A Lesson In Government Logic

That's quite a SNAFU. I'll bet you would like to KO some gov't workers. Looks like BCIS is worse than the USPS. And of course there is no need to go to the DMV because you can't get her an SSN. I'm PO'd just hearing about it. Your MM is not getting a good impression of the USA except for the beauty of TN. Well, good luck and I hope soon everything will be OK.

Acronym fun:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/buzzgen.asp

Actualy Robert, there is no end in sight. Part of the confusion started because her name is Fang Ling and her daughters name is Wang Fang. The Fang in Fang Ling has nothing to do with the Fang in Wang Fang. Somewhere along the line an attorney and a Gov worker changed the order of their name and now--well I hope and pray they don't get any serious illnesses. Without inurance I will lose everything--house, car, and (gulp) boat. All because they need and can't get a SSN for ID purposes. If it weren't so damned funny I'd cry. Should that happen, should harm befall them because of such a silly matter---you can safely predict a tall tower and a high powered rifle in my future-and I never even worked for the post office.

Yes, that was the key to the problem, the two Fang names. Damn!!! I hope at least the new people are reading this thread and making plans to do something about it if they have a similar situation. Thank heavens my wife and daughter's names were not similar. We very, very, very carefully made sure that we put in the application for SSN with the names changed to the American way. No problems. My daughter does have one little problem with her family name, Qu, because it is basically unpronounceable.

Guest blsqueaky

I know that when I went to the SSN office here, and was told that she is in the system, with the name as it appears on the passport, I can tell you that for sure when time to fill out their forms, I am going to leave the name thing alone, and fill it out just like her passport. Why rock the boat. In the morning I am going to call the DMV here, and see if I can get her a Ohio state ID card, with using her passport. Well let see what happens with this one.

I know that when I went to the SSN office here, and was told that she is in the system, with the name as it appears on the passport, I can tell you that for sure when time to fill out their forms, I am going to leave the name thing alone, and fill it out just like her passport. Why rock the boat. In the morning I am going to call the DMV here, and see if I can get her a Ohio state ID card, with using her passport. Well let see what happens with this one.

We went to the CA DMV to get the ID card. When asked if she is "eligble" for a SSN card I made the mistake of saying yes. It was before we applied for the SSN but she was eligble... and they said they could not issue the ID without the SSN because she is "eligble". Should have just said "not yet" they don't know and she would have had her CA ID.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Wash. D.C. office sent my wife's I-485 yo NBC. I mailed the I-485 Dec. 17, 2003 and received an acceptance letter from our local office. July 21st, we get an official I-797C from NBC but the MSC number is all screwed up. So I called the all useless customer service center on July 30th. They took some info from me, (after getting my wife's permission) and said wait 30 days. So, I called on Aug. 26th to inquire. The nice lady said it hasn't been 30 days yet, but I said, " it will be soon." she said, "yes, so call back then."

I'm dying to see waht they will tell me on the 30th!......... :lol: