RFE on K1 for spouse "N/A" verses "None"

Caught this elsewhere and thought it interesting. Applicants for K-1 had entered "N/A" instead of "None" on the prior spouses block. I may know someone that can relate to this.

They also had submitted a hotel receipt that had their names listed as MR. and MRS. on it. Whoops!

Something K-1 people should watch out for??? Richard

Along that note I have to add I'm worried about the e-mails I submitted as part of the evidence of relationship with my I-129F (K1). My fiancee has just about started out all of her e-mails as "My Dearest Husband". I've tried to break her of that habit but she could never seem to remember. According to her, there is not really any word in the Chinese language for "fiancee". As soon as a man and women become engaged to each other to be married, they refer to each other as "Husband" and "Wife". Now I'm really sweating this one. Because I can see someone at the CIS or Consulate using this as as excuse to jerk us around.

According to her, there is not really any word in the Chinese language for "fiancee".  As soon as a man and women become engaged to each other to be married, they refer to each other as "Husband" and "Wife".

The words in Chinese for Fiance(e) are "future husband" and "future wife" wei hun fu and wei hun qi. The words "laopo" (old lady or wife) and "laogong" (old man or husband) are terms of endearment and are commonly used in serious relationships even if the couple are not married.

Caught this elsewhere and thought it interesting. Applicants for K-1 had entered "N/A" instead of "None" on the prior spouses block. I may know someone that can relate to this.

Yep, I got one :D :D

Well, that was nearly a year ago when I got that RFE.... Just had to write NONE on the RFE form and send it back.

Stupidest thing that I can imagine :P

Yes, in a sense, N/A is ambiguous. (someone could mean "None of your Damned Business"). But, if they really wanted to know, then they would have worded the question:

Have you ever been married before Yes/No?

If Yes, Please list the names of previous spouses, dates, and type of seperation :_____________

But, I guess there is some cruel sense of pleasure that they get out of making ambiguous forms :P

Along that note I have to add I'm worried about the e-mails I submitted as part of the evidence of relationship with my I-129F (K1).  My fiancee has just about started out all of her e-mails as "My Dearest Husband".  I've tried to break her of that habit but she could never seem to remember.   According to her, there is not really any word in the Chinese language for "fiancee".  As soon as a man and women become engaged to each other to be married, they refer to each other as "Husband" and "Wife".  Now I'm really sweating this one.  Because I can see someone at the CIS or Consulate using this as as excuse to jerk us around.

When prepping the I-129f, I was stongly advised to omit any correspondence with references to wife, husband, lao po or lao gong for fear of confusing the service center. But, by the time the interview rolled along, I figured the endearments were common enough that the consulate would know this, so all correspondence was copied for presentation during the interview. As it turned out, none of it was even looked at.

Stupidest thing that I can imagine :D

Yes, in a sense, N/A is ambiguous.  (someone could mean "None of your Damned Business").   But, if they really wanted to know, then they would have worded the question:

Have you ever been married before Yes/No?

If Yes, Please list the names of previous spouses, dates, and type of seperation :_____________

But, I guess there is some cruel sense of pleasure that they get out of making ambiguous forms :D

Hey Clifford kinda knew I would hear from you on this one. I agree DOUBLE STUPID!!! I like your proposed wording, however, you will never land a goverment job with common sense. I retired from DOD. Our 15 volume work manual had TWO legal definitions of N/A dependent on what forms were being used. On most forms N/A meant not applicable on others- it was not available.

Also in regards to the comments by Frank and Yave on using the terms husband/wife- my first thoughts were Whoops! Wait a minute I've decided to go K-3 (CSC and other considerations). Can I get extra credit for this??? Richard

Just for the record, the instructions for the G325 form, biographic information, (would have to check the rest of the forms) says to put "N/A" in places where something does not apply (like former spouse name if never married.) I read that the service centers have been instructed to reduce the number of RFE's for something as stupid as the wrong choice between none and N/A. If you leave an entry blank, then it is ambiguous and could get an RFE.

