Starting a petition, I need help

Guest Reckeweg2000

Guest Reckeweg2000

Hello everyone,

I just came back from Shanghai, and I finally met her, the one, the woman I am meant to be with. I was told the K-1 visa is the way to go. I think I have everything I need to submit it. I would like to know exactly what I need to send to the BCIS. I have heard that sending too much info can be harmful to your case, is this true? Please someone help me out.

Thanks everyone,

Aaron

Hi and welcome to candle. Check out the links and resources section of this site. It will give you the latest info on filing the 1-129. Just curious, what center will you be filing your petition at? I am now married to a wonderful woman from Shanghai. Love that city!!

Hi Aaron

I am also in the process of bringing my loved one back from Shanghai.

Your fiancee will need to get translated and notorized copys of:

her single papers (or divorce papers if she was divorced)

her identity papers (equivalent of birth certificate - ID card)

and police report (saying she is not wanted for or convicted of a crime)

She will also need photos of her and a few other things, like pictures of the two of you together and a signed letter from her saying that she accepts your proposal of marriage.

I found a very good website that helped me gather the required info and which explaned the entire process very well. Check out

www.ins-fiance-visa.com/index.html

Good Luck!

Steve

P.S. seeing the way traffic flows in Shanghai, I couldn't believe that I didn't see daily car crashes!!

Congratulations Aaron, happy to hear about your good fortune! And welcome to CFL :P

Uhm, a tiny little bit of disinformation above. For now, you don't need her birth certificate or police reports. That will be needed later for the interview, about a year away for you. Unless you are going thru the Vermont Service Center, then much less than a year.

For now, go to the Resources section and you'll see all the stuff you'll need for the original Petition submission to whichever service center applies to you. Or just click here for the latest and greatest application procedures straight from the Feds:

How Do I Bring My Fiancé(e) to the United States?

Good luck!

UPDATE! I just read a post by "Scott & Lai" and he said they did get an RFE when the Feds wanted to see Lai's birth certificate. So ... even though the instructions don't ask for a birth certficate, maybe it's a good idea to include one anyway? We didn't include her BC, and we had no problems. Up to you I guess.

Welcome to CFL and the Matrix. If you're lucky you'll get disconnected like the rest of us, but it's a strange world out there in visa land. :P

When I submitted the I-129f over a year ago, I included only the bare essentials and not too many photos. I was advised not to give them more than was was necessary for fear that it might confuse them and create an RFE or two. I took this advice and got approved in due course.

Things may have changed since I filed, but I would check the links and then ask more questions. Believe me, you'll have much to ask.

Good luck.

Welcome to the CFL Family Aaron. The journey you have started will seem like a magic ride someday. I think the majority of us that rode it through to the point of having our darlin's come to the magic kingdom of the USA will agree there is no ride like it any place else. Put on your seatbelt and hang on tight. Just when you think your on the last drop or turn--SHAZZZZAAAAAMMMM! Thier you go again. Welcome.

Trigg