Copy of Tax return vs. Transcripts

I notice there are two different request forms on the IRS website...

The 4506 is for COPY of tax returns, and you pay a $39.00 fee for each year requested.

The 4506-T is for TRANSCRIPT of tax returns and is free for all years requested.

Which is better to request for K-1, and what's the difference between the two??

Why the big charge on the 4506?

I had requested transcripts, but they did not arrive within the time period shown on the request (10 days, I think). Ended up having to use my copies of the 1040 which I personally certified as true and correct copies of the originals. The transcripts arrived after Jingwen and the kids received their visas. :blink:

The IRS form 4506 does not not require a charge for anything if you are requesting your three previous years of filing ANY of the 1040 series.

Re-read question #8 of the 4506.

Once you file a request, it takes about 30-60 days to get your copies. I did this with no charge and no problem

I had requested transcripts, but they did not arrive within the time period shown on the request (10 days, I think).  Ended up having to use my copies of the 1040 which I personally certified as true and correct copies of the originals.  The transcripts arrived after Jingwen and the kids received their visas. :angry:

I believe mine took about 3 weeks to come.