Difference between I-134 AND I-864?

I've been going through all the old reposts and I just want to make sure I understand this I-134 / I-864 thing. So if someone could read my statements and tell me if my understanding is correct.

For a fiancee visa (K-1), only the I-134 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou. The I-864 IS NOT needed.

For those who married their sweethearts in China and are applying for the K-3 visa, the I-864 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou. The I-134 IS NOT.

For those on the fiancee visa, after she comes to the US and marries, the I-864 IS needed for AOS.

Thanks.

I've been going through all the old reposts and I just want to make sure I understand this I-134 / I-864 thing.  So if someone could read my statements and tell me if my understanding is correct.

For a fiancee visa (K-1), only the I-134 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou.  The I-864 IS NOT needed.

For those who married their sweethearts in China and are applying for the K-3 visa, the I-864 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou.   The I-134 IS NOT.

For those on the fiancee visa, after she comes to the US and marries, the I-864 IS needed for AOS.

Thanks.

Give the man a cigar. :D

Guest blsqueaky
I've been going through all the old reposts and I just want to make sure I understand this I-134 / I-864 thing.  So if someone could read my statements and tell me if my understanding is correct.

For a fiancee visa (K-1), only the I-134 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou.  The I-864 IS NOT needed.

For those who married their sweethearts in China and are applying for the K-3 visa, the I-864 IS needed for the interview in Guangzhou.   The I-134 IS NOT.

Thanks.

Give the man a cigar. :)

Oops, if I remember right, the I-864 is not needed for the interview in GZ, it is needed for the AOS procedure here in America. K-3 needs the I-134 for the interview, and that is even if they ask for it.

According to knowledgeable immigration attorneys, the I-134 has never been tested in court since the language is too weak for the government to try it. The I-864 is deemed enforcible, but they are unaware of any case law.

I had also read that part of the reason for the changes to the current version of the I-134 was to give it more teeth.

The I-134 is not even a requirement for Guang Zhou.

It is, however, an option for the immigration officer to use, if he/she so wishes.

The I-134 is a document which allows the immigration officer to see that if the immigrant is released to the US that they will be able to fulfill the binding requirements of the I-864.

In their shoes I would do the same thing.

What good would it do to let someone go to the US only to find that they cannot complete AOS requirements because they can't meet the minimums of the I-864?

I believe that is why in many cases they do not even ask to see the I-134.