Newark <--> JFK <--> Laguardia

I was looking at airline tickets.....

I noticed some of the airlines had domestic connecting flights to Laguardia or Newark, and international flights out of JFK.

Should one even attempt changing airports, or is it best to just find connecting flights that are all at the same airport?

How long does it take to get between airports in the NYC area?

Maybe I should just book the flight for Irina and let her figure it out by herself :D

----- Clifford -----

I lived in NYC for a long time and I can tell you this. Although NY has a great subway system, the train doesn't go to either airport. There may be a city bus to a subway station at both ends, but it would be 2 busses, a long ride into and out of the city and definately more than 1 train. Not a very pleasant way to go, especially if you are not familiar with NYC and have bags to carry. Taxi is the only viable alternative here. It's about 12 miles and could be $25 or $30. As for Newark, multiply these problems by about 3. Newark is much further away in NJ and you still have the same hassle at the NY end.

:D

Let her change between the 3 airports in NYC on her own IS out of the question! I wouldn't even think about it.

Actually, I wouldn't even ask her to change terminals at JFK on her own.

The last time I had to change terminals, I arrived at terminal 1, departed at terminal 9. Little did I know that I should have walked counterclockwise to the departure terminal. But, instead I hopped on the convenience bus.... Little did I know that the bus only went to Terminal 5 and then stopped and I had to get off.... Then the next 2 or 3 busses did the same thing :D Finally after waiting an extra 10-15 minutes, the right bus picked everyone up from Terminal 5 and took us to 9. I think it took about 1/2 hour to get the 100 yards between terminals.

Fortunately Delta has a single terminal for international arrivals and domestic departures at JFK... It is surprisingly easy for that monster airport.

However, I am hoping to be with Irina for her interview.

I think Delta will end up being $500+ more than the lowest priced competitor (2 tickets). However, the times on the other airlines are not very convenient. I have a 5:00 (or so) train to catch from Moscow to Yoshkar-Ola. If I miss it, it will cost me a whole day in Moscow. On the return, I get to Moscow around 8:00 AM. I need a bit of time to get to the airport. Again, I don't want to loose another day because of not being able to schedule the train trip to Moscow and the flight out on the same day.

Essentially it saves me 2 days off of work to find a "convenient" flight. (or gives me 2 extra "priceless days" to spend with Irina and her family), plus it saves about $200 in hotel bills.

------ Clifford ------