Restaurant in Guangzhou

Away from the consulate. Across from the park by the river-almost across from the spot in the park you can buy a shot of whiskey. Lots of little shops in that one block. The restaurant is around half way down the block. I think there is around five restaurant on that block. You will know it because it will be the one with the longest line. My stepdaughter said it is named Qiao Mei, that is the pinyin spelling--I don't know the characters for it--but ¨ªf you really wanna know-I'll get the Chinese translator (my stepdaughter) and post them thar wiggly squiggly Chinese writin' thingy's fer ya.   It is YUMMY!!!!!!

Here comes the Native Guangzhou Gal!!!

Well Qiao Mei is the Group and there are a few restaurants in this group. The one that serves BBQ baby pegion is called "Lan Gui Fang".

Actually there are quite a few nice restaurant nearby, but most of them on the Sha Mian island serves "exotic" food. If you want to have a taste of Cantonese cuisine you can take a bit walking from the consulate to "Shang Xia Jiu Lu". There are quite a few historical Cantonese restaurants where you can step into GZ ppl's daily life and experience the culture here and the price is very reasonable. B)

Guest blsqueaky

Again I wish that I could remember the name of the place that served roasted turkey on Xmas, right down the road from the White Swan. If I remember, it was the 1st restruant pass the the little gift shops, across the street from the parking lot. Also had morning tea there, great food, and not expensive.

Also another that was down the road from the Ai Guin Hotel. I can remember walking there, through a small shopping area, climbed many steps, accross the bridge, down many steps, then around the corner. Out front was all of the seafood, then an elevator to the 2nd floor. Okay Yvette, help me out here

Again I wish that I could remember the name of the place that served roasted turkey on Xmas, right down the road from the White Swan. If I remember, it was the 1st restruant pass the the little gift shops, across the street from the parking lot. Also had morning tea there, great food, and not expensive.

Also another that was down the road from the Ai Guin Hotel. I can remember walking there, through a small shopping area, climbed many steps, accross the bridge, down many steps, then around the corner. Out front was all of the seafood, then an elevator to the 2nd floor. Okay Yvette, help me out here

grrrrrrrrr... can't tell the exact names cos I myself am not sure. ;) There are way too many restaurants in that area. The first one you mentioned near the white swan, I passed it by for quite a few times, but can never remember the name. The 2nd one you mentioned, i don' t know. Is it located at the other side of the pearl river? Actually there are many seafood restaurtants in Huang Sha, close to the Consulate. But I've never been there cos I'm not very much a seafood fan.

There's a Guangzhou Restaurant at the other side of the river. GZ restaurant has a long history and it's a symbol of the GZ catering culture. They serve nice cuisine.

Guest blsqueaky

Thanks so much Yvette, well I asked the wife tonight what they were, and afer looking at her book and translating into PinYin, no, she does not understand, but here are the names,

Xmas dinner was sha mian qiao mei shi jia

the other one that I was thinking about just a short walk from the hotel that we were at, xi hao er ma lu, bei jing fan dian.

Two great places, and what I liked the most about them, I was treated just like a regular person, not some dayum american.

There is also the 16th floor of the Ai Quin hotel. If they know that you are american, and if you ask nice, they have a menu that is in English, the same stuff that is on the other, just yuou get to read it.

I can not wait till my next trip back in March.

This reminds me of something I should have posted a long time ago, but forgot. Be careful of the restaurant on Shamian island on the end of the park near the White Swan hotel. Its stands by itself, and I believe it is next to the Kodak place. Anyhow, it had probably the worst food I've had in China yet. (we had the noodles which were barely palatable, and at one point I tried the spaghetti. I've never had spaghetti that tasted like fish, I think they use the same water for everything).

Guest blsqueaky
This reminds me of something I should have posted a long time ago, but forgot.  Be careful of the restaurant on Shamian island on the end of the park near the White Swan hotel.  Its stands by itself, and I believe it is next to the Kodak place.  Anyhow, it had probably the worst food I've had in China yet. (we had the noodles which were barely palatable, and at one point I tried the spaghetti.  I've never had spaghetti that tasted like fish, I think they use the same water for everything).

My wife will not even go in there, and she is from Shamian. There are quite a few places on Shamian that she will stir me away from. So far when we are there, there are only about 7 places that I will go, and 3 of them because they have menus in English, and I will not go to the "western" ones, except the Hard Rock Cafe. If I want to eat "western", then I can stay home :lol: :blink: :D

Guest blsqueaky
My big boss is "forcing" me to develop an info pool for the office. :lol: It's all about catering and entertainment about GZ and SZ. lol When I finish I'll drop some info here for your information. :)

:lol:

Yvette, I for one can not wait to see what you will post on this. Remember, I have to too what Ling says, she is from there, but I remember all of the places that she has taken me to, and I will admit, I have never been disappointed. Loved them all.