Petitoner must take trip

My fiance told me today that her friend went for her third K-i visa...here'es how it went down..

Interview #1..(boyfriend not in Guangzhou for interview) .vo says he is not convinced fiance can speak enough english, so he requests a cassette audotape of her having a conversation with fiance DENIED

Interview #2 fiance returns with cassette and is told by VO that audiotape recording is not enoughj,,,then requests a video of a conversation between her and her fiance DENIED

Interview #3 Fiance returns, but this time her boyfriend is waiting outside the consulate...She has carried his passport, credit cards, social security card, drivers license, and blank check into the interview......ACCEPTED!

My friends, there is no doubt left in my mind....in addition to correct paperwork, tax records, letters, call records, bank statements, and maybe a copy of the receipt for her ring, nothing will serve as better evidence of the relationship than your presence at the interview.....While we haven't been officially notified, I am convinced they are leaning favorably torwards those whomake that return trip to China ......That's why I'm going back when she has an interview date....she'll be carrying all the above into the interview..she will also be carrying our translator machine with her..

Goota go if you want her here quickly!!!!! Thanks to Carl for being so clear and helpful

I've said it several times, but don't know that it really stood out, the VO told my wife that there are 3 things that they tend to look for.

1. How did you meet?

2. How many times has the petitioner been to see you?

3. Not asked but noted - is he waiting outside for you?

Dean

Lovely news, but it does me no good. If her interview comes up before March of next year (which admittedly it may not making this a moot point) I will have no vacation to take, unless I want to risk my job. If she's initially denied, because of something like that, then I'll go anyway, but unless that happens we'll just have to hope for the best.

There are still many applicants who are being approved without this happening. I'll just have to hope for the best there. Besides, if they claim Jun's English is too poor I will be shocked. It may not be "native-level" but we have never used a translator or anything of the sort, as a matter of fact she translates for her parents so I can talk to them. The only problem we ever ran into is pronunciation. (pronouncing "snack" as "snake" for example).

As much as I hate not being able to be there with her, I'm going to just have to hope it goes through without me there, as I'd rather have a job, and a time to spend with her 100% on her arrival to the US to show her around personally and help with the transition.

Thanks for posting this info - if anyone has info to add, I would appreciate it.

:)

My two cents -- going to the interview may or may not help. Someone once told a story when the petitioner went. The VO saw he was a few decades older than the gal. Denied. Urban myth? Who knows?

I didn't go. But, I met my fiancee on three different occasions. We had tons of paperwork. I really never worried about the interview, as long as it was fair. The VO was pleasant from the beginning and the interview lasted a few minutes. She gave my wife that "slam dunk" feeling.

My two cents as well. Bing also had plenty of evidence. I sent her a folder that weighed fifteen pounds. She also had a video of us talking via microphone and webcam on Yahoo messenger. The VO wouldn't look at it.

I believe being at the interview makes a big difference if the VO knows you are there. Even if it didn't make any difference though you are there and ready to handle it if she/he is denied. If I had been at Bing's interview we could have resolved the problem right away saving her a two week delay and another trip to GZ. hind sight is 20 20 and if I had it to do over again I damn sure would be there. It is just too important not to do everything you possibly can.

My two cents -- going to the interview may or may not help. Someone once told a story when the petitioner went. The VO saw he was a few decades older than the gal. Denied. Urban myth? Who knows?

Hmmm????

They have all the paperwork, birthdates are on the applications. They also require pictures of both people, and now that passport pictures and drivers license pictures are electronic, they can probably be downloaded too. Generally couples also submit pictures of themselves together (not sure if this is a requirement, but it is expected).

Seeing the old dude may drive it home, but his being there isn't the only thing that would show an age difference.

And, can you really base a relationship on some numbers?

The average age difference in international marriages with Russian-American and Chinese-American couples is likely higher than average in the USA.

However, it is not uncommon for American men to marry younger American women in their second or third marriages.

---------------------------------

If they really wanted a real interview…. Observe the couple in the waiting room…. Then, put them together in a private room and observe them….. Then interview the couple together…. Finally separate the two, and interview them separately…. Send them back into the waiting room (or the private room) and observe them a bit longer. Finally compile the data, and make a decision. It might take about an hour or so to make a well informed decision.

Let's see, it costs $100 for an interview. That should pay for at least an hour of time.

Heck, with a bit of practice, I bet an astute interviewer should be able to predict over 95% of the "false" relationships, as well as those that are headed for divorce within the next decade.

Of course, perhaps giving them the tools they really need would give them too much power…. I want them to be able to determine whether they think I have a valid relationship NOW, not whether the relationship has a chance to dissolve in the future.

----- Clifford -----

Thanks for posting this info - if anyone has info to add, I would appreciate it.

:ph34r:

I didn't go. But, I met my fiancee on three different occasions. We had tons of paperwork. I really never worried about the interview, as long as it was fair. The VO was pleasant from the beginning and the interview lasted a few minutes. She gave my wife that "slam dunk" feeling.

I remember the incident of the older man younger woman. As I recall she was in her 30s and he was 70 something. I don't know if they ever did resolve the situation.

The interview only lasts 5 - 10 minutes generally. How can you possibly make a decision within that length of time. I agree with Carl, I think the decision is made before with the information they have at hand. If they think it might be questionable and he is not present at the consulate, blue slips are easily produced. If he shows up, then this can answer a lot of questions in their mind. I, for one, am going to be there at the interview. I felt bad for Carl when Bing got her blue slip, but I also appreciate his sharing with us so we all learn the process much better.