Question about EAD??

Hey guys!Thanks to the help of all of you on CFL as well as the lovely ladies on 001, eventually i'm already in the U.S.

Got here 2 weeks a go on my K1 visa. Got my SSN yesterday which only took 1 week from the day we went to our local SSA applied for it.Good start i think?!

So, Rikk and i are plannning to get married next month. And i'm wonderring if i could apply for the work permit-EAD before we get married??And if i could apply for it now who/where should i contact??

Thanks for any advice!!

I think that you can file for EAD off your K-1 pre marriage, but it cannot be renewed. This would put you in the (a)(6) category. What I think this means is that you'll have to file again as a ( c)(9) category with your AOS or while it's pending. But, I'll be the first to admit that the instructions for the EAD are confusing.

I think EADs for the (a)(6) category are filed at the Service Centers, but EADs for the ( c)(9) category are filed where you file the AOS - usually the local office.

Since you would only be saving a month or so (assuming the service centers are as fast as the local offices in processing EADs), you might just want to wait, save the extra filing fee and do it at the same time as your AOS.

Just my 2 cents.