Just for the record, the instructions for the G325 form, biographic information,  (would have to check the rest of the forms) says to put "N/A" in places where something does not apply (like former spouse name if never married.) I read that the service centers have been instructed to reduce the number of RFE's for something as stupid as the wrong choice between none and N/A. If you leave an entry blank, then it is ambiguous and could get an RFE.

Well, I would hope that someone would sit back and realize that the "Standard" for this type of form is to write "N/A".

I didn't find "official" instructions for the G325A, but here are the instructions for:

I-129F

2. General Filing Instructions

C. Answer all questions fully and accurately.  State that an item is note applicable with "N/A." If the answer is "none" write none.

I-130

4. What are the general filing instructions?

C. Answer all questions fully and accurate.y  If any item does not apply, please write "N/A"

If I had noticed that, I would have very much considered sendingtheir instructions back with the N/A hilighted rather than the RFE form :D Of course, I filed the I-129F which does mention the use of N/A OR NONE

Just for the record, the instructions for the G325 form, biographic information,  (would have to check the rest of the forms) says to put "N/A" in places where something does not apply (like former spouse name if never married.) I read that the service centers have been instructed to reduce the number of RFE's for something as stupid as the wrong choice between none and N/A. If you leave an entry blank, then it is ambiguous and could get an RFE.

Well, I would hope that someone would sit back and realize that the "Standard" for this type of form is to write "N/A".

I didn't find "official" instructions for the G325A, but here are the instructions for:

I-129F

2. General Filing Instructions

C. Answer all questions fully and accurately.  State that an item is note applicable with "N/A." If the answer is "none" write none.

I-130

4. What are the general filing instructions?

C. Answer all questions fully and accurate.y  If any item does not apply, please write "N/A"

If I had noticed that, I would have very much considered sendingtheir instructions back with the N/A hilighted rather than the RFE form :D Of course, I filed the I-129F which does mention the use of N/A OR NONE

On the G-325A, there are a few places on the form which say "If none, so state". Which would lead one to believe that writing "none" would be okay.

Hi Clifford, Fast note- if you had gone through the pain and agony of the prior spouse syndrome this probably would not have happened. (Jokingly, of course). Richard

Well, this will be (hopefully) the first marriage for both Irina and myself.... so they probably would still have tried to catch me up on that one. And, I am also hoping that it will be our last marriage.

Yes, looking back at it, it clearly says "if none so state"... I don't know why I didn't pick up on that one, except from back in High School, I was always taught on "forms" that one puts N/A for any question that doesn't apply.

If they had asked me the NUMBER of previous wives, then the answer would clearly have been "none" or "zero". However, the question was for the NAMES of previous wives. Thus, "Not Applicable" is the appropriate response.

Like I said, if the INS thinks that distinction is important then they would put in a Yes/No question instead of their wording. They Probably send out a ten thousand RFE's on that one for every person that is trying to sneak a semantic thing past them. And, these frivolous RFE's not only are an aggravation for the people, but it costs our government money as well as adding an additional load on an already overburdened system.

Hmmm, why is it easier to prove that one is divorced than to prove that one was never married?

----- Clifford ------

Yeah, I read on one of the government sites about how they are trying to stop this minor error RFE situation and be ever so helpful. At the same time on another visa site I see TSC has issued more than one of these same "N/A" RFE's. The one with "Mr. and Mrs." on the hotel receipt- fine- in your case and perhaps thousands of others- Give me a break . I also saw a site earlier to contact the director of forms. Maybe you ought to send them your version. It is crystal clear. Richard

Well, Irina and I always introduced ourselves as boyfriend/girlfriend....

However, I have heard that there are some situations where it is more convenient to register in a hotel as being married rather than unmarried because of social stigma. I would think the USA would be conscientious about other cultures and their practices.

---- CK ----