Guest blsqueaky
Cory is coming to meet my parents in early Sep. We are wondering what kind of gift he can present to my parents. The 1st impression is very important and We both want to please my parents.

I am the only child of my family and my parents are very traditional Chinese ppl. I suppose they don't want me to marry to someone outside GZ. I told mom about Cory but mom had doubt on him, saying that foreigners are not very trustworthy. :D Tough task! :D

Gifts are so hard to think of. I had to ask Ling, and she had me bring her parents some American Fish Oil capsules. I thought that this was strange, but I figured that she knew best. I also brought some small gifts that where from Ohio, like photos of where I live so that they would know. Their biggest gift and mine was when they said yes to the marriage, and they knew that I was okay in their mind, and they saw their oldest daughter finally happy, and today still happy.

Yvette, if you want, have Cory email your phone # and Ling can call you and maybe help with the mother thing, meeting Cory, since Cory lives fairly close to us, about 1 hour drive, and maybe your mother and my mother-in-law can talk. Just an idea

My father in law is a doctor and plays a lot of chinese chess,so while in hong kong i bought a nice set ,I also live in texas so i bought a cowboy hat ,extra small, and some barbque sauce with some meat perserved,and of course smokes from america,it is a custom to give the lady some sweets,i also bought a locket with the photo of there daughter in it

Yvette, if you want, have Cory email your phone # and Ling can call you and maybe help with the mother thing, meeting Cory, since Cory lives fairly close to us, about 1 hour drive, and maybe your mother and my mother-in-law can talk. Just an idea

Oh thank you very much for your kind offer. I think at the moment Cory and I will be able to handle it. :P We will try to get things in track. B) Thank you again!!!

Guest blsqueaky

Oh thank you very much for your kind offer. I think at the moment Cory and I will be able to handle it. :P We will try to get things in track. :( Thank you again!!!

Yvette, you are more than welcome. If help is needed, just let me know. Ling is from Shamian. I can just imagine what you are going thru, and what Cory is just thinking about the first meeting. I was lucky, I was able to meet the family on web cam and chat with some of them before I arrived.

Again, let me know.

I brought Jun's dad a bottle of Crown Royal.  Funny thing was he has picked out a bottle of Chinese liquor for me because he didn't know what to get.  So we had an alcohol exchange.

For her mom, I got a pearl necklace.

Jason, So let me get this straight... Jun's dad is passed out in the bedroom :wacko: and you gave her mom a pearl necklace? :o

OK, So where was Jun when all this was going on? Shouldn't you have given the necklace to Jun instead? :unsure: Don't know if we all needed to know that, but thanks anyway. :)

Seriously though, I did the same thing Frank did in the other post post. (Coughed up the $1K.) Most of the $$$ went back into the wedding party anyway. The wedding party was a great time and I already knew that a dowry was part of the wedding tradition. (Just didn't know how much $.)

I made a mistake and joked with my wife about how cheap she was to buy from her parents. "I got a great deal, I would have paid $2K. :D :P :) "

Ouch!!! :blink: It wasn't funny to her though. I got lit up pretty good for that one. :unsure: :o

PS. J, just kidding about the necklace bro. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

I brought Jun's dad a bottle of Crown Royal.  Funny thing was he has picked out a bottle of Chinese liquor for me because he didn't know what to get.  So we had an alcohol exchange.

For her mom, I got a pearl necklace.

Jason, So let me get this straight... Jun's dad is passed out in the bedroom :wacko: and you gave her mom a pearl necklace? :o

OK, So where was Jun when all this was going on? Shouldn't you have given the necklace to Jun instead? :D Don't know if we all needed to know that, but thanks anyway. :)

Seriously though, I did the same thing Frank did in the other post post. (Coughed up the $1K.) Most of the $$$ went back into the wedding party anyway. The wedding party was a great time and I already knew that a dowry was part of the wedding tradition. (Just didn't know how much $.)

I made a mistake and joked with my wife about how cheap she was to buy from her parents. "I got a great deal, I would have paid $2K. :D :P :) "

Ouch!!! :blink: It wasn't funny to her though. I got lit up pretty good for that one. :P :o

PS. J, just kidding about the necklace bro. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :unsure:

:ph34r: man oh man... I thought someone' mind might go into the gutter with that one, but I didn't think anyone would speak it. Thanks alot man, now I'll probably have to explain what you meant to Jun... :wacko:

Nah, it's cool... I'll just have to keep my eyes open for an oppertunity to appropriatly pay you back :P