Try to establish credit for your wife

Last week I got an additional credit card for my wife. Would that help her establish credit? My wife's sister said it didn't help her all these years while using that credit card (which her husband is the primary card holder). I think my wife has to get her own credit card. She probably has to have a decent full time job in order to get a credit card under her name.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blsqueaky

Tony, I think that you are right. My wife has 2 of mine in her name, but I pay the bills, so it is not helping her. As soon as she starts work, then I will get her one of those guaranteed ones, but alas, without SSN, dead in water right now.

She can start with a secured credit card. But boy..it is not easy either. I put down my own money as credit deposit and applied for it. This was denied and they asked for a copy of phone bill, that has my name on it, a copy of my recent pay check. After all the required information was provided, they finally issued me a secured visa card. I am actually using my own money to build up the credit history, but this is the only way. Before this i tried several times to apply for a credit card but did not get approved, the same reason cause i do not have any credit history.

It was pretty amazed how Skibum's wife got approved for Dell fiancing. I never had that luck. Basiclly, it is almost impossible to get a credit if you are new here and have very little history of payment, either on utility, phone , bank and etc. Companys are very strict with financing now.

• 8 months later...
Guest blsqueaky

Thanks ski, well right now she is already starting to build up credit, a few hospital visits, I am self pay, but she is listed in their puter, so as long as the bill is paid every month, she is good to go, but the only thing that I wonder, without SSN, how to they put in a credit bureau file?????

we just bought a house together 2 weeks ago I made sure her name was on the loan, she also has a full time job and a soc sec # so I think next we will go after a CC or a small loan. I started my credit with a $500 loan then a $1000 loan then a few cards etc.... it happens.

Nicola was here no more than 6 months and we went to Circuit City and bought a camcorder on a one year interest free deal in Nicola's name but I cosigned for her. She got approved in her name for the financing and they gave her a visa credit card that can be used anywhere. When we got the bill we paid it off immediately. We put my income as her salary but she doesn't work anywhere (We said she worked with me). We then went to our bank and asked for a credit card in her name. They sent a letter denying her because of too many pulls on her credit at one time, not enough established credit, and whatever else. I then called our banker and gave them the denial paper. She is going to call them and make sure Nicola gets a small amount of credit limit on her card.

I have a guy that works here that uses the credit cards where you put your own money down to establish credit and they have had his $600 for the last year! They still say he doesn't have enough credit to get his own credit card. That way sucks in my opinion. Try to cosign a loan or something interest free like a dell or camcorder or something you need and make sure everything is in your SO's name but you cosign. All this has hurt my credit a bit because everything we applied for I cosigned and they pulled my credit for each time.

My EX always listed my income for credit cards in her name.

Most community property states are like this in my experience. The ex simply listed my name and employment and SHE was issued credit cards. Now if I could only find a way to get 2 items off MY CREDIT REPORT from her POST DIVORCE bankruptcy. I was reported as a secondary user and DID NOT know it! acw

She can start with a secured credit card. But boy..it is not easy either. I put down my own money as credit deposit and applied for it. This was denied and they asked for a copy of phone bill, that has my name on it,  a copy of my recent pay check.  After all the required information was provided, they finally issued me a secured visa card. I am actually using my own money to build up the credit history, but this is the only way. Before this i tried several times to apply for a credit card but did not get approved, the same reason cause i do not have any credit history.

It was pretty amazed how Skibum's wife got approved for Dell fiancing. I never had that luck. Basiclly, it is almost impossible to get a credit if you are new here and have very little history of payment, either on utility, phone , bank and etc. Companys are very strict with financing now.

Try the student credit cards. They seem to readily take people.

It was a piece of cake for us through that route...the only problem is the very low credit limit ($500-$1000).

Open a Bank of America checking account in her name. In a few weeks, they'll send your wife an invitation letter to apply for a pre-approve credit card under her name. I used my salary as hers. They gave her several thousand dollars of credit line!