such a horrible place....

Perhaps compared to glorious SF it is a hellhole, but like anywhere in the world it depends where you live and how much money you have and what you find interesting and rewarding. I find life ceaselessly interesting here.

Yes, my husband found the US clean, spacious and people polite, but he and I are still both very happy here (I have a better life here than I ever had in the US) and frankly I find this kind of stereotype insulting.

Well some people...Have a hard time being outside their realm of comfortability even just for a short time.

I really hope your fiance really loves San Diego and volleyball. It does not look like you will ever be leaving.

Most of your China dislike is in your mind try SOMETHING new for a change you might like it.

shiu niu

Imagine how much adjusting your fiancee is going to have to do in your "Paradise" and that's going to be to live, not just visit.

There is no crime, plenty to do, downtown is clean and nice, there are

lots of parks and the beaches and mountains are beautiful. I can

honestly say that I would rather live here than any other place on

Earth. I feel very fortunate to be living here.

The biggest adjustment I think my fiance will have to make is to

get used to being happy all the time.

Of course, I'm sure she will miss some friends and family. But I

don't think she's going to miss the smog, traffic, congestion,

disease, poverty, crime, teeny-tiny living space, buses, and

smoke.

Hey Finoas Fiance,

I have lived for brief periods of time up to 6 months in San Diego working for the government and, yes, it is better than a lot of other places in the US. But NO crime, traffic, congestion, disease, poverty or teeny living spaces? Have you been in seclusion in La Jolla your whole life and not set foot out of the house??? Actually, I have had my car vandlized there for over $4,000 in damages and the police would not even make out a report- "too little resources for this type of non-violent crime" they said. Car theft rate was one of the nations highest when I was there. Two of my co-workers were robbed at knife point in Chula Vista, homeless constantly hit me up in many parts of SD, I've seen deplorable living conditions in and around the city, across the border is even more incredible, The 405 and 8 are empty of traffic since I left?

Me, I feel better walking any of the streets of Shanghai after dark than certain areas of SD (or Las Vegas). Personally, I want to experience as much of the Chinese experience as possible to futher understand my wife, her customs, traditions, culture and food.

I you think your Fiancees biggest adjustment is going to be being happy all the time well.... I have already experienced bring a Thai woman here.There are others on this forum that have posted and yet others including the spouses already here that will concur that there is a lot more to it than that. Some have had/are experiencing difficult adjustments. Like someone said you are going for a visit and she is faced with a strange land, customs, laws, foods and laungage for the rest of her life.

Sorry if I feel caustic to you but try to enjoy your time there and experience HER life while you can.

Now that's over, I have found both Pizza Huts my step-daughter has taken me to are smokefree. I'm sure BJ has some vegan places also- the one in Shanghai I went to allows smoking but there was none of it while I was there. Also my Lao po washes our veggies in some kind of solution in the sink for 30 minutes or so and I have not ever been sick in China. I was wondering how effective this solution is on bad water just the other day. Likewise brush the teeth. Richard

Guest Fionas_Fiance

I'm glad you are happy there. Good for you! Everyone should strive to find the environment which is best suited to them. The environment that is best for you may not be the environment that is best for me, and vice-versa. You say tomayto and I say tomahto. Different people do have different, individual tastes.

Perhaps we can agree that we have different tastes and drop this thread of conversation. I don't think it is benefitting either of us. I wish you all the best for your life with your husband in Beijing.

Guest Fionas_Fiance
NO crime, traffic, congestion, disease, poverty or teeny living spaces? Have you been in seclusion in La Jolla your whole life and not set foot out of the house???

You're close!

I live in Del Mar and when I'm not there I spend most of my time in La Jolla. I never go to the bad parts of San Diego, which are mostly in the South.

I'm now very sorry that I ever brought up that I live in a nice place! Can we drop it and try to get back on topic? Non-smoking restaurants in Beijing?

Thanks for letting me know about the Pizza Huts! I just found a Pizza Hut in Beijing on the web!

Pizza Hut Phone: +86 (0)10 6532 4121

Open Hours: 10.30am-10.30pm daily.

Neighborhood: Jian Guo Men

Nearest Train: Jian Guo Men Station.

Category: American & Caribbean, Specialty

We accept: None accepted

Like I said, most nights Fiona will be cooking for me (or I for her) in her apartment. I only need a couple of places for when we feel like going out. Pizza Hut may work for one, anyone else have any other suggestions? Or should I just pay the money to eat in a fancy hotel?