Greencard for parents

Our chinese parents are here for a few months. They are liking it here and wondering if they could get a greencard. I know they would not be following the stipulation of their visa if they try this, but if they try a legal way it must not be too wrong if it works. So the question is, is there a legal way to go about this.

Our chinese parents are here for a few months.  They are liking it here and wondering if they could get a greencard.  

THIS is why it is so hard for Chinese to get a visa to visit the USA, and why they are asked for "proof" that they will return to China.

I know they would not be following the stipulation of their visa if they try this, but if they try a legal way it must not be too wrong if it works.  So the question is, is there a legal way to go about this.

Yes, there is a legal way-- They can go back to China, and apply for a residency visa. IIRC green cards are for employment only; if they don't intend to work then they don't need a green card. If they don't intend to work then no need for a green card.

Have you considered sponsoring them?

Edit:

If for our wives the process is quicker when you get married in HK or Thailand and do things through the HK/Thai US consulate, the same might go for your parents: Move to HK or Thailand, then apply through the local consulate for the visa.

Don is correct. It is done on a quota system. There are x amount of visas available per year with prioritys given for each type.

Tips for U.S. Visas:

FAMILY-BASED IMMIGRANTS

The Immigration and Nationality Act allows for the immigration of foreigners to the United States based on relationship to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. Family-based immigration falls under two basic categories: unlimited and limited.

UNLIMITED FAMILY-BASED

Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens (IR): The spouse, widow(er) and unmarried children under 21 of a U.S. citizen, and the parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 or older.

Returning Residents (SB): Immigrants who lived in the United States previously as lawful permanent residents and are returning to live in the U.S. after a temporary visit of more than one year abroad.

LIMITED FAMILY-BASED

Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their children, if any. (23,400)

Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children, and unmarried sons and daughters (over age 20) of lawful permanent residents. (114,200) At least seventy-seven percent of all visas available for this category will go to the spouses and children; the remainder will be allocated to unmarried sons and daughters.

Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, and their spouses and children. (23,400)

Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of United States citizens, and their spouses and children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age. (65,000)

Hey, if you want to seek advise to cheat the system here, WRONG place.  Go somewhere else and don't let us see you here again! :o

He was asking for a legal way. I know you are new here and we welcome you but try to get to know people a little more before jumping to conclusions and attacking someone.

Guest new2004summer
He was asking for a legal way.  I know you are new here and we welcome you but try to get to know people a little more before jumping to conclusions and attacking someone.

I am NOT "attacking" and I don't have to "know people a little more" before I can tell their real intention as they speak.

I agree with what MoonCaroleCafe said :" THIS is why it is so hard for Chinese to get a visa to visit the USA, and why they are asked for "proof" that they will return to China."

Hey, if you want to seek advise to cheat the system here, WRONG place.  Go somewhere else and don't let us see you here again! :o

I'm going to vouch for danswayne. He's been around here for a long time. Never has he asked anything but good, honest questions and provided sound feedback to others.

Everyone else is right....the greencard will be a long haul. The gal that cuts our hair just finished getting her sister (with family) here. It took seven years. I can only imagine it's taking longer these days.

Hey, if you want to seek advise to cheat the system here, WRONG place.  Go somewhere else and don't let us see you here again! :o

I'm going to vouch for danswayne. He's been around here for a long time. Never has he asked anything but good, honest questions and provided sound feedback to others.

Everyone else is right....the greencard will be a long haul. The gal that cuts our hair just finished getting her sister (with family) here. It took seven years. I can only imagine it's taking longer these days.

I know two families that have been waiting almost ten years now. It really is a disgrace.

new2004summer (with 1 post under thier belt) says:

I am NOT "attacking" and I don't have to "know people a little more" before I can tell their real intention as they speak.

Oh my. The irony is so thick you can eat it with a fork.

Anyhow, danswayne; I apologize if my earlier response came across as accusatory. I did not intend to sound as if your in-laws were trying to cheat thier way into the USA.

Guest new2004summer
new2004summer (with 1 post under thier belt) says:

Oh my. The irony is so thick you can eat it with a fork.

Anyhow, danswayne; I apologize if my earlier response came across as accusatory. I did not intend to sound as if your in-laws were trying to cheat thier way into the USA.

Haha, what can I say!

BTW, I am trying to edit my earlier post but don't know how, since I am new here. Thanks.

Thank you to those of you who have tried to back me up a little bit on this question that I knew was dangerous to begin with. They will be going back to China and hope to return to America quite a few times. New2004summer as for you, I was member 30 out of 1047 at the time of this post. I have never asked a question with intentions of cheating anyone or anything. We were wondering if there was a legal way if they could return to China when they wanted to and go back and forth easier, maybe even do some work while here. If it is like Don, Mick, and Dave say they might just go back and wait until the wife becomes a citizen to immigrate that way. They do not want to stay here forever just want to travel to daughter and grandkid whenever they want to.