My fiancee got her interview!!!

Hi All,

Great news, I just called the DOS and found out Candy has her interview scheduled early October!!! I'm completely excited right now, very hyper, trying to request a week off.

My big questions are the logistics about flying out there for the interview. I'm planning on buying a 1-way ticket for myself, and then having her and me go shopping togther for 1-way tickets for the two of us back. I figured maybe we'd better have visa-in-hand before buying the return tickets.

What have people done in the past? If I try to buy 1-way tickets for the two of us on 2 or 3 days advance notice, is it going to be insanely expensive??!!

Thanks,

P.J. :lol: :D :D

You should figure out exactly what you will do, and buy yourself a round trip ticket here.

You would be better off buying her a one way ticket here, and just bring it with you. This is what I did and it worked out fine..

Where will you be flying to??

Most airlines give you the best deals the further you buy from your departure date. Buying a couple of days in advance could be quite expensive

By the way CONGRATULATIONS and good luck.

Thanks, everyone. I went back and read some of the threads on plane tickets.

I would prefer to buy all tickets in advance (round trip for me, one way for her). My big concern is what if the consulate does something like requests a video tape or says we have to come back and pick up the visa? Is it difficult to change travel plans if going through flychina.com?

Don, when you went, did you take this possibility into account and have a backup plan?

I'm fluent in Cantonese and her English is very good, so I'm not concerned about making a tape, I just figure it would end up delaying our travel. Our interview is on a Friday, and I'd assume that if any delays, we wouldn't be able to go back and straighten things out until Monday.

Thanks,

P.J.

Guest blsqueaky

Congrats PJ. I remember that when I was looking at tickets for Ling back in June, the best that I could find was around $1100, one way, from GZ and a little less from HK. When she asked the travel agents there, she got a tickets for abbout $570 from HK. A big difference. The only catch is that would sell her one till they saw the visa in hand.

Guest Long_strider

PJ,

Glad that you and Candy have some great news. Like several others I purchased a round trip and a one way ticket from flychina without any problems. Seemed like the least expensive options.

Congrats again.

Long_strider.

Great news PJ. We shopped around extensively in China for a ticket back to the US from Nanning. We ended up using a Chinese travel agency for Bing to get a ticket to Shanghai and Fly China from there. Fly China was cheaper. You can get tickets on little notice from them. When I went to GZ to appeal I booked a flight on about 6 days notice. Same price as longer. The cheapest flights to the US seem to be out of Shanghai and HK.

Congratulations to our #1 member!!!! Feels good, yeah?!

I'm going to buy all firm tickets while here in the US (RT for me, OW for her) but for the tickets I'll try to get ones that don't have severe change penalties. So that IF there are problems, and we have to delay our trip bakc, hopefully we will only have to pay $200 to do so total. That's not exactly cheap, but it's like insurance. My honey is also fluent in English, so I don't expect any problems, but you never know.

I'd rather have a 5% chance of paying $200 rather than a 100% chance of being vulnerable to exhorbitant ticket prices bought the day before.

We should be glad that the interviews are in October ... CHEAP ticket prices! I just found a RT from Portland to Hong Kong for $529 plus taxes on the exact days we want to travel. Unfortunately, a OW from her home town to Portland is $710 :